User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The fault line concerning abortion

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    warning

Warning

Discuss the topic.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-24-2020)

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    testsubjectalpha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,183x in 6,937 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You either take responsibility for your own offspring, or you don't. worst case being you kill your offspring created from your own lions.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,545
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,153x in 28,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It's not what point that I want to make. I'm just trying to direct traffic here. Your answer was:

You will have to explain to me how that equates to what you just said or didn't say, because you added 'or not' at the end of the sentence. I mean it's OK if the answer is not cut and dried, but if you want to say for instance that it's not about secularism or religious values but about women's variable attitudes, that's fine, but there are several millions of men who have a POV on the topic, so how their opinions break down in terms of secular or religious values still matter.
    I don't believe that. Morals are free of religion even though religion was the main tool to teach morals to the masses in the past. I meet more and more people younger than me that have not been brought up on religion or only were forced to as kids but they still have morals. In Europe only about 10% of the people attend church but they have restrictions on abortions and the US does not.
    Now, if you say "conception is life" then you are talking about the born again level style of religious in the vast majority of the cases (in my experience).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-26-2020)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,286x in 2,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Abortion, per se, affects no one but the woman, right? It is no one else's problem, and that's the way she has wanted it for decades. As it doesn't, per se, harm society, why should anyone care what she does. The father, of course, has little or no impact on such a decision. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to care, one way or another. It's between the woman and God. Politicians use it for -- ta-da! -- politics.

I am very opposed to body parts factories.
    This is a digression.

I thought that I indicated that I was emphatically not asking where one might stand on the matter of abortion per se. Rather, I was asking only if one's views are determined by whether one believes that this country should be ruled by secular values, or by the Judeo-Christian ethic.

Would you care to respond to the actual question, please?

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to say, yes, but, at the same time I don't think the line is completely solid, in other words, listen to someone who states they are adamantly against abortion (due to religious beliefs) and after the statement, a "but" followed (usually) by a very short list of exceptions.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have at least 4 members adamantly opposed to abortion who do not identify as religious so I'm not sure the divide is all that clear. You could argue that their perspectives originated in religious ideas but that's true of almost all of our values secularized or not.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-26-2020),jigglepete (01-24-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    We have at least 4 members adamantly opposed to abortion who do not identify as religious so I'm not sure the divide is all that clear. You could argue that their perspectives originated in religious ideas but that's true of almost all of our values secularized or not.
    It is also erroneous to state that the Judeo-Christian "thought" is more or less anti-abortion; it may be for most Christian denominations, but Judaism is a different story. The whole concept of "life" is different which fundamentally changes the argument, followed by the strong emphasis placed on the wellbeing of the mother (physical and mental).

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    It is also erroneous to state that the Judeo-Christian "thought" is more or less anti-abortion; it may be for most Christian denominations, but Judaism is a different story. The whole concept of "life" is different which fundamentally changes the argument, followed by the strong emphasis placed on the wellbeing of the mother (physical and mental).
    There is no such thing as Judeo-Christian thought anyway.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (02-16-2020)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I seriously doubt that we will come to any consensus as concerning the ethical (or non-ethical) nature of abortion-on-demand--at least, anytime within this generation. So I will not approach the matter directly.

But I will ask this:

Do others agree that one's stance on the matter is really determined by whether one believes that our country should be entirely (and unapologetically) secular, or should be underpinned by Judeo-Christian thought?

To reiterate, I am not asking for a re-litigation of the matter. I am merely asking if others would agree that this is the fault line.
    That's an excellent observation about abortion in general. It is not a logic based issue for most. I think for some their values are what matters without thought as to where national values come from.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    That's an excellent observation about abortion in general. It is not a logic based issue for most. I think for some their values are what matters without thought as to where national values come from.
    It is interesting to note that abortion is not a matter of Christian scripture, but rather one of dogma - and dogma evolves. Thus abortion is not equally condemned by all Christian sects. The biblical view of the fetus (both old and new Testament) was one of property, rather than one of personhood. Logic really doesn't come into the equation. Either certain Christian sects have adopted the view that life begins at conception (which is not biblical) or they consider it a secular issue or an issue left to the conscious considerations of the mother. Thus the abortion question cannot actually be split on secular vs religious lines of thought, because neither side comes to the question from a consistent point of view.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread