User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leisure the Basis of Labor

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Leisure the Basis of Labor

Leisure the Basis of Labor is a review of Michael J. Naughton's Getting Work Right: Labor and Leisure in a Fragmented World. Here's what caught my attention. I think too much in modern life we Adam 1s and have lost sight of being Adam IIs.

With regard to a life of competing halves, Dr. Naughton looks at the understanding of the “two Adams” in the great Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik’s work. Rabbi Soloveitchik saw the depiction of the creation of man in Genesis 1 with the command to have dominion over the earth and subdue it as a depiction of one dimension of human existence. This “Adam I” is driven by the desire to know and to do and to solve problems. The depiction of “Adam II” in Genesis 2 is that of “man the receiver,” a contemplative being who “seeks meaning not primarily in his achievements but in his received relationships with family, friends, and God, as well as in the experience of the natural world: sickness, death, love, suffering, and play.” The problem has been with us always, perhaps particularly with men, but especially in a dynamic commercial society do people feel that the Adam I side of our existence is encouraged and nourished, but the Adam II side is starved and left for later. We are not urged to be contemplative but to think instrumentally about the world. What can I do with X? How can I make more money? How can I advance my career? These are all good questions, but they are not the deepest questions.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (12-28-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,966x in 55,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Briefly, Adam I seeks to conquer. Adam II seeks to serve others. Both are necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (12-28-2019)

+ Reply to Thread