User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Similar skin cover-up for both males and females on TV.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar skin cover-up for both males and females on TV.

Sick of this sexism BS from women. Women on television -- whether news readers, reporters, talk hosts or interviewers -- should wear as modest clothing as men wear -- being suits or jackets, ties and shirts. No exceptions. If women are going to $#@!, moan and prosecute "sexism" and so forth, they should dress like they mean it -- being modestly, as if they don't actually want to be sex objects. They should dress like men, in fact, covering up the same total area of flesh that men typically cover up. Networks can eat it.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah....makes sense...women want to be equal so make them more like men...

Sigh....
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Yeah....makes sense...women want to be equal so make them more like men...

Sigh....
    ???????

Do you think its professional for women to wear clothes that have cleavage halfway down their chest? Yes, being equal means being equal, not different rules for men and women. Or do you think the male news bleaters should come on the air wearing wife beater tee shirt?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay, full disclosure: I was about to make a comment about somebody having "issues"; but I got to thinking about it...and while there is absolutely zero excuse for a woman ever being treated as a "sex object" in terms of being abused or taken advantage of, at the same time you have to wonder just how much thought some women give to the apparent disconnect between the "Me too" rhetoric they favor and what they're putting on (and not putting on) their bodies.

Case in point. Is there any place on Earth more "Me too" friendly than the Oscars? I like Brie Larson and thought she was great in Captain Marvel and certainly deserved the Oscar a couple of years ago for her performance in Room. But when I saw her on the Oscar telecast this year, well...this is how she was dressed.

That photo does't really give you an accurate idea of just how exposed she was, by the way. When she moved around, it looked like a wardrobe malfunction looking for a place to happen.

I think of that line from Splash, where Tom Hanks says, "What about a woman showing up naked in a public place?" and John Candy says, "Well, I'm all for it, of course". I happen to think that laws that make it unlawful for a woman to go topless when and where a man is able to are discriminatory and should be struck down.

How does someone simultaneously object to being thought of a sex object and dress in such a way that one's sexuality is practically, shall we say, in the public domain?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (02-18-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    ???????

Do you think its professional for women to wear clothes that have cleavage halfway down their chest? Yes, being equal means being equal, not different rules for men and women. Or do you think the male news bleaters should come on the air wearing wife beater tee shirt?
    You seem to be under the impression that ratings don't matter...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dupe

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Okay, full disclosure: I was about to make a comment about somebody having "issues"; but I got to thinking about it...and while there is absolutely zero excuse for a woman ever being treated as a "sex object" in terms of being abused or taken advantage of, at the same time you have to wonder just how much thought some women give to the apparent disconnect between the "Me too" rhetoric they favor and what they're putting on (and not putting on) their bodies.

Case in point. Is there any place on Earth more "Me too" friendly than the Oscars? I like Brie Larson and thought she was great in Captain Marvel and certainly deserved the Oscar a couple of years ago for her performance in Room. But when I saw her on the Oscar telecast this year, well...this is how she was dressed.

That photo does't really give you an accurate idea of just how exposed she was, by the way. When she moved around, it looked like a wardrobe malfunction looking for a place to happen.

I think of that line from Splash, where Tom Hanks says, "What about a woman showing up naked in a public place?" and John Candy says, "Well, I'm all for it, of course". I happen to think that laws that make it unlawful for a woman to go topless when and where a man is able to are discriminatory and should be struck down.

How does someone simultaneously object to being thought of a sex object and dress in such a way that one's sexuality is practically, shall we say, in the public domain?
    She's hot.

-Darth Vader

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I pretty much always have cleavage unless I wear a turtleneck, so thank you to all the men who do not sexually harass, objectify or attack me in advance. I apologize on behalf of biology.

At any rate, the attitude of "don't want to be a sex object (or $#@!), don't dress like a sex object (or $#@!)" makes sense on a superficial level. It makes sense, but it's also not really advanced. Modesty in the workplace is great and I totally agree that we shouldn't be having body parts flopping about freely, but humans also want to express themselves through clothing and fashion. It's one way to be unique, and men often do it through their suits, coveralls, boots, and so on. There also has to be practicality to what is worn (taking into account things like weather and safety). It is also one way to stand out to coworkers, bosses and yes, to potential sexual partners.

Feeling or being sexy does not mean dressing in less clothing; or at least, not always (depends on personal preference). It also does not mean you should or will automatically be objectified. I made my sarcastic little comment because telling women to put more clothes on if they don't want to be objectified is sort of...

Also, why give men so little credit for controlling themselves around such $#@!ty little ladies? Bow, fellas! Great strides have been made.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (02-18-2020)

+ Reply to Thread