Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I think it depends on how bad off they think they will be without EU membership. Northern Ireland (56%-44%) and Scotland (62%-38%) both voted overwhelmingly to Remain, while England (53%-47%) and Wales (53%-48%) voted to Leave. Scotland will almost certainly back independence if the referendum is limited to JUST the Scots (instead of the bull$#@! 2014 referendum where any EU or UK citizen residing in Scotland could vote on it), Northern Ireland could go either way depending on how the British government handles the sticky border situation between Ireland and Northern Ireland. If the British government can't provide a solid border deal with Northern Ireland, I could see them voting for independence and EU membership at the same time.

The Welsh honestly might as well just be considered British, other than having their own culture and language there's not much of a movement there for independence and they still align with the Brits on Brexit.
    That makes sense. From an economic perspective, the Scots have the best shot at being self-sufficient. Northern Ireland has never really been that prosperous compared to its neighbors, and Wales is too small of an economy to really be independent in most respects.

If Northern Ireland voted for independence, it would definitely be over political reasons rather than economic reasons, whereas Scotland has a viable argument in both regards.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rationalist For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (12-14-2019),Ransom (12-14-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,474
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kilgram's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,503x in 1,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I was a $#@! for Catalan independence, lol. I think @Ethereal was there for those discussions, and old @kilgram (who was himself Catalan). I pushed that $#@! hard.
    Scotland would want to leave GB because they wanted to stay in the EU.

About Catalonia, well, they did the spectacle to distract people from their own corruption like the 3%. The Catalan government was pushed by the popular movement to try Independence. The party in the government never wanted it. Well, it fared wrongly because in the government there was not real will to get the independence.

To get the independence, I believe that the society, Catalan society in a bigger majority that it had needs to agree to get it by a legal referendum to avoid any conflict.
    WORK AND FIGHT FOR THE REVOLUTION AND AGAINST THE INJUSTICE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kilgram For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-25-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,558x in 94,978 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you.

Hope you are safe and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by kilgram View Post
    Scotland would want to leave GB because they wanted to stay in the EU.

About Catalonia, well, they did the spectacle to distract people from their own corruption like the 3%. The Catalan government was pushed by the popular movement to try Independence. The party in the government never wanted it. Well, it fared wrongly because in the government there was not real will to get the independence.

To get the independence, I believe that the society, Catalan society in a bigger majority that it had needs to agree to get it by a legal referendum to avoid any conflict.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,533
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,159x in 28,540 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    That makes sense. From an economic perspective, the Scots have the best shot at being self-sufficient. Northern Ireland has never really been that prosperous compared to its neighbors, and Wales is too small of an economy to really be independent in most respects.

If Northern Ireland voted for independence, it would definitely be over political reasons rather than economic reasons, whereas Scotland has a viable argument in both regards.
    When I lived in Europe, I once called our companies Welsh Engineering Manager English. I did not make that mistake again despite not quite understanding what he said. The tone was all I needed to hear.
    The vote is what it is. If certain territories wish to secede then they would have to deal with that.

Scotland is far more dependent on the UK and the US than they are on the EU for their business interests.
    Last edited by carolina73; 03-25-2020 at 03:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread