User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kent State - Video I hadn't seen

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Kent State - Video I hadn't seen

I thought I had seen ALL the footage out there from Kent State...until now. Reminded me of the Zapruder video of JFK. This was a powerful video, even without dialogue. Armed troops on a college campus. Because of a protest.

Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

jet57 (02-15-2020)

Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I thought I had seen ALL the footage out there from Kent State...until now. Reminded me of the Zapruder video of JFK. This was a powerful video, even without dialogue. Armed troops on a college campus. Because of a protest.

That night, the town of Kent was restless . After visiting the bars and becoming increasingly rowdy, crowds built bonfires in the streets, broke windows and threw bottles at police cars. The worried mayor of Kent, Leroy Satrom, declared a state of emergency in the town and called Gov. James Rhodes for help. In an action that inadvertently exacerbated the situation, Satrom also closed the bars. As a result, patrons spilled out into the street and joined the rioting crowds. Finally, the police dispersed the crowd using tear gas and encouraged students to return to campus.

Tensions only increased on Saturday. At about 5 p.m., Satrom asked Gov. Rhodes to dispatch the Ohio National Guard to Kent. He'd heard threats and rumors circulating and feared more riots like the night before [source: Lewis]. Before the Guard arrived, a crowd of about 1,000 protesters gathered around an ROTC building on Kent State's campus and burned it to the ground. Authorities never found out who was responsible for the fire, and protesters cut fire hoses to prevent the fire department from putting out the blaze [source: Heineman]. The National Guard reached Kent by 10 p.m. and broke up the crowd.
    https://history.howstuffworks.com/hi...ent-state1.htm

Propaganda is designed to be powerful.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I heard of the shooting I immediately labeled it "The Kent State Massacre" It wasn't long before that was the name we heard over the news. From what I remember it was the Ohio National Guard and someone in the Guard freaked out because of who knows what and opened fire on unarmed protesters. Then others in the guard also started firing. Completely unnecessary. A sad day for all. As a Vietnam Veteran I had mixed feelings about the protest. I was opposed to the protest because most of the protesters were only in favor of getting out of Vietnam because we were opposing the spread of communism. I saw the Vietnam War as a civil war between the North and the South and while I supported the South more than the North I felt, like Afghanistan today we had no right to be mixed up in that. I was particularly disgusted when one politician claimed we were not fighting for us and we would gain nothing from being involved. Therefore he said we were, because of our altruism, righteous in our battle. We lost over 50,000 young men and women for nothing.

Sad times. Lets hope history does not repeat itself.
    Last edited by nathanbforrest45; 02-13-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (02-13-2020)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More! And the crowd called out for more!

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    That night, the town of Kent was restless . After visiting the bars and becoming increasingly rowdy, crowds built bonfires in the streets, broke windows and threw bottles at police cars. The worried mayor of Kent, Leroy Satrom, declared a state of emergency in the town and called Gov. James Rhodes for help. In an action that inadvertently exacerbated the situation, Satrom also closed the bars. As a result, patrons spilled out into the street and joined the rioting crowds. Finally, the police dispersed the crowd using tear gas and encouraged students to return to campus.

Tensions only increased on Saturday. At about 5 p.m., Satrom asked Gov. Rhodes to dispatch the Ohio National Guard to Kent. He'd heard threats and rumors circulating and feared more riots like the night before [source: Lewis]. Before the Guard arrived, a crowd of about 1,000 protesters gathered around an ROTC building on Kent State's campus and burned it to the ground. Authorities never found out who was responsible for the fire, and protesters cut fire hoses to prevent the fire department from putting out the blaze [source: Heineman]. The National Guard reached Kent by 10 p.m. and broke up the crowd.
    https://history.howstuffworks.com/hi...ent-state1.htm

Propaganda is designed to be powerful.
    Saturday to Monday. Troops on a campus Sad.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They never show and have probably buried the actual footage of what caused the shooting and as it panned between the protesters and the national guard. I watched it LIVE as it happened on tv and this is what I saw.

A huge group of protesters on one side approx 150 yds from a national guard formation, the protesters started running towards the guard throwing rocks and bottles, you could see a guardsman I assume an officer with a loudspeaker yelling to them, they did not stop, when they were mid way one of the ill trained guard at the time fired and subsequently other guards fired. Should never had happened at that point

Those guardsman had none of the proper gear for riot patrol even at that point in time. They should have had water canons and tear gas and rubber bullets, instead of live rounds.

Back then the national guard was truly a two week once a year thing they were untrained to confront such a large protest. The whole incident was a calamity that turned tragic
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Saturday to Monday. Troops on a campus Sad.
    Burning down ROTC buildings. Sad.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (02-13-2020),Mister D (02-13-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,573x in 36,512 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dumb protest. Bad music.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (02-14-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Burning down ROTC buildings. Sad.
    On Saturday.

One of the problems was the national guardsmen had just come from a teamsters strike. Some of them were from my hometown. They were worn out, tired and hot. You don’t shoot students for protesting.

+ Reply to Thread