Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,532x in 6,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Multiply the backlash to Vietnam times 1000. I'm a little older than this generation in question, but I understand them pretty well, they're not going to comply with this $#@!, there is zero chance. Too many younger people already know the United States tendency to fight wars that are nonsense. We're the big dog in the yard, even Russia and China don't compare with us militarily, and we're geographically impossible to invade. There are no wars that can be fought that involve the defense of this country, only wars the benefit politicians and special interests. And the kids all know it.
    Sure they will. These "kids" are no different from any others when it comes to being drafted or going to prison.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our freedom and our society and our morals.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,164
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,500x in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usaf81 View Post
    The services only want motivated volunteers. They dont want draftee's even the ones that dont run to Canada. This is just feel good politics.
    I'm as leery of a "professional" military as I am the "Deep State". I liked the draft and the fact that the military was full of people who hated the military but did their job.

I can remember sitting on a small island in the Aleutians drinking and discussing the possibility of a military coup in the U.S. My argument was that the draftees would not support a coup. I still think that's true.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,956x in 7,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I'm as leery of a "professional" military as I am the "Deep State". I liked the draft and the fact that the military was full of people who hated the military but did their job.

I can remember sitting on a small island in the Aleutians drinking and discussing the possibility of a military coup in the U.S. My argument was that the draftees would not support a coup. I still think that's true.
    I will always remember Elbridge Gerry's statement regarding a standing army. "A standing army is like a standing member, while it insures domestic tranquility it offers a temptation for foreign adventure"
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 14,030x in 8,677 Posts
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    In terms of a willingness to comply with a compulsory call to service - especially military service - don't you believe that much would depend on why the call was made? On what threat or challenge was being addressed by that call?
    I don't seem to recall during my years in the Army, and I suspect your time in the Navy was similar, the chain of command coming to me and asking whether we should deploy to meet a threat, or if we should just blow it off because, you know... we've got more important personal $#@! to do.

No, I don't think you decide whether to answer the call based on whether you personally think the fight is worth your time or poses a personal threat to you and is "important" enough for you to give up hanging out with Bobbie Jo Rottencrotch while letting others do the heavy lifting for you.

Our last draft ended in 1973. The fact that we haven't had one since then, even though we have been in continuous conflict for the last couple of decades should tell you that conscription is not something taken lightly or implemented on a whim. That doesn't mean we can afford to do away with it just because we have a bunch of spoiled me, me, me types out there who think their convenience is more important than the needs of the nation. We elect civilian leadership to weigh the threats to this nation and our allies and to decide what actions should be taken to address them. When those decisions are made, the citizenry needs to do its part. If as a whole, the citizenry decides the action is not justified, there are remedies for that. It is not however, up to the individual to decide "I don't like this war, so I am not going to to go". I suppose it actually is, but there should be consequences. I think anyone who refuses to comply and answer the call of his country should be stripped of everything society provides for him. If you don't want to earn your way, you should be on your own to fend for yourself.

With freedom comes responsibility.
    "All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-28-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Multiply the backlash to Vietnam times 1000. I'm a little older than this generation in question, but I understand them pretty well, they're not going to comply with this $#@!, there is zero chance. Too many younger people already know the United States tendency to fight wars that are nonsense. We're the big dog in the yard, even Russia and China don't compare with us militarily, and we're geographically impossible to invade. There are no wars that can be fought that involve the defense of this country, only wars the benefit politicians and special interests. And the kids all know it.
    Wow, that sounds like it was written by a 14 year old who doesn't know $#@! about the world.
    "All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Defending your country is not throwing your life away. If a war is unnecessary, elect better leaders.
    Spot on.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,394
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,093x in 16,875 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Sort of like preparing (or not) for a pandemic.
    How does one prepare for a pandemic?

I see no way to do so.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-28-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 84,348x in 56,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    2260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    How does one prepare for a pandemic?

I see no way to do so.
    NYC, as an example, could have stockpiled medical equipment that would be needed in a pandemic.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

+ Reply to Thread