User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Reese Witherspoon Took Charge of Her Career and Changed Hollywood

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,582x in 25,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post How Reese Witherspoon Took Charge of Her Career and Changed Hollywood

I really like Reese Witherspoon. My daughters watched her movies and I watched with them and came to enjoy her. This story is about her taking control of her career and it's pretty inspiring.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...lywood-1260203

thr_-_reese_witherspoon_-_photographed_by_melodie_mcdaniel_-_splash_-_2019.jpg

imgp2940_copy_2-embed_2019_thr.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (12-19-2019),Common (12-18-2019),Cotton1 (12-19-2019),Docthehun (12-18-2019)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has herself together, she made one very interesting point, about the people that complain how much money she makes.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (12-19-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Witherspoon is a friend of the camera, just as I am a fan of the images. Like numerous other actresses, she has included herself, dubiously enough, on the list of Weinstein's female misconduct assailants, detractors and whiners.

In this, I suppose a case could be made that ... actually, no, a case cannot be made ... IMHO ... and about the only thing everyone can agree upon is that Hollywood is whatever the current euphemism is for "sinful". And so it would be on that contrived "even playing field" lie that any actress can be judged.

I think the term for this contrivance is "girl power", and she's all about that. I'm no fan, though the first "Legally Blonde" was okay. I like that other blonde actress a lot better, but can't think of her name just now.

An aside -- as a recovering movies junkie, I have long since cancelled Netflix and sold my shares (about $7-8 at the time), and thereafter reduced my motion picture consumption by about 100%. Weinstein had nothing to do with that, of course, and Witherspoon has never been on my radar. Whenever I see a flick that I think I'd like to consume, I just wait to carefully consider the viewer and audience reviews on the internet. Who is in it doesn't really matter.

It's like the miracle cure, and here are a few details I'll share:

Several -- like 10-15 or so -- years ago now, I reviewed a ton of flicks -- I mean hundreds, so many I can't remember just what I have watched. But dang if all those reviews aren't on a hard drive I don't use, and was too dumbass to transfer them to the new drive. Toward the end of my addiction, before my revelation, I was convinced that they almost all follow a plot forumla -- one that even has a time element -- like a plug-in -- for development. It strongly suggested that only plot details and nuances need be plugged in and voila! -- a new movie, made about as cheap as cheap can get for writing that's just as saleable as the last movie, a lot like buttered popcorn. This isn't to besmirch the actors; they're already getting besmirched by their studios.

Ha ha ha, of course that doesn't mean ticket prices go down, you silly goose. Ha ha ha. It doesn't even mean less "global warming" ha ha ha -- because bigger private jets and stuff -- I mean, to use their own hypocritical logic.
    Last edited by Lummy; 12-18-2019 at 01:34 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (12-19-2019)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,537x in 55,960 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How has she "changed" Hollywood? I don't remember seeing any of her movies, but then I'm not much of a movie watcher.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Witherspoon is a friend of the camera, just as I am a fan of the images. Like numerous other actresses, she has included herself, dubiously enough, on the list of Weinstein's female misconduct assailants, detractors and whiners.

In this, I suppose a case could be made that ... actually, no, a case cannot be made ... IMHO ... and about the only thing everyone can agree upon is that Hollywood is whatever the current euphemism is for "sinful". And so it would be on that contrived "even playing field" lie that any actress can be judged.

I think the term for this contrivance is "girl power", and she's all about that. I'm no fan, though the first "Legally Blonde" was okay. I like that other blonde actress a lot better, but can't think of her name just now.

An aside -- as a recovering movies junkie, I have long since cancelled Netflix and sold my shares (about $7-8 at the time), and thereafter reduced my motion picture consumption by about 100%. Weinstein had nothing to do with that, of course, and Witherspoon has never been on my radar. Whenever I see a flick that I think I'd like to consume, I just wait to carefully consider the viewer and audience reviews on the internet. Who is in it doesn't really matter.

It's like the miracle cure, and here are a few details I'll share:

Several -- like 10-15 or so -- years ago now, I reviewed a ton of flicks -- I mean hundreds, so many I can't remember just what I have watched. But dang if all those reviews aren't on a hard drive I don't use, and was too dumbass to transfer them to the new drive. Toward the end of my addiction, before my revelation, I was convinced that they almost all follow a plot forumla -- one that even has a time element -- like a plug-in -- for development. It strongly suggested that only plot details and nuances need be plugged in and voila! -- a new movie, made about as cheap as cheap can get for writing that's just as saleable as the last movie, a lot like buttered popcorn. This isn't to besmirch the actors; they're already getting besmirched by their studios.

Ha ha ha, of course that doesn't mean ticket prices go down, you silly goose. Ha ha ha. It doesn't even mean less "global warming" ha ha ha -- because bigger private jets and stuff -- I mean, to use their own hypocritical logic.
    There is a formula. The villian is usually brought in at about the 20 minute mark etc. Lemme see if i can find a link

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-for...-a-film-script
    Last edited by Cotton1; 12-19-2019 at 04:20 AM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    How has she "changed" Hollywood? I don't remember seeing any of her movies, but then I'm not much of a movie watcher.
    I liked her in Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama. I think there was another movie she was good in maybe it was " mud"? Ill look it up.

Here it is. Filmed in South Arkansas https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/
    Last edited by Cotton1; 12-19-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    She has herself together, she made one very interesting point, about the people that complain how much money she makes.
    Shes made a lot. I have no problem with it. Strike while the iron is hot. In her case its been in an uptrend that is exponential at times https://www-celebritynetworth-com.cd...n-net-worth%2F
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,765x in 13,676 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I liked her in Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama. I think there was another movie she was good in maybe it was " mud"? Ill look it up.

Here it is. Filmed in South Arkansas https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/
    She was also great as June Carter in Walk The Line. So was Joaquin Phoenix. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358273/

Last edited by countryboy; 12-19-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (12-19-2019),The Sage of Main Street (12-19-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,582x in 25,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the suggestion is that she's changed Hollywood by controlling her career more so than others had. As for the suggestion that she jumped on the 'metoo' bandwagon, I want to point out that she indicated that she was 16 at the time. https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...hen-she-was-16
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The highest grossing movie of 2019 that focused on a single character was Captain Marvel starring Brie Larsen. Wonder Woman remains the highest grossing superhero origin film of all time. The movies that people tend to see in the theater multiple times and recommend to everyone they know are genre films of one kind or another - escapist fare with a lot of action that really must be seen on a big, big screen to be appreciated. That doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that a female actor has to put on a spandex suit or a metal bustier to be successful or to earn a big payday - but the studios don't generally pay the big bucks for actors to appear in films unless those films' box office will support the investment.

Witherspoon has discovered the secret to having true success in Hollywood these days, regardless of whether you're a man or a woman: she's what used to be called "a mover and a shaker". She doesn't sit back and wait for the casting director to call her to come and do the acting thing; she oversees projects whether she's going to appear in them at all; she brain storms tie-ins; she has diversified her talent into multiple forms and assured herself and those who work with and for her of multiple revenue streams and mutually lucrative deals. The days of the highest paid actors being the ones who just come in and smile and look pretty, or flex their muscles for the camera, are pretty much over.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (12-19-2019)

+ Reply to Thread