User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Employees Win Historic Union Election

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,583x in 25,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Kickstarter Employees Win Historic Union Election

Kickstarter Employees Win Historic Union Election. Kickstarter employees voted to form a union with the Office and Professional Employees International Union, which represents more than 100,000 white collar workers. The final vote was 46 for the union, 37 against, a historic win for unionization efforts at tech companies.

Kickstarter workers are now the first white collar workers at a major tech company to successfully unionize in the United States, sending a message to other tech workers.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...union-election

0AD3DF2B-8A28-4BA3-939E-E04CF12BB385.jpg
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (02-19-2020),Docthehun (02-19-2020),exotix (02-19-2020),The Sage of Main Street (02-19-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idiots

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (02-19-2020),HawkTheSlayer (02-19-2020),MisterVeritis (02-19-2020)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Kickstarter Employees Win Historic Union Election. Kickstarter employees voted to form a union with the Office and Professional Employees International Union, which represents more than 100,000 white collar workers. The final vote was 46 for the union, 37 against, a historic win for unionization efforts at tech companies.

Kickstarter workers are now the first white collar workers at a major tech company to successfully unionize in the United States, sending a message to other tech workers.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...union-election

Attachment 28085
    The Clerical's where I worked were OPIEU; they had a great contract. They actually had a say in the terms and conditions of their employment.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (02-19-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    The Clerical's where I worked were OPIEU; they had a great contract. They actually had a say in the terms and conditions of their employment.
    I have been in several unions because of closed shop laws. I can tell the world the rank and file have no say in the terms and conditions of their employment. EVERYTHING is controlled by the Union "leadership". The rank and file is simply told what to vote for and when. When it comes to destructive forces in employment only Obama ranked higher than the unions.

And by the way, its not just the inflated wages that unions bring its also onerous work rules that rob any endeavor of any efficiency it may have.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I have been in several unions because of closed shop laws. I can tell the world the rank and file have no say in the terms and conditions of their employment. EVERYTHING is controlled by the Union "leadership". The rank and file is simply told what to vote for and when. When it comes to destructive forces in employment only Obama ranked higher than the unions.

And by the way, its not just the inflated wages that unions bring its also onerous work rules that rob any endeavor of any efficiency it may have.
    Closed shop laws? Wow you must have worked back in the 1930's & 40's since closed shops have been illegal since 1948. I don't know what union you were in, probably a blue collar union? I was in a white collar union and in my union, the membership had a say in everything that went into a contract and no one came around and told us "you must vote this way". We decided what was important to us and not the leadership; they were merely our spokespersons.

Employers are their own worst enemies; if they treated their employees fairly there would be no need for a union, unfortunately that is not the case and so we still to this day need labor unions.

Btw, these onerous work rules and inflated wages you opine about; keep in mind it takes two to tango; the company agrees to them otherwise they don't go into the contract. So the companies only have themselves to blame if they complain about how bad things are with the unions in their workplaces since they agreed to them.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,472x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those people are fools... lazy, greedy, gutless fools.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who cannot negotiate their own terms of employment are likely in the wrong field to start with.

Welcome to the world of loss of incentive to innovate, lack of being acknowledged as an individual for good or bad, and the ability to pay a third party for a majority of things already covered by labor laws.

Hey, if it makes them happy, I'm just glad it's not me.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed shop laws? Wow you must have worked back in the 1930's & 40's since closed shops have been illegal since 1948. I don't know what union you were in, probably a blue collar union? I was in a white collar union and in my union, the membership had a say in everything that went into a contract and no one came around and told us "you must vote this way". We decided what was important to us and not the leadership; they were merely our spokespersons.

Employers are their own worst enemies; if they treated their employees fairly there would be no need for a union, unfortunately that is not the case and so we still to this day need labor unions.

Btw, these onerous work rules and inflated wages you opine about; keep in mind it takes two to tango; the company agrees to them otherwise they don't go into the contract. So the companies only have themselves to blame if they complain about how bad things are with the unions in their workplaces since they agreed to them.
    I worked for the Western Maryland Railway in the 70's and had to belong to the union in order to have a job. In the 1980's I was in the Teamsters and it was the same situation.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If thats what they want, good for them, they have to live with the results
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (02-19-2020)

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,765x in 13,676 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utter nonsense, union labor is highly inefficient, slow, and the quality of the work is absolutely horrendous. There are a few decent union craftsman out there, but they are certainly the exception.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

+ Reply to Thread