Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    scotus is not creator
    Are you saying I said or even implied that?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,904x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    ...Their decision to have an abortion is theirs by right....
    And where did they obtain this right?
    scotus.
    So rights are created by the government?
    Rights are confirmed by Government....created by the creator....
    scotus is not creator
    Are you saying I said or even implied that?
    Pay attention.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay attention.
    To what? Nothing I said was incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up eating chicken eggs, some of which had been fertilized. They were quite different from an egg with a baby chicken in it. To discuss abortion and assume that a fertilized egg and a baby that was just born alive during an abortion are the same thing is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the position that wearing a condom is murder because it prevents a fertilized egg or killing any time in the first three years should be legal because the baby isn't a self-aware person.

"Just when you thought the religious right couldn’t get any crazier, with its personhood amendments and its attacks on contraception, here comes the academic left with an even crazier idea: after-birth abortion."
    https://slate.com/technology/2012/03...fanticide.html

This thread is like the media and appeals to the nuts at both extremes. That might be true of most threads on forums. The "all" and "nothing" dominate.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I grew up eating chicken eggs, some of which had been fertilized. They were quite different from an egg with a baby chicken in it. To discuss abortion and assume that a fertilized egg and a baby that was just born alive during an abortion are the same thing is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the position that wearing a condom is murder because it prevents a fertilized egg or killing any time in the first three years should be legal because the baby isn't a self-aware person.

"Just when you thought the religious right couldn’t get any crazier, with its personhood amendments and its attacks on contraception, here comes the academic left with an even crazier idea: after-birth abortion."
    https://slate.com/technology/2012/03...fanticide.html

This thread is like the media and appeals to the nuts at both extremes. That might be true of most threads on forums. The "all" and "nothing" dominate.

"a fertilized egg and a baby" are different stages in the development of a human being. It is still a human being.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "a fertilized egg and a baby" are different stages in the development of a human being. It is still a human being.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Chris, you are probably right about the definition of a human being including a fertilized egg. I never considered that to be the case until I found out that other individuals agree that a fertilized

egg is human or could be considered a human being. It doesn't seem reasonable to me. Should we consider it murder to intentionally destroy a fertilized egg based on how we define what a

human being is or should we use some common sense and say that a fertilized egg does not deserve equal protection because it lacks a brain. Your quote about all men being created equal

does not apply to a fertilized egg, which certainly is not a man or a woman.

From Sciencedaily.com, https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1003205930.htm

Two-thirds of all human embryos fail to develop successfully.

From: https://valerietarico.com/2015/01/09...e-the-duggars/

Most fertilized eggs spontaneously abort during the first weeks of life. Estimates of death before implantation range as high as 80 percent and bottom out around 45. More than thirty percent of those that do implant later die on the vine. This means that unprotected sex produces more dead fertilized eggs than live babies.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    Chris, you are probably right about the definition of a human being including a fertilized egg. I never considered that to be the case until I found out that other individuals agree that a fertilized

egg is human or could be considered a human being. It doesn't seem reasonable to me. Should we consider it murder to intentionally destroy a fertilized egg based on how we define what a

human being is or should we use some common sense and say that a fertilized egg does not deserve equal protection because it lacks a brain. Your quote about all men being created equal

does not apply to a fertilized egg, which certainly is not a man or a woman.

From Sciencedaily.com, https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1003205930.htm

Two-thirds of all human embryos fail to develop successfully.

From: https://valerietarico.com/2015/01/09...e-the-duggars/

Most fertilized eggs spontaneously abort during the first weeks of life. Estimates of death before implantation range as high as 80 percent and bottom out around 45. More than thirty percent of those that do implant later die on the vine. This means that unprotected sex produces more dead fertilized eggs than live babies.

Thanks.

To me, the answer to whether it's fair or not should rest with society, starting with the woman, the husband, the family, nuclear and extended, the community. Consideration should also be given to cases of rape and incest, and even to the mother's health.

It should not be a matter for the government to decide until society has.

The answer may well differ from community to community, state to state, and never reach a national consensus. The woman on up to the community ought to be responsible for its moral decisions.

All social issues ought to be so decided, responsibly, bottom-up, not top-down.

Now I am opposed to abortion but I should no more impose that on others than others impose it on me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-10-2020)

+ Reply to Thread