User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Flip Side of eliminating the draft. Mandatory Service?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I took wood shop. I preferred my imagination.
    I still have a small table / books case that I made in high school wood shop. I put my desk top and scanner on it.

0329200749a.jpg
    Last edited by Peter1469; 03-29-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,482x in 15,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    As someone mentioned in so many words earlier in the thread, it's easy to talk about things like "minimal impact" when the impact isn't on you or yours.

And I'm not trying to be snarky here, old friend, but it strikes me as somewhat odd that you can equate the State forcing a merchant to do business with someone they don't want to with slavery, yet see nothing wrong with that same State compelling a citizen to put their entire life on hold and serve the government's interests involuntarily, with prison the price for non-compliance.

I really don't see a connection between the two. Compulsory service is something to be used in a state of emergency for a limited duration in order to protect the republic. It is an extreme measure, one we haven't used since 1973 and which I do not see being used in the near future. I think in times of crisis, citizens have an obligation to come to the aid of the nation in whatever way they can.

Forcing citizens to labor on behalf of another against his will is something totally different.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,182
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I really don't see a connection between the two. Compulsory service is something to be used in a state of emergency for a limited duration in order to protect the republic. It is an extreme measure, one we haven't used since 1973 and which I do not see being used in the near future. I think in times of crisis, citizens have an obligation to come to the aid of the nation in whatever way they can.

Forcing citizens to labor on behalf of another against his will is something totally different.
    I understand what you're saying, and the way you describe compulsory service in your first paragraph makes it sound very cut-and-dried and non-ambiguous. Here's the thing: to one leader or group of leaders, "state of emergency", "limited duration", "protecting the republic", among other words and phrases might have a very different meaning than for others.

Has the American military, in your lifetime, gone off adventuring at the direction of the suits in D.C. for causes or in pursuit of goals that you either can't fathom or with which you disagree? In non-military terms, how would you feel if your 18-year-old son or daughter were ordered to, say, help confront the homeless crisis by going out and distributing food and blankets to the inner city homeless? (Would a national leader ever direct such a thing, you ask. Crazier things than that have come out of Washington.)
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread