User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods that do not go bad and need no refrigeration.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foods that do not go bad and need no refrigeration.

On another thread we were discussing the Corona Virus and how it is spreading so quickly.

If so, some people in your locality may panic buy the shelves clean.

I mentioned now would be the time to get some stuff lie MREs and other things.

I would just like to make this thread as a public service to let some know there ARE some foods you can get now that last forever, or may seem so.

Honey...we have all heard of this.

Vinegar

Salt...much more essential than you may realize.

Sugar...any kind. It may become a hard rock, but it will still be good. You can also clean wounds very well with it.

Soy Sauce...keep the lid on it, and I have had one bottle last for months. Put a little in a shallow plate and all those annoying summer gnats will drown themselves in it.

Peanut butter....the Navy even keeps it in their lifeboats. Gives you protein and fats. Responders to disasters also bring it with them to distribute. I mix it with honey and cinnamon and take it on the trail with me. Yummy, and never goes bad.

Steen's Cane syrup...delightfully sweet and not near as bitter as molasses. I personally kept a bottle of it for three years without refrigeration and it was as sweet as the day i opened it. You can also get it in a can that keeps almost forever.

Freeze dried coffee....Nope, not as good as the delightfully brewed stuff, but it IS coffee, so...yeah. All you need is hot water.

Tea....when kept sealed up, it is great. Bigelo's has their in individual sealed packages.

Booze....nuff said...

White rice....you can add it to almost anything to keep your tummy full. I have never had any rice go bad on me.

There is more, but I gotta turn to and get some work done. Please feel free to ad to the list, but all I ask is you do not use internet sources as some are complete BS. Add to the list what you know personally that last a long time in your own experience. Link free zone here, please.

Tell us what you know, not what the internet says. A fellow member's health may depend on it.

If we are all forced to say in our homes as this virus crisis get any worse, we may all be swapping advice and recipes with each other.

Dave
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 02-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (10-19-2020),Just AnotherPerson (02-17-2020),Padme (02-17-2020),Peter1469 (02-17-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,430x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good bit of food and water stored up. If I had to stay inside my place due to circumstances, I could make it long term. Water would be the only issue after a month.

I don't have MREs- I understand they have come a long way since I was eating them in the Army. I never really bothered with the heater. I just ate them cold.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-17-2020)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have MRE's but I have stuff like beans and rice, oatmeal ramen noodles, peanut butter, salt, seasonings. Just the basics. Water is somewhat of an issue, but if worse comes to worse I have a military grade water purifier. I can get water from the lake if need be.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-17-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I dont have MRE's but I have stuff like beans and rice, oatmeal ramen noodles, peanut butter, salt, seasonings. Just the basics. Water is somewhat of an issue, but if worse comes to worse I have a military grade water purifier. I can get water from the lake if need be.
    Get one of those folding wire cart with the big wheels. Humping water uphill takes a lot out of you. I was lucky to have had one left in the basement of my ratty first house i bought in Nebraska. It was a God-send. Those big solid wheels roll over everything.

As an experiment, I took two seven gallon jugs and filled them at the lake 1/2 mile down the road. There was no way I could have done it without that cart. ...and it was only a slight rise. A two-wheeled wheel barrow would be fine too, but not a regular one. They tip over too easily.

Get this too and just keep it up in the top of your closet until needed. They will help you feel a bit better, too. I have two individual ones and a 3-pack at the top of the closet.

NOTE: I have used these and DO NOT...Please, DO NOT use them like the morons do in their advertisements. DO NOT stick your face down in the muck at the edge of the pond and start sucking. Use in combination with a cup, and scoop up water from a bit further out. Why ruin your nice filter with a lot of pond scum that collects at the edges.

I used mine out on a boat on a lake and just dipped the water out with a cup and used the straw to drink it. I DID NOT lean over the boat and try and directly suck it out of the lake. Dumb, dumb, dumb. yet this is how they show people using them. Dumb. Always use them with a cup.

I have no idea why they are showing people using them in that moronic way unless you just like mosquito bites on your face, or a frog jumping on it, or maybe a surprised snake hiding in the reeds. Just scoop up your water with a cup. ...and in your case, put your lake water in a DESIGNATED cup for that purpose and use that one, and only that one 100% of the time.

The Life Straw will filter out the ick, but it will still be on and in the cup. So just use that one cup exclusively.

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Per...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin308; 02-17-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to disagree but peanut butter will spoil eventually. It may take years but the oils will go rancid eventually

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Sorry to disagree but peanut butter will spoil eventually. It may take years but the oils will go rancid eventually
    Yes,...eventually. If it is just peanut butter.

I mix mine with honey and cinnamon and it is still good after twelve years. Though it is almost gone now.

...but to further clarify...I also stored the mix in a used fig preserves jar with a water-tight lid.

Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. Yes, you are correct. Regular peanut butter WILL go bad in maybe a year or so.
    ..but I think it would be like a BIC pen.
    You will most probably eat it before it goes bad
    ...just like you will most probably loose a Bic pen before it runs out of ink.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,090x in 28,499 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I have a good bit of food and water stored up. If I had to stay inside my place due to circumstances, I could make it long term. Water would be the only issue after a month.

I don't have MREs- I understand they have come a long way since I was eating them in the Army. I never really bothered with the heater. I just ate them cold.
    I always wait until the last minute for water. You can draw it off and fill your containers and then boil it later. The longer it stays in containers the more it picks up tastes and you have to worry about mold.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dried Beans, Pasta, Hot Cereal, Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, all canned goods.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-04-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,430x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I always wait until the last minute for water. You can draw it off and fill your containers and then boil it later. The longer it stays in containers the more it picks up tastes and you have to worry about mold.
    I will replace the water from time to time and I have a lot of purification tablets.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-04-2020)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    On another thread we were discussing the Corona Virus and how it is spreading so quickly.

If so, some people in your locality may panic buy the shelves clean.

I mentioned now would be the time to get some stuff lie MREs and other things.

I would just like to make this thread as a public service to let some know there ARE some foods you can get now that last forever, or may seem so.

Honey...we have all heard of this.

Vinegar

Salt...much more essential than you may realize.

Sugar...any kind. It may become a hard rock, but it will still be good. You can also clean wounds very well with it.

Soy Sauce...keep the lid on it, and I have had one bottle last for months. Put a little in a shallow plate and all those annoying summer gnats will drown themselves in it.

Peanut butter....the Navy even keeps it in their lifeboats. Gives you protein and fats. Responders to disasters also bring it with them to distribute. I mix it with honey and cinnamon and take it on the trail with me. Yummy, and never goes bad.

Steen's Cane syrup...delightfully sweet and not near as bitter as molasses. I personally kept a bottle of it for three years without refrigeration and it was as sweet as the day i opened it. You can also get it in a can that keeps almost forever.

Freeze dried coffee....Nope, not as good as the delightfully brewed stuff, but it IS coffee, so...yeah. All you need is hot water.

Tea....when kept sealed up, it is great. Bigelo's has their in individual sealed packages.

Booze....nuff said...

White rice....you can add it to almost anything to keep your tummy full. I have never had any rice go bad on me.

There is more, but I gotta turn to and get some work done. Please feel free to ad to the list, but all I ask is you do not use internet sources as some are complete BS. Add to the list what you know personally that last a long time in your own experience. Link free zone here, please.

Tell us what you know, not what the internet says. A fellow member's health may depend on it.

If we are all forced to say in our homes as this virus crisis get any worse, we may all be swapping advice and recipes with each other.

Dave
    I had a 5 gallon tin of honey and surival candy back in the late 80s that were from the Vietnam war period . they were still good.
    Peanut butter is a great surival food as is rice . rice is cheap and easy to store .peanut butter is loaded with proteins and taste great

Salt and vinegar are good to flavor food but even better to preserve some veggies and meats such as fish and pork
    Last edited by bulletbob; 03-08-2020 at 07:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread