User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Are the Costs of These Draconian Social and Economic Restrictions?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,593x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Thanks! It's good to be back!

This whole virus thing has made me see that controlling the masses is still very much a thing. Business closures are tanking the economy, and so many are willingly contributing to the problem. Out of fear. I'm fine with our leaders offering information about staying healthy and taking steps to keep places clean - but forcing businesses to close their doors? Forcing churches to cancel services? Closing schools for the rest of the year? Armed guards at the front door of someone who doesn't want to self-quarantine?

I think we're crossing a line, and what bothers me the most is seeing how complacent the citizens are. My niece owns a yoga studio - and it's quite spacious -- but instead of moving mats farther apart and continuing classes, she felt pressured into closing down. That cuts her income to zero, but I'm sure her landlord will want his rent on time.

I fear this could get much worse before it gets better just because of the fearmongering.
    It seems that is the case.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-22-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I have total confidence that as the sample size becomes larger, the mortality rate for COVID will converge (approximately) with the mortality rate for flu.

An article I recently read in The Financial Times reinforces my view that the primary determinant of how an individual responds to COVID is the strength of their immune system. Here is a link that allows you to read the article without the paywall: https://giftarticle.ft.com/giftartic...b-1e6becf15289

Basic gist of the article: A woman who contracted COVID recovered quickly after a strong immune response to the virus. Shocking... immune systems actually serve a purpose. Who would have known?
    And, experts are telling us that many are walking around not even knowing they have the virus. The stats are showing us that more than 92K have completely recovered. Those with compromised immune systems are always at risk and now is no different. You could be correct in that the virus may eventually have about the same fatality rate as the flu. That would make sense.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with being "cleaner", however we're defining that. I think it has to do with building up a strong immune system. When it comes to fighting off disease, nothing is more important than that.
    Yes, a strong immune system is tantamount. When I say "clean," (not a good term, I agree), I mean taking commonsense precautions, including not coughing in someone's face and washing hands, etc., basically, just healthy habits.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (03-23-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Mortality rates rise after periods of unemployment and income loss."
    -W. Kip Viscusi, Economics Department Vanderbilt

Yup, they sure do. That's just common sense. Economic insecurity is bad for people's health.

So when are the powers that be going to address the real costs of this response? Hopefully they do so BEFORE the economy is harmed irreparably.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-23-2020)

+ Reply to Thread