User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bread bought on August 5th, 2018, and is still good to eat.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Maybe you should have started by testing something safer. Like Twinkies.

BTW. Does your girlfriend have your password so she can tell us if it does not work out?

My wife refrigerates and freezes bread. It does dry it out. Those tortillas start flaking.
    Neither my wife, nor my two girlfriends have my password.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    OK, my friends. On another thread here, I asked to only post about survival type food situations you have personally done or personally know about. That is why I am posting this thread now.
    your smart for the practice you do , including eating some of your supply it helps rotate if if you replace things such as mre and fd foods every 3 to 5 years
    Back on Sunday, August 5th, 2018, I bought some bread as an experiment and am happy to report immediate happy results. The bread is still good, smells like the day I bought it, and have eaten one already and am eating another one now.

What is nicer, you do not need to do a thing.

BACKGROUND: I love the MODERN MARVELS series of videos. I got one on bread, and in it they mentioned tortillas are sometimes made to last several weeks as some of their customers do not have refrigeration in their homes. Tortillas are also a very old form of bread and has been used long before electricity anyway.

Alright, I thought I would give it a try after throwing out some out-dated tortillas sitting on the top of my frig that looked and smelled just fine. No mold either.

DING !!! a light bulb lit up in my fevered survivalist mind and I decided to do an experiment.

A. I got that very same brand of tortillas, but this time, I wrote down the date I bought them....Sunday, August 5th, 2018.

B. Next, I opened the package and ate one that day I bought them. Good and yummy with a rolled up slice of deli turkey, mayo and spinach.

C. Then I put them in another plastic food storage bag with a sliding zipper thingy on it. In the bag I also put their original bag with the date I wrote in red marker.

D. Set the whole bag and its contents on top of the refrigerator up until today, when I opened it and ate two of them.

ZERO signs of mold, the smell was just fine, and they tasted great. These I ate all by themselves to isolate any icky stuff that might make me sick so as to know it might have been them and nothing else.

I have been told it takes about three hours for any bad things you eat to have an effect on you.

Time starts now....0830...Feb 17th, 2020.

Could someone else do the math as to how long they had been sitting on top my frig in the bag ???
    I have to get busy finishing the workbench in shed 1 before the rains come tomorrow.

If i am fine in the next several hours and by tomorrow, I would say the experiment was a success and you can get certain brands of tortillas to use as bread in an emergency with no refrigeration.

Your guinea pig,
    Dave

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 1,606
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,123x in 28,521 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that those were not your last words to us.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (02-25-2020)

+ Reply to Thread