User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it a wise move to go South of the Border if one's health fails?

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Linux's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 35x in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a wise move to go South of the Border if one's health fails?

Since US nursing homes essentially confiscate one's wealth, wouldn't it make more sense to get cheaper and likely better care in Latin America? That would mean retaining the ability to spend money while being cared for. Once one's assets are depleted, THEN return to the US with no assets left to confiscate.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But then the cartels would get their hooks inna elderly...

... an' den ya wouldn't know how much money ya got...

... an' Uncle Ferd wouldn't know...

... if he's got enough money for a senorita?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-10-2020)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 78-years old and live in Oaxaca, Mexico. In the interest of full disclosure, I worry more about living too long than I do about dying too young.

When I was working as a police officer in the U.S. we were encountering a new type of crime towards the end of my career. It was elder abuse. Some were children caring for their parents the same way the parents cared for them. Didn't eat your oatmeal, smack. That's what happened when they were four-years old and now that they're 64 it's how they treat their 84-year old mother. What goes around seems to come around.

The other category was "caretakers". Some were volunteers and some were paid but a disturbing number were taking care of themselves. I remember one case where an old woman in a nursing home had all of her valuable "things" stolen but the administration said she was just senile. Actually, one of the employees of the nursing home had the jewelry and other valuables.

I had an old woman asked me how much she had to pay the police department to have them respond if she called. I was confused and she patiently explained she'd been signing checks for her "caretaker" each month for the police, fire department, and ambulance service to guarantee service but she didn't know how much each one got.

Three days ago I saw an acquaintance I hadn't seen in three months. I didn't recognize him. He had had a stroke, couldn't speak, couldn't use his arms or hands, and couldn't walk. I did recognize his friend. We chatted a bit but I was uncomfortable talking about David in front of David so I gave his friend a card and said, "If I can help, send me a text." The next day I got a message saying David had died. I think he was ready.

My maid was helping an old American woman who was one of the three meanest women I'd ever known. She had had a stroke and went into a nursing home and they evicted her a week later for causing trouble with everyone. My maid was hiring nurses to help the old woman but she said she couldn't get a nurse to stay for even a week. She contacted members of the old woman's family and they didn't want anything to do with her. My maid got the old woman into an assisted-living facility. She was still a $#@! but they kept her for two years. Then they threw her out. Through physical therapy the old woman had improved a bit and lived alone for some months. Then a cousin found out that the government in the U.S. would take the old lady and she got sent north.

She never had much money but money isn't the be all and end all in Oaxaca.

That said, it's been my experience that most U.S. citizens who move to Mexico last 12 to 18 months and then can't wait to leave. They make the shocking discovery that Mexico isn't at all like California and isn't going to change in their lifetime.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Padme (02-10-2020),Peter1469 (02-10-2020),waltky (02-10-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add that I can get adequate medical care if it's something I can plan for and schedule. If I fall down on the sidewalk with an emergency it's much like the U.S. was in 1966 when I became a cop and discovered the mortuaries ran the ambulance services.

So, if you're really wanting to live as long as possible as a vegetable, stay in California.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Padme (02-10-2020),waltky (02-10-2020)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Padme's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 565x in 411 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    So, if you're really wanting to live as long as possible as a vegetable, stay in California.
    The mental image was very funny... LOL I would not stay in California, though but I would stay in US for real!

One day, I was wondering what was it that made medicine in USA better? Was it really better or just, you know, propaganda? So, I started my own research... I am still researching, but one thing I looked into was the Nobel Prize winners in medicine and compared the findings with the rest of the world. Do you guys know how many Nobel Prize winners in medicine has The United States of America? That means, the excellence and academic achievements of North American physicians cannot compare to other countries. I write this without failing to recognize other physicians' equal importance and value around the world. Yes, perhaps, when compared with others in reference to bedside manners we are not at the same level, and, perhaps, we are actually awful. Yes, absolutely, there are plenty of issues to deal with in the medical attention to the population, but, hey, we are not perfect even when we strive... However, if a moody and cranky physician can save my life in 15 minutes or less, I pinky promise, I will deal with their arrogance and atrocious bedside manners. I promise! If I can go this afternoon or tomorrow to have an MRI with the latest technology because of a suspicious symptom, I will deal with the discomfort of having a doctor or technician rolling their eyes at me instead of having to wait for weeks or months -as it happens in countries with socialized medicine- in order to get the test that could help in my diagnosis and treatment. Health in the world is not an easy topic, but a very complicated one and unfortunately, this amazing country is not exempted. On the other hand, medical literature is written mainly in English. Spanish speaking countries have to wait for translation and publication in those countries. That means, the approximate time of publication is around 3-4 years to be on the safe side... How much and how fast do you think medicine changes? So, for a physician in Latin America it takes around 3-4 years to learn what physicians in USA are learning today... What medicine is better?!

"Master Skywalker said you should teach me about politics." - Padme Amidala

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,124x in 2,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux View Post
    THEN return to the US with no assets left to confiscate.
    Just be aware that Medicaid has a 'look back' rule....

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be why so many are leaving California...

... and moving to Texas.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend in the U.S. who retired and moved to the country. With each move he moved farther away from medical care. I'm not sure that's a good decision. When I lived in Colorado a lot of retired people bought homes in Red Feather Lakes, in the mountains, and then they realized it was a one-hour drive to the nearest hospital. They demanded a 24/7 helicopter service to fly them to the hospital. The county's response, "Move, Dummies."

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Padme's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 565x in 411 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I think about some things. If you are going to make the decision to build a house in risky areas for: Flood, hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, sinkholes, etc. make sure you get all the protection you can get and more... Prepare for what you would think was unexpected, when in reality it was you who certainly did not pay attention to the " little details" ! If you engage in risky behavior regarding your health - any risky behavior - enjoy the risk because is a hell of a trip, but make sure you are aware when the consequences hit you, it will knock you out and there will not be point of return.

"Master Skywalker said you should teach me about politics." - Padme Amidala

+ Reply to Thread