Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,555x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    So, because someone is a Muslim, that makes them a presumed criminal who deserves the death penalty? Actually, when I mentioned the part about the 11-year-old, I was thinking about a certain Christian sect right here in the Southwestern U.S.
    Mormons?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These discussions are always fascinating. Morality, ethics and values quickly become objectively true, concrete, obvious and indisputable just as soon as a "subjective" conscience is tweaked.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, because someone is a Muslim, that makes them a presumed criminal who deserves the death penalty? Actually, when I mentioned the part about the 11-year-old, I was thinking about a certain Christian sect right here in the Southwestern U.S.
    While it is true that FGM is practiced by some Christians, it is far more common among Muslims.

Granted, Jews, Muslims, and a lot of Christians practice male circumcision, and only Denmark seems to be ethically consistent enough to ban both FGM and that.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,267x in 12,390 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    While it is true that FGM is practiced by some Christians, it is far more common among Muslims.
    Granted, Jews, Muslims, and a lot of Christians practice male circumcision, and only Denmark seems to be ethically consistent enough to ban both FGM and that.
    I wasn't actually wasn't thinking of Christians when it comes to the FGM part of my post, but apparently in some countries it's a practice more common among Christians than Muslims.

There is no mention of FGM in the Bible. Christian missionaries in Africa were among the first to object to FGM, but Christian communities in Africa do practice it. In 2013 UNICEF identified 19 African countries in which at least 10 percent of Christian women and girls aged 15 to 49 had undergone FGM; in Niger, 55 percent of Christian women and girls had experienced it, compared with two percent of their Muslim counterparts.The only Jewish group known to have practised it are the Beta Israel of Ethiopia. Judaism requires male circumcision but does not allow FGM. FGM is also practised by animist groups, particularly in Guinea and Mali.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

It's a practice that pre-dates Islam, isn't mentioned in the Koran, and in many if not most Muslim communities it isn't practiced at all.

At any rate, my original point was simply the obvious one that justifying the killing of an individual, as one poster to this thread has suggested, because some adherents of that person's assumed religious Faith practice something abhorrent and inhumane is crazy.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rooster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 119x in 74 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    How do you feel about female genitalia mutilation?

It takes a big man?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't actually wasn't thinking of Christians when it comes to the FGM part of my post, but apparently in some countries it's a practice more common among Christians than Muslims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation

It's a practice that pre-dates Islam, isn't mentioned in the Koran, and in many if not most Muslim communities it isn't practiced at all.

At any rate, my original point was simply the obvious one that justifying the killing of an individual, as one poster to this thread has suggested, because some adherents of that person's assumed religious Faith practice something abhorrent and inhumane is crazy.
    FGM also predates Christianity. Granted, the hijab, niqab, and burka all predate Islam while are still treated as essential to Islam by many of its followers. By the same token, some Christians and Muslims treat FGM as essential to their faiths as well.

That's kind of the problem with the freedom of religion. There are cultural practices connected to religion that weren't necessarily started by the religion but are still treated as part of the religion. So, prohibiting some of these practices can be legally tricky. At the same time, it provides the ability to defend the religion from criticism by excusing it as "established before the faith."

Personally, I look at it like this. If a significant percentage of the global population of a religion treats a practice as essential to their faith, then that is representative of the religion regardless of when the practice began.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FGM also predates Christianity. Granted, the hijab, niqab, and burka all predate Islam while are still treated as essential to Islam by many of its followers. By the same token, some Christians and Muslims treat FGM as essential to their faiths as well.That's kind of the problem with the freedom of religion. There are cultural practices connected to religion that weren't necessarily started by the religion but are still treated as part of the religion. So, prohibiting some of these practices can be legally tricky. At the same time, it provides the ability to defend the religion from criticism by excusing it as "established before the faith."Personally, I look at it like this. If a significant percentage of the global population of a religion treats a practice as essential to their faith, then that is representative of the religion regardless of when the practice began.
    And that's fine - but believing it to be the case shouldn't cause you or I, let alone the legal system, to condemn, mistreat or discriminate against an individual based on what other adherents to that individual's Faith may or may not do.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's fine - but believing it to be the case shouldn't cause you or I, let alone the legal system, to condemn, mistreat or discriminate against an individual based on what other adherents to that individual's Faith may or may not do.
    Sure, I agree, although at the same time, one cannot say that something like the hijab does not represent Islam. By the same token, FGM represents a lot of cultures in Africa, which is why the applicable cultures should be condemned.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure, I agree, although at the same time, one cannot say that something like the hijab does not represent Islam. By the same token, FGM represents a lot of cultures in Africa, which is why the applicable cultures should be condemned.
    Which they are, of course, by virtually everyone in the world.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which they are, of course, by virtually everyone in the world.
    FGM perhaps, although I've seen plenty of progressives pretend that the hijab is some sort of feminist symbol. All of the Muslim garments are tools of oppression in much of the world. Apparently, that's "Islamophobic" to mention, however.

+ Reply to Thread