Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Life Goes On

A very beautiful little cat has been hanging around where my wife works for some time, and a few of the employees have made sure she was fed. She was just feral enough to avoid being trapped...until she had kittens, about five weeks ago.

The janitor at this facility told one of the clerks that he was looking for a stick to kill something he'd found in the parking garage - which turned out to be one of the kittens, which had somehow gotten separated from the litter and its mother. The clerk swooped in, of course, and gave the kitten to a friend who took it to her vet and received instructions on keeping it fed and healthy. (I raised a kitten this way, myself, from four weeks, so I know it's possible.)

My wife, who has known this janitor for twenty years and always thought he was a good guy, thought he might have been kidding about beating a small kitten to death, but the clerk told her that he routinely knocked bird's nests down in the parking garage and stomped or beat the baby birds to death, so it seems he had every intention of doing the same to a kitten. (In the thirty+ years I've known my wife, I've probably only seen her cry fewer than a half a dozen times, but the thought of someone, anyone, but especially someone she'd always liked doing that brought tears.)

Shortly after that, the other five kittens were discovered, living in the bottom of a plastic tub in a fenced area, and Saturday morning they were used as "bait" to lure Felicia into a trap. The wife borrowed a large dog crate/cage from a friend, and mama and kittens are now living in relative comfort in my son's old room.

Felicia.jpg

Kittens.jpg

Felicia will be spayed and then, depending on how well she responds to being inside and around people, she will either find a home or be released into a small colony in a safe location. The kittens are still young enough to be socialized, and hopefully they will be able to live long lives as somebody's companion.

One of the five, as soon as we put them in the crate, immediately began climbing the wire and trying to squeeze his way out, so he got his name very quickly - Houdini.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (03-23-2020),Captdon (03-28-2020),carolina73 (03-23-2020),Common (03-23-2020),Common Sense (03-23-2020),Cotton1 (03-23-2020),countryboy (03-23-2020),Dr. Who (03-23-2020),Ethereal (03-23-2020),FindersKeepers (03-24-2020),gamewell45 (03-23-2020),Just AnotherPerson (03-23-2020),Mini Me (03-23-2020),MisterVeritis (03-23-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (03-23-2020),The Xl (03-23-2020)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently from what I've been reading the adoption of pets is going in reverse as people are turning in their pets and the rescue facilities are being over-run with the excess.
    You may have just adopted a whole family of kitty cats.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    A very beautiful little cat has been hanging around where my wife works for some time, and a few of the employees have made sure she was fed. She was just feral enough to avoid being trapped...until she had kittens, about five weeks ago.

The janitor at this facility told one of the clerks that he was looking for a stick to kill something he'd found in the parking garage - which turned out to be one of the kittens, which had somehow gotten separated from the litter and its mother. The clerk swooped in, of course, and gave the kitten to a friend who took it to her vet and received instructions on keeping it fed and healthy. (I raised a kitten this way, myself, from four weeks, so I know it's possible.)

My wife, who has known this janitor for twenty years and always thought he was a good guy, thought he might have been kidding about beating a small kitten to death, but the clerk told her that he routinely knocked bird's nests down in the parking garage and stomped or beat the baby birds to death, so it seems he had every intention of doing the same to a kitten. (In the thirty+ years I've known my wife, I've probably only seen her cry fewer than a half a dozen times, but the thought of someone, anyone, but especially someone she'd always liked doing that brought tears.)

Shortly after that, the other five kittens were discovered, living in the bottom of a plastic tub in a fenced area, and Saturday morning they were used as "bait" to lure Felicia into a trap. The wife borrowed a large dog crate/cage from a friend, and mama and kittens are now living in relative comfort in my son's old room.

Attachment 28427

Attachment 28428

Felicia will be spayed and then, depending on how well she responds to being inside and around people, she will either find a home or be released into a small colony in a safe location. The kittens are still young enough to be socialized, and hopefully they will be able to live long lives as somebody's companion.

One of the five, as soon as we put them in the crate, immediately began climbing the wire and trying to squeeze his way out, so he got his name very quickly - Houdini.
    They're all very pretty. Thank goodness your wife was able to rescue them.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (03-23-2020),Standing Wolf (03-24-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Attachment 28427

Attachment 28428

Thats awesome. The janitor should face the guillotine.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-23-2020)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BenjaminO...

... dat looks like my buddy's...

... Nina, a Pug/Chihuahua mix.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,487x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 28427

Attachment 28428

That guy who likes to kill animals sounds like a potential mass murder. Keep an eye on that one.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-23-2020),Dr. Who (03-23-2020),Just AnotherPerson (03-23-2020),The Xl (03-23-2020)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Thats awesome. The janitor should face the guillotine.
    The janitor should be put in a drum and tossed in the ocean!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-24-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an amazing story! I'm sorry the janitor doesn't feel those little lives are worth anything -- living in the country, I too have met farmers who have little to no respect for animal lives. I guess it comes from the way they were raised.

So proud of you and your wife for taking the time and the steps to rescue these little fur balls.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-24-2020),Dr. Who (03-24-2020),Standing Wolf (03-24-2020)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    What an amazing story! I'm sorry the janitor doesn't feel those little lives are worth anything -- living in the country, I too have met farmers who have little to no respect for animal lives. I guess it comes from the way they were raised. ....
    I'm sure that most folks who grow up on a farm are somewhat inured to the death of animals, but without any pleasure or sadism involved. When I was quite young, I used to occasionally spend a week or so with my paternal grandparents on their farm. I remember that once my Grandpa John told me how he disposed of unwanted litters of barn cats. I won't repeat it here, but it was pretty horrific. I can still picture the grin on his face as he told me about it, though, and I like to think it was just something he'd been taught and didn't give much thought to, rather than something he enjoyed doing.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-24-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In south jersey there was a feed plant, it processed dry feed for various farm animals and other animals for like pet stores.

The mill was secluded behind a swamp...it was a big property...I dont know how true this is but there is truth to it....the place being much grain and other ingredients would be over un with rats...except its supposed to be a known fact that the owner takes any and ALL stray cats...this is where the truth might be stretched, they said they estimate theres 10,000 cats living on that property...they like the rats eat the grain and the rats.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (03-25-2020)

+ Reply to Thread