User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanity at Last: Court Refuses to Require use of “identified” Pronouns

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Sanity at Last: Court Refuses to Require use of “identified” Pronouns

Federal Court Refuses to Require use of identified Personal Pronouns — this is not unexpected in my opinion. Read the opinion and then read the article. I have attached both links.

"First, no authority supports the proposition that we may require litigants, judges, court personnel, or anyone else to refer to gender-dysphoric litigants with pronouns matching their subjective gender identity."

http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...-40016-CR0.pdf

https://pjmedia.com/trending/sanity-...self-faerself/

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (01-18-2020),IMPress Polly (01-18-2020),Peter1469 (01-18-2020),stjames1_53 (01-18-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good decision.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (01-18-2020)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often when I see these news pieces from biased sources, I wonder about the dumbing down of America, a concept that appears lost as our public educational system is underfunded and our religious or private schools grow. But it isn't just dumbing but constant distractions. This guys wish is bizarre as what purpose would it serve. Language changes with time and use, not because of court rulings. Look at Ms for instance. But today much media has become a tool of the state and power. Fox, OAN, and other so called conservative sites demonstrate this fact. No longer news, they appeal to a particular tribe and present opinions rather than analysis. But what is their state and government and what purpose do they hope to accomplish by tearing it down. That site has more nonsense about Comey? It seems all you need is a foe and you have the right wing tribes in America in your pocket. Sad.

'Overall, we rate PJ Media to be borderline Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks, however they do fall just below the threshold and are therefore rated Right Biased and Mixed for factual reporting.'

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/pj-media/

One question is how did we get so divided everything becomes the enemy. Now the 'state / government' is the enemy for many on the right especially. How dangerous is that. Education appears lost as even education is criticized if you are not in line with ideology.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Often when I see these news pieces from biased sources, I wonder about the dumbing down of America, a concept that appears lost as our public educational system is underfunded and our religious or private schools grow. But it isn't just dumbing but constant distractions. This guys wish is bizarre as what purpose would it serve. Language changes with time and use, not because of court rulings. Look at Ms for instance. But today much media has become a tool of the state and power. Fox, OAN, and other so called conservative sites demonstrate this fact. No longer news, they appeal to a particular tribe and present opinions rather than analysis. But what is their state and government and what purpose do they hope to accomplish by tearing it down. That site has more nonsense about Comey? It seems all you need is a foe and you have the right wing tribes in America in your pocket. Sad.

'Overall, we rate PJ Media to be borderline Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks, however they do fall just below the threshold and are therefore rated Right Biased and Mixed for factual reporting.'

One question is how did we get so divided everything becomes the enemy. Now the 'state / government' is the enemy for many on the right especially. How dangerous is that. Education appears lost as even education is criticized if you are not in line with ideology.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. Its all Conservatives fault for not following insane progressive thinking. Right? Am I right?

Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's good news but just stands against the tide. More common will be "An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code (Bill C-16, 2016) is a law passed by the Parliament of Canada. The law adds gender expression and gender identity as protected grounds to the Canadian Human Rights Act, and also to the Criminal Code provisions dealing with hate propaganda, incitement to genocide, and aggravating factors in sentencing." This is the act Jordan Peterson argues compels speech.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,040x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often when I see these news pieces from biased sources, I wonder about the dumbing down of America, a concept that appears lost as our public educational system is underfunded and our religious or private schools grow. But it isn't just dumbing but constant distractions. This guys wish is bizarre as what purpose would it serve. Language changes with time and use, not because of court rulings. Look at Ms for instance. But today much media has become a tool of the state and power. Fox, OAN, and other so called conservative sites demonstrate this fact. No longer news, they appeal to a particular tribe and present opinions rather than analysis. But what is their state and government and what purpose do they hope to accomplish by tearing it down. That site has more nonsense about Comey? It seems all you need is a foe and you have the right wing tribes in America in your pocket. Sad. 'Overall, we rate PJ Media to be borderline Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks, however they do fall just below the threshold and are therefore rated Right Biased and Mixed for factual reporting.'
    Hold on a second. Did you actually read the court opinion? That was my first link. I saw the headline, looked for a court link and went there. Had it not been there, I'd have gone to Westlaw or Google. I didn't even read the PJ-Media article, but I did read the Appellate Court opinion -- did you?

Does the PJ-Media article fairly and accurately reflect the court's decision?

What difference does it make where the article was if I linked to the Official Opinion from the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit?
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Hold on a second. Did you actually read the court opinion? That was my first link. I saw the headline, looked for a court link and went there. Had it not been there, I'd have gone to Westlaw or Google. I didn't even read the PJ-Media article, but I did read the Appellate Court opinion -- did you?

Does the PJ-Media article fairly and accurately reflect the court's decision?

What difference does it make where the article was if I linked to the Official Opinion from the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit?
    Many on the left feel shooting the messenger is rational.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-18-2020)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A review of Jacoby's The Age of American Unreason, THE CORROSION OF THE AMERICAN MIND:

...Jacoby easily skewers disgruntled conservative critics of social change, such as Allan Bloom, who couldn't even get his facts straight, but she recognizes the left-wing *anti-*intellectualism that appeared to justify his wrath: While campus protests of the late ’60s were generally motivated less by concerns about the curriculum than outrage over higher education’s military and corporate ties, she stresses, a “vocal, vulgar, and stupid” minority of activists busied themselves categorically denouncing the works of Dead White European Males. Their demands partly reflected what Jacoby condemns as “resistance to the idea of aesthetic hierarchy,” which she regards as a regrettably powerful leg*acy that helped shape the proud *anti-*intellec*tualism of celebrity culture *today.

...Opposition to hierarchy, aesthetic and otherwise, which flourished among multiculturalists and other “progressive” descendents of this influential decade, focused much more on rearranging hierarchies than on destroying them. Identity politics and repressive codes regarding speech, civility, and harassment on college campuses exemplify the unthinking moral dogmatism of these putative relativists....

In fact, identity politics, enforced by speech codes, creates highly irrational, unsafe environ*ments for people who violate its strictures, as the three Duke University lacrosse players famously and shamefully indicted for a rape that obviously never occurred might testify. Their accusers assumed their guilt, ignoring the facts of the case and focusing instead on the students’ identity as relatively affluent white athletes, who insensi*tively hired a black female stripper for a team *party.

Unaccountably, Jacoby does not address the virulent unreason of identity politics on Amer*ican campuses today or the pervasive liberal academic embrace of censorship, both of which pose obvious threats to free inquiry and the knowledge of civics for which she longs....

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,264x in 20,295 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Federal Court Refuses to Require use of identified Personal Pronouns — this is not unexpected in my opinion. Read the opinion and then read the article. I have attached both links.

"First, no authority supports the proposition that we may require litigants, judges, court personnel, or anyone else to refer to gender-dysphoric litigants with pronouns matching their subjective gender identity."

http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...-40016-CR0.pdf

https://pjmedia.com/trending/sanity-...self-faerself/

their sandbox, their rules..........................for now, anyway.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

+ Reply to Thread