Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,153x in 28,538 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    I am over the mountain from you, and have clay as out base for growing. Alkalinizing the soil to 7.00 is top of the list each spring, along with natural nitrogen. I completely agree regarding synthetic fertilizers.
    What is used as fertilizers in 'factory farms' is for fast production and size. Home gardens or local producers, usually use fertilizers for flavor and size, and plant specific.

I've looked into hydroponics, and while interesting, I don't believe that's the better route for me.
    I lived in KY for a few years with that red clay and actually had really good luck with my gardens. I just remember walking around my house before they put the sod down and having shoes that weighed about 30 lbs each by the time I got down with the tour. It was like play-dough when it was wet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (02-27-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,475x in 20,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    I lived in KY for a few years with that red clay and actually had really good luck with my gardens. I just remember walking around my house before they put the sod down and having shoes that weighed about 30 lbs each by the time I got down with the tour. It was like play-dough when it was wet.
    just 15 miles north for the KY border, as the crow flies.
    You can take the clay out of the ground and use it for cheap pottery without using a kiln......... just leave it outside in the sun for a day.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    just 15 miles north for the KY border, as the crow flies.
    You can take the clay out of the ground and use it for cheap pottery without using a kiln......... just leave it outside in the sun for a day.
    My yard cracks and is hard as brick when we don't get rain. And as you said, when it does rain (such as the monsoons of late) it is might slick.

I live on a hill that runs down about 20 degrees over 200 feet... into a lake. I don't mow that hill if it has rained for a few days, the tractor is a little to expensive to launch over water at the bottom.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Padme's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 565x in 411 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The above article is of course written within the Darwinist evolutionary mold and thus explanations are used as simply a matter of fact. One of those words is adapted like in:
    The ancient progenitor strains of paratyphi C had not yet adapted specifically to humans : The pathogens infected a number of animals and lacked genes that cause the typhoidlike fever.
    It sounds as if it is quite an easy thing, but as Michael Behe has demonstrated in his books, then creating new machinery has never been observed and also that it involves a complex series of steps, which random selection and survival of the fittest can not account for. Mutations happen but it amounts to a loss of function not a building of a new function or building of new DNA.

An alternative explanation is perhaps that it was within the natural variability of the pathogens and thus already existing."

https://www.sott.net/article/429827-...t-DNA-suggests

"Master Skywalker said you should teach me about politics." - Padme Amidala

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,534x in 55,050 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Padme View Post
    "The above article is of course written within the Darwinist evolutionary mold and thus explanations are used as simply a matter of fact. One of those words is adapted like in:
    The ancient progenitor strains of paratyphi C had not yet adapted specifically to humans : The pathogens infected a number of animals and lacked genes that cause the typhoidlike fever.
    It sounds as if it is quite an easy thing, but as Michael Behe has demonstrated in his books, then creating new machinery has never been observed and also that it involves a complex series of steps, which random selection and survival of the fittest can not account for. Mutations happen but it amounts to a loss of function not a building of a new function or building of new DNA.

An alternative explanation is perhaps that it was within the natural variability of the pathogens and thus already existing."

https://www.sott.net/article/429827-...t-DNA-suggests

That the pathogen already existed is the "Dawsinist" explanation in the article, just not first in pigs and then in humans.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread