Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,182x in 2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    A very beautiful little cat has been hanging around where my wife works for some time, and a few of the employees have made sure she was fed. She was just feral enough to avoid being trapped...until she had kittens, about five weeks ago.

The janitor at this facility told one of the clerks that he was looking for a stick to kill something he'd found in the parking garage - which turned out to be one of the kittens, which had somehow gotten separated from the litter and its mother. The clerk swooped in, of course, and gave the kitten to a friend who took it to her vet and received instructions on keeping it fed and healthy. (I raised a kitten this way, myself, from four weeks, so I know it's possible.)

My wife, who has known this janitor for twenty years and always thought he was a good guy, thought he might have been kidding about beating a small kitten to death, but the clerk told her that he routinely knocked bird's nests down in the parking garage and stomped or beat the baby birds to death, so it seems he had every intention of doing the same to a kitten. (In the thirty+ years I've known my wife, I've probably only seen her cry fewer than a half a dozen times, but the thought of someone, anyone, but especially someone she'd always liked doing that brought tears.)

Shortly after that, the other five kittens were discovered, living in the bottom of a plastic tub in a fenced area, and Saturday morning they were used as "bait" to lure Felicia into a trap. The wife borrowed a large dog crate/cage from a friend, and mama and kittens are now living in relative comfort in my son's old room.

Attachment 28427

Attachment 28428

Felicia will be spayed and then, depending on how well she responds to being inside and around people, she will either find a home or be released into a small colony in a safe location. The kittens are still young enough to be socialized, and hopefully they will be able to live long lives as somebody's companion.

One of the five, as soon as we put them in the crate, immediately began climbing the wire and trying to squeeze his way out, so he got his name very quickly - Houdini.
    I love those kitties
    " Into this house we're born. Into this world we're thrown"...Jim Morrison

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,898x in 6,297 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The mama cat - whose name is actually Annie, as Felicia turned up at the wife's work on Tuesday...the rescuers got the two cats confused - loves her food, so while she was eating yesterday and somewhat distracted, we took the opportunity to hold some of the kittens. It's important not to let them get too old without socializing them and letting them know that humans are (usually) a good thing. They were very compliant and displayed no obvious signs of fear or hostility. The wife also put a small bowl of kitten food in the crate, and one of them quickly showed that he had learned from mom's example and had figured out how to eat like a big cat; the others are going to take some more time on that skill. Chances are that within a week they'll all be chowing down.
    Arizona...the only state in the country where rain is considered a state of emergency.

"I live by two words: tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go, and gratitude keeps me from being angry on the way." - Henry Winkler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (Today)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Nemo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 119x in 81 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great dog Gytrash.

Picture 001.jpg

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nemo For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (Today),Peter1469 (03-27-2020),Standing Wolf (03-28-2020)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,898x in 6,297 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    My great dog Gytrash.

Attachment 28492
    Are you sure that's not a bear?
    Arizona...the only state in the country where rain is considered a state of emergency.

"I live by two words: tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go, and gratitude keeps me from being angry on the way." - Henry Winkler

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Nemo's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 119x in 81 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only complaint I have against my dog is that he is more virtuous than I am. But then that's not his fault, and I am the only one who can do anything about it.

+ Reply to Thread