User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it just random chance?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,250x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    If evolution can explain how life arose from single-celled life existing approximately 4 billion years ago then there is no need to propose an intelligent being as the source for the creation of life on our planet.
    Perhaps not for you or me; others obviously feel differently.

Even if an intelligent being is assumed as creating the first single-celled life forms, humans and all other subsequent life forms would still be the products of natural processes.
    And a Believer would say, "natural processes designed and created by God".

It might be inappropriate to ask a question beginning with "why" if there is no answer. Asking "Why are we here?" assumes that there is some reason or purpose for us being here.
    If you think about it, though, believing that there is NO purpose in our being here is also an assumption.

I think that it is very difficult to make the argument that an intelligent being has had any influence on either the origin of life or the diversity of life.
    A logical argument for faith in an intelligent Creator is something of a contradiction in terms. Faith, as the Christian Bible clearly states is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1) .The difficulty arises when someone who prides themselves on logical, rational and fact-based thinking wants to employ those methods in defending their religious faith; not only is it not possible - more to the point, it isn't necessary. If it were something that one could figure out and defend on a logical basis, it would be something other than faith, would it not?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,420x in 54,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If evolution can explain how life arose from single-celled life existing approximately 4 billion years ago then there is no need to propose an intelligent being as the source for the creation of life on our planet.

Even if an intelligent being is assumed as creating the first single-celled life forms, humans and all other subsequent life forms would still be the products of natural processes.

It might be inappropriate to ask a question beginning with "why" if there is no answer. Asking "Why are we here?" assumes that there is some reason or purpose for us being here.

I think that it is very difficult to make the argument that an intelligent being has had any influence on either the origin of life or the diversity of life.

Evolutionary theory doesn't address the question of how life started, just how life evolved.

would still be the products of natural processes
    Which were created how? You can thus posit a creator God.

Intelligent Design is bunk, it makes God in the image of man.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Padme's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 565x in 411 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think it really matters... Whether evolution or creationism, there was a beginning. Whether if there was a big bang or not, there was an origin...A point from which it went forward. I happen to believe, the one who lives upstairs had something to do with it, but that is me and that is in what I believe.

"Master Skywalker said you should teach me about politics." - Padme Amidala

+ Reply to Thread