Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post

I suppose that makes it even more beautiful. The concept that time is relative is so abstract that people end up ignoring it. Two people could be sitting together and be presented with two other frames of reference which could then be measured at a different rate of time. That means that one persons clock could tick faster then the person next to them.

For me that concept is the most intriguing and difficult for me to comprehend given I’m only human and perceive of my time in real time. But I love the theory and it’s implications.
    Awesome reply. Even our own view of time changes throughout our life. I know for me when I was a child time was slower, a season seemed an eternity. Now seasons pass like lightning. Reality didn't change, it was only my perception that changed. Very interesting indeed.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My clock may be ticking faster than yours. As a human with an expiration date that could be construed as scary vs. beautiful.

Perhaps you mean aging is beautiful. A different discussion.
    Perhaps aging and time are not two different things. I have come to think that time is impermanence itself.

Sure the thought of death is scary. But at the same time life is beautiful. The fact that we age, is beautiful too. It might not feel too good. But there is something beautiful, it makes this moment all the more precious, because any one of them could be our last. Being alive and having experiences, and being able to see the beauty of the world is wonderful.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (02-21-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Awesome reply. Even our own view of time changes throughout our life. I know for me when I was a child time was slower, a season seemed an eternity. Now seasons pass like lightning. Reality didn't change, it was only my perception that changed. Very interesting indeed.
    A great graphic novel that was turned into a movie was called ‘Watchmen’. Within it was a story of one of the hero’s fathers being a watchmaker and giving it up once Einstein proved time was relative. It makes sense. What good is a watch if time is relative. And it truly is. Your example of time passing slowly as a child and quickly as an adult isn’t a matter of simple perception. It’s reality. “Time passes quickly when you’re having fun”. That isn’t a construct of the human brain. That is a construct of time. A hard concept to come to grips with when we just want to defer to the math. After all there is 24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-21-2020),Orion Rules (02-22-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way I’ve really enjoyed your latest posts. Not particularly motivated by politics rather a shared curiosity into the known and unknown. They’ve been delightful and a welcomed change from the excrement I’ve been involved with as of late.
    Thank you, I have grown weary of politics lately from both sides. It's hard not get drawn into them though. It's just that we all have our own ideas of what our ideal world should be, and not all of us can agree on what that is. We impose our world view on every one around us thinking that things should be the way we imagine them. It is pretty clear that has never worked and never will. But for hundreds of years that hasn't stopped humanity from trying, Lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps aging and time are not two different things. I have come to think that time is impermanence itself.
    They are absolutely two different things. If time is relative and if my clock is ticking faster than yours then it is completely reasonable that I am indeed aging differently than you are. Time is relative.

Sure the thought of death is scary. But at the same time life is beautiful. The fact that we age, is beautiful too. It might not feel too good. But there is something beautiful, it makes this moment all the more precious, because any one of them could be our last. Being alive and having experiences, and being able to see the beauty of the world is wonderful.
    I didn’t say the thought of death was scary. I was recently banned for “wishing the death” of members here when all I was doing was opining on their death given their age. I’ve never wished for the death of any human. Not even the deaths I caused when I was serving our country.

With that being said I envy your outlook on life. Not all of us experience the enjoyment of life you experience. Personally I look at life through the lens of responsibility. I’ll stop short here given I think there are individuals on this board that would enjoy the opportunity to troll and insult me.
    For some humans the world is a harsh place. And perhaps even sunny days literally look cloudy to those who are struggling with emotional distress or mental disease.
    Last edited by Private Pickle; 02-21-2020 at 02:27 AM.

-Darth Vader

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-21-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to have a different perspective. I defer to Dylan Thomas:

-Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ironically I attribute this mentality to my recent bans here. I’ll be damned if I don’t respond to attacks by trolls and insults. If that results in a ban so be it. But I will not go gentle into that good night. Not here. Not anywhere.

-Darth Vader

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great graphic novel that was turned into a movie was called ‘Watchmen’. Within it was a story of one of the hero’s fathers being a watchmaker and giving it up once Einstein proved time was relative. It makes sense. What good is a watch if time is relative. And it truly is. Your example of time passing slowly as a child and quickly as an adult isn’t a matter of simple perception. It’s reality. “Time passes quickly when you’re having fun”. That isn’t a construct of the human brain. That is a construct of time. A hard concept to come to grips with when we just want to defer to the math. After all there is 24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year.
    That's a great story about the father giving up watch making. For years I was uncomfortable with the word time, I realized that there was no such a thing. But for the sake of everyone being on the same page it is quite useful, and keeping history and future events.

In reality time doesn't exist, but for the sake of conversation it is useful.

For me I feel that when we are a child we are very present. I can remember paying attention to the feeling of my feet touching the ground as I walked. I would love the sound my little sandals made. I would be immersed in my senses and surroundings, in a vivid way. As we grow up, we lose some of that. We start to see the world through the filter of our mind, rather than what is around us. Not everyone of course but many of us.

We see a tree blowing in the wind, and that view is tinted with all of our ideas of what a tree is, rather than just seeing it and experiencing it as it is without the filter of the mind. Even if we don't realize that filter is there, it is. It is our conditioned understanding, and we see the whole world through that filter. I believe it drastically changes the perception of time.

Like you said time passes quickly when you are having fun. When you are waiting for something and you are bored, time passes so slow. Why is that? Could it be because we are faced with actual reality, actual time. But we are constantly running keeping our mind occupied with one thing to the next to escape the reality of time? When we come face to face with time, we want to escape it with something to capture the mind. We will do anything, we sit in front of the tv, talk in political forums, make another cup of coffee (my favorite personally).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (02-22-2020),Private Pickle (02-21-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I have grown weary of politics lately from both sides. It's hard not get drawn into them though. It's just that we all have our own ideas of what our ideal world should be, and not all of us can agree on what that is. We impose our world view on every one around us thinking that things should be the way we imagine them. It is pretty clear that has never worked and never will. But for hundreds of years that hasn't stopped humanity from trying, Lol.
    You’re in the wrong place. This place has turned into an environment of vitriol and insults. If you express an opinion prepare yourself for an assault. And unless you’re willing to defend yourself in line either excuse yourself from this Forum because it isn’t the place for you.

Personally I, after 7 years here have decided I’m completely willing to accept a ban from this site for defending myself. Mind you it’s not for a lack of letting the mods here know I’m being trolled or insulted. Nope. I’ve more than done that. At this point it’s a fist fight with those that get away with way more than they should be allowed. All good. I’ve come to accept that.

So I’ll just keep being me. Which ironically I think produces more activity on this site than just about any other poster here am more than willing to accept a permanent ban for expressing my opinions. If that happens to be insulting to the hacks and gets me banned I’ll most likely giggle and move on to the next forum. Plenty to choose from.

Sorry for the rant in your thread.

-Darth Vader

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (02-21-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are absolutely two different things. If time is relative and if my clock is ticking faster than yours then it is completely reasonable that I am indeed aging differently than you are. Time is relative.

I didn’t say the thought of death was scary. I was recently banned for “wishing the death” of members here when all I was doing was opining on their death given their age. I’ve never wished for the death of any human. Not even the deaths I caused when I was serving our country.

With that being said I envy your outlook on life. Not all of us experience the enjoyment of life you experience. Personally I look at life through the lens of responsibility. I’ll stop short here given I think there are individuals on this board that would enjoy the opportunity to troll and insult me.
    For some humans the world is a harsh place. And perhaps even sunny days literally look cloudy to those who are struggling with emotional distress or mental disease.
    Honestly it doesn't matter what you say, you will be trolled and insulted for it just the same. Lol. Might as well say what ever you feel like.

I like hashing out our different ideas and views. For sure we wont all see it the same, for as many people who are alive there are that many different worlds. We all have our own conditioned world that we see through our eyes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great story about the father giving up watch making. For years I was uncomfortable with the word time, I realized that there was no such a thing. But for the sake of everyone being on the same page it is quite useful, and keeping history and future events.

In reality time doesn't exist, but for the sake of conversation it is useful.

For me I feel that when we are a child we are very present. I can remember paying attention to the feeling of my feet touching the ground as I walked. I would love the sound my little sandals made. I would be immersed in my senses and surroundings, in a vivid way. As we grow up, we lose some of that. We start to see the world through the filter of our mind, rather than what is around us. Not everyone of course but many of us.

We see a tree blowing in the wind, and that view is tinted with all of our ideas of what a tree is, rather than just seeing it and experiencing it as it is without the filter of the mind. Even if we don't realize that filter is there, it is. It is our conditioned understanding, and we see the whole world through that filter. I believe it drastically changes the perception of time.

Like you said time passes quickly when you are having fun. When you are waiting for something and you are bored, time passes so slow. Why is that? Could it be because we are faced with actual reality, actual time. But we are constantly running keeping our mind occupied with one thing to the next to escape the reality of time? When we come face to face with time, we want to escape it with something to capture the mind. We will do anything, we sit in front of the tv, talk in political forums, make another cup of coffee (my favorite personally).
    You get these stories of people who drink and smoke their whole lives and live to be 100. Perhaps time moved slower for them than the rest of us.

Unfortunately that isn’t what Einstein has in mind with regards to his theory. But the fact that he had all but proven time is relative opens up the opportunity for our discussions.

-Darth Vader

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread