Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Do you think that victims of domestic or sexual violence (including human trafficking victims) who are not in the country legally should be able to access help (hospital, police, public services) without being reported to ICE?

Do you think that a victim should be able to go unreported so long as it results in the removal or prosecution of the abuser? If victims felt like they wouldn't be deported for reporting crimes against them, would it be more in the public interest to ignore the victim's immigration status in favor of handling the abuser?

Side note:
    There is a visa for individuals who are victims and can help prosecute perpetrators, but domestic violence is not that simple and is not really applicable. Same with sexual violence. Human trafficking may the exception, but it is reliant on the victim knowing extensive information that can help law enforcement with a successful prosecution. These visas are very difficult to get, and I think there may be a cap on it.
    That makes a certain amount of common sense. The primary issue with illegals is crime (at least according to Trump). Any caring society would provide services for women who have been abused and providing an incentive to give evidence against the unwanted perpetrators would actually save money in the long run.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I agree with you that legal immigration would be the best option, but the reality is that there are a large number of illegal immigrants and quite a few (as in, a ton) are victims of some form of repetitive and severe violence while in the United States. They are an extremely vulnerable population because it's easy to control them via their lack of legal status.

My position is that we should be considering human rights and the ripple effect of domestic and sexual violence. Illegal immigrants should be removed in most cases but I think victims need to feel like they can come forward. They need to come forward for many reasons, including to get help and safety for themselves, as well as to ensure that an abuser doesn't harm someone else, and to protect any children involved. It's not simply an immigration problem; it is a public safety issue, too.

I would certainly help any person who asked for my help to get away from an abuser. Citizen or not. And, I wouldn't rat them out if I suspected they were here illegally. But, extending personal help and changing government policy are two very different things in my opinion.

These women are in an awful situation, and I'm sympathetic to that -- this is one of those things that doesn't have a clear-cut answer. Perhaps we could expedite the approval of those who file a Form I-360. At least we have a process set up to help women escape their abusers, but, as you say, it's likely very difficult for them to navigate.

I think perhaps the best way to help these women is privately -- local groups who can help them fill out the forms and can provide a safe house while they're waiting for an answer. I work with a number of private charities, and I've found them to be much more effective than government agencies. And also, I don't think hospitals report patients when they think they're here illegally -- their main commitment is to helping the patient. It's only when law enforcement steps in that the issue of identity and legality crops up. So, the women will probably not be able to take advantage of law enforcement services until they obtain a WAVA green card, or they risk deportation. I don't think we can ask officers to turn a blind eye - they will necessarily have to follow whatever their regulations are in reporting to ICE.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,377x in 15,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Illegal Alien should access to any taxpayer funded services... ever.

Anyone who has knowledge of an Illegal Alien should be required, under penalty of law to report that person and his or her whereabouts to ICE. Every law enforcement agency in the country should be required, under penalty of law, to cooperate fully with federal authorities in the apprehension of Illegal Aliens in this country.

If a private entity wants to provide medical care, I have no problem with that. However, while providing that care, he, she, or they should also be notifying the authorities of the identity and location of the Illegal Alien so that person can be arrested and immediately deported. Visa overstays should no longer be a civil violation. Overstaying a visa should be a criminal offense and subject to the same penalties a border jumper faces. If a child is born in theUS of Illegal Alien parents, the child should become a ward of the federal government and the parents should be arrested and deported.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    No Illegal Alien should access to any taxpayer funded services... ever.

Anyone who has knowledge of an Illegal Alien should be required, under penalty of law to report that person and his or her whereabouts to ICE. Every law enforcement agency in the country should be required, under penalty of law, to cooperate fully with federal authorities in the apprehension of Illegal Aliens in this country.

If a private entity wants to provide medical care, I have no problem with that. However, while providing that care, he, she, or they should also be notifying the authorities of the identity and location of the Illegal Alien so that person can be arrested and immediately deported. Visa overstays should no longer be a civil violation. Overstaying a visa should be a criminal offense and subject to the same penalties a border jumper faces. If a child is born in theUS of Illegal Alien parents, the child should become a ward of the federal government and the parents should be arrested and deported.
    That seems harsh but I have to agree. Any crime committed in the US should be investigated and prosecuted but that cannot circumvent the law. Might that make a person reluctant to report a crime committed against them, yes, but one wonders if there would have been a crime if the person didn't come here illegally--not trying to blame that person necessarily but if she or he wasn't here illegally the crime might not have happened.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (12-17-2019)

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Kalkin's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,788x in 2,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A criminal being victimized by another criminal does not absolve the victim's previous criminal activities.
    "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time.
    One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition
    across a period of many years if he is
    to have a chance of succeeding"

~RZ67~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalkin For This Useful Post:

Chris (12-17-2019)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,249x in 1,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Uncivilized Do Not Qualify for Civil Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

If a child is born in theUS of Illegal Alien parents, the child should become a ward of the federal government and the parents should be arrested and deported.
    Without the votes of the anchor babies, amnestees, and their descendants, the "Democrats" would lose most elections in landslides. Retroactively taking away the citizenship of all those misfits is the only democratic policy, all of which the former majority must enact and not the transnationalist traitors who legislate in our place.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders

We won't live free until the Democrats, and their voters, live in fear.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    EvilCat Breath's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 965x in 637 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deport them all.

VAWA is the worst law to have ever been passed. I'd go back and have every person that claimed VAWA protection deported.

The incentive for women to fabricate a VAWA claim is enormous. Most of them do. They have destroyed men's lives for nothing.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
    They deserve to be victims, because the country they have invaded is a victim of them. Anyone who victimizes them is doing us a favor. Letting criminals have their way with illegal aliens will discourage others from invading a country where they are not wanted and no one cares what happens to them.
    You eat babies too?
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

+ Reply to Thread