User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Economic Decline or War

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    War between the major powers has become obsolete, as we would be in danger of becoming should we ever engage in another major war.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Rambo is still very much alive and kicking.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
    It wasn’t a direct challenge, it was other countries trying to expand their colonial ambitions which were seen as a threat.
    Nationalism as opposed to patriotism is very easy to understand. Patriotism is a love of one’s own country and nationalism sees itself as better than, not different from, others. Sovereignty would be patriotic, invading others would be nationalistic.
    Britain's chief colonial rival was the French Empire. Britain went to war allied with France. Germany was seeking a dominant position on the continent. The colonies were peripheral and when war came they were left largely to their own devices.
    Patriotism is a sentiment. Nationalism is an ideology predicated on the political sovereignty of a people. There is no getting around that. I do think I understand why the English, for example, favor this ahistorical conception of nationalism and that's because the national aspirations of the English were never frustrated or at least not for a very long time.
    Last edited by Mister D; 03-30-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-30-2020)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Rambo is still very much alive and kicking.
    True, although I think we'd end up having to check the heart-lung monitor just to make sure.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Britain's chief colonial rival was the French Empire. Britain went to war allied with France. Germany was seeking a dominant position on the continent. The colonies were peripheral and when war came they were left largely to their own devices.
    Patriotism is a sentiment. Nationalism is an ideology predicated on the political sovereignty of a people. There is no getting around that. I do think I understand why the English, for example, favor this ahistorical conception of nationalism and that's because the national aspirations of the English were never frustrated or at least not for a very long time.
    It destroyed both the Turkish Ottoman Empire and the Austrian Hapsburg Empire, plus Russia’s defeat removed the Russians from the world economic stage and Germany.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It destroyed both the Turkish Ottoman Empire and the Austrian Hapsburg Empire, plus Russia’s defeat removed the Russians from the world economic stage and Germany.
    All true.

Imperial Russia and Japan were the two most rapidly growing economies in 1914.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    All true.

Imperial Russia and Japan were the two most rapidly growing economies in 1914.
    So it wasn’t just about France and Germany, it brought down empires and reshaped the world order, as did WW2 as did the previous Napoleonic wars and all the others before it, because the winners of large conflicts reshape geography and economics.

‘Patriotism is a sentiment. Nationalism is an ideology predicated on the political sovereignty of a people.’ Trying to get my head around that. The differences between patriotism and nationalism are not an English invention, they’re part of political definitions. For instance, it helps us understand why Nuremberg happened and it wasn’t because the Germans were patriots.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So it wasn’t just about France and Germany, it brought down empires and reshaped the world order, as did WW2 as did the previous Napoleonic wars and all the others before it, because the winners of large conflicts reshape geography and economics.

‘Patriotism is a sentiment. Nationalism is an ideology predicated on the political sovereignty of a people.’ Trying to get my head around that. The differences between patriotism and nationalism are not an English invention, they’re part of political definitions. For instance, it helps us understand why Nuremberg happened and it wasn’t because the Germans were patriots.
    No one said it was just about France and Germany. No one said it was just about anything. I'm not sure what your point is here or at least how it relates to anything I've said.

No one said either were English inventions but that nationalism is predicated on the political sovereignty of a people isn't controversial. You mentioned Austria-Hungary. That's one of the more patently obvious illustrations of 1) the desire for political sovereignty at the heart of nationalism and 2) the internal (not external) thrust of nationalism.
    Last edited by Mister D; 03-31-2020 at 06:07 PM.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread