Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    I think what you’re asking is do ideologies shape us into what we are, or are we in control of the ideas that help shape society? Ideologies shape us into how we think and behave, but we are given a choice as to the type of ideas that will shape those values in elections. Would America ever vote communist? No, but it would and has voted to ‘spread the wealth around’ and for the collectivization behind ‘you didn’t build that on your own’, which is text book Marxism. So politicians do have the power to influence society and change us to reflect their own ideology and values. In turn we internalize those values as if they were our own and become replicas of it.

There’s a term used in sociology which states, ‘society precedes the individual’ and what that means is we are born into an ideology that was already there. The dominant ideology in place will shape not only how we think and behave, but also influences our worldview; how we view the rest of the world in comparison to our own values. Some will later understand the equality of values, but most will echo their own indoctrination and adopt nationalism.

It’s why the west hasn’t been able to bring democracy to Islamic societies, either through ‘Arab Springs’ or by force and why the often use phrase ‘everyone wants democracy’ is misleading. Would the North Koreans rise up if they were invaded? No, they’d fight to retain their values and culture, just as we would for ours. We are products of our society and they of theirs and that’s often misunderstood especially by a large section of American society who can’t understand why people wouldn’t want to be like them.
    Very well stated. Thanks. That actually answered my question in a direct manner as opposed to ambiguously considering how wide open my question was. Thanks again

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Refugee (01-05-2020)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Very well stated. Thanks. That actually answered my question in a direct manner as opposed to ambiguously considering how wide open my question was. Thanks again
    You’re welcome, ask away. Political science is something generally missing on forums, which is rather odd considering it’s about politics. Beliefs are fun, but they rarely hit the spot and why there’s so much arguing.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You’re welcome, ask away. Political science is something generally missing on forums, which is rather odd considering it’s about politics. Beliefs are fun, but they rarely hit the spot and why there’s so much arguing.
    I look at politics with a broad stroke. I try not to get too involved in the day to day details like "mueller said this or that". At the end of the day politics is a lot posturing etc. However, from the behavioral science standpoint I do find it interesting.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at politics with a broad stroke. I try not to get too involved in the day to day details like "mueller said this or that". At the end of the day politics is a lot posturing etc. However, from the behavioral science standpoint I do find it interesting.
    Forums generally use opinions and beliefs, political and social science supplies the answers, but it’s not much fun as it ignores the polarization which is the ‘fun’ part itself. Societies are constructs and as such can be deconstructed using critical theory to see what makes them tick. When you know what’s inside the ‘engine’, you can also often predict how it’s going to perform and when it’s not running right.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forums generally use opinions and beliefs, political and social science supplies the answers, but it’s not much fun as it ignores the polarization which is the ‘fun’ part itself. Societies are constructs and as such can be deconstructed using critical theory to see what makes them tick. When you know what’s inside the ‘engine’, you can also often predict how it’s going to perform and when it’s not running right.
    Thats a bit of what I am doing as alluded to in post #4. Its fun and a bit fascinating to see how the parts of the sum construct the sum. Unlike art, music etc where the parts of the sum have to be coherent one to the other, politics is an anomaly.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a bit of what I am doing as alluded to in post #4. Its fun and a bit fascinating to see how the parts of the sum construct the sum. Unlike art, music etc where the parts of the sum have to be coherent one to the other, politics is an anomaly.
    My advice would be to start with cultural Marxism and that will take you through the Obama years. I give an explanation of it here (no need to download, scroll down to read). Then for Trump read up on nationalism and the difference between patriotism. A very brief summary is here. Understanding ideologies and how they work also provides an insight into how politicians adapt them to suit the current era, whilst trying to convince populations they’ve discovered something new.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,861x in 10,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group think is just a way to insult those who disagree with you. I have beliefs and you have beliefs. If they are the same, it is not group thin. It is just two people who agree.

Group think is an excuse. not valid thinking.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (01-06-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, ‘groupthink’ is based on beliefs, but when we run our lives based on beliefs don’t we miss out on reality and isn’t that more important? You can see the results of a belief system across the forum, as one side battles it out with another using sound bites and beliefs which have become so indoctrinated they’ve become facts.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I look to modifying my own data that I will have someone substantially brighter than I take the parts and create an algorithmic sum. Said algo that I envision has zero aspiration to be the best , brightest or most expensive. We already have a generation or two that do not know their way around the Dewey Decimal. We have people who can only text, not have a convo. My last gf said for me to " eat sht and die" via text. We do not have regular families. My last nice convo with my people at home having dinner was me saying " daddy loves Angel " to a cat. Even worse it ran away summer of 17'. Life sucks. With my algo for everyman im going to use certain ping points that will allow you to adjust the intelligence of it to the listeners iq. Artificial Intelligence meet Artificial Dummy
    Im not kidding

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look to modifying my own data that I will have someone substantially brighter than I take the parts and create an algorithmic sum. Said algo that I envision has zero aspiration to be the best , brightest or most expensive. We already have a generation or two that do not know their way around the Dewey Decimal. We have people who can only text, not have a convo. My last gf said for me to " eat sht and die" via text. We do not have regular families. My last nice convo with my people at home having dinner was me saying " daddy loves Angel " to a cat. Even worse it ran away summer of 17'. Life sucks. With my algo for everyman im going to use certain ping points that will allow you to adjust the intelligence of it to the listeners iq. Artificial Intelligence meet Artificial Dummy
    Im not kidding
    You’ve lost me. Algorithmic sums, Dewey decimals, artificial intelligence … I do social and political science.

+ Reply to Thread