Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,486x in 15,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a terrible feature. The forum has rules of conduct posted. The same rules should apply in every thread.

The idea that a thread starter can ban someone from participating in a discussion at will is counterproductive. I would like to see it done away with.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (04-13-2020),William (04-13-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,549x in 55,058 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I think it is a terrible feature. The forum has rules of conduct posted. The same rules should apply in every thread.

The idea that a thread starter can ban someone from participating in a discussion at will is counterproductive. I would like to see it done away with.
    The forum has rules of conduct posted. The same rules should apply in every thread.
    That was the original meaning.

The idea that a thread starter can ban someone from participating in a discussion at will is counterproductive.
    That's what it's become.

It can be abused and the tPF designation removed. Criteria unknown.

I would like to see it done away with.
    Same here. So I stopped using it.

At least rewrite the rule and do away with "violations of any of the above listed forum rules, and only for those reasons." But without reference to rules, as originally written, there's no point.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For an OP author to threadban another member, they should have to prove that a forum rule was violated. We have all seen recent instances of members being threadbanned for simply disagreeing with the OP author, and we have seen members threadbanned, ostensibly for "off topic posting", for simply mentioning a related but technically off-topic matter in passing. As it stands right now, if you start a tPF thread and you want someone shut out of it, you can do that pretty much at your pleasure. It shouldn't be that way.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let me add that another reason for adding the tPF rule was for quick mod action.

Mods work as a team. Enough mods need to agree to take action before it happens. That can take time. Enough time for someone to wreck a thread.

With the tPF rule, the OP decides a rule was violated (as originally written), notifies the mods, and the first mod to see it TBs the offender. Problem solved.

These days the mods act a lot quicker, often on their own, with team review later. You don't see, like you used to, a warning/TB come in a day or so after the offense.

I think if we see more of that, then a main reason for creating the tPF rule goes away.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the concept of trying to implement a rule that allows the OP of a thread to keep posts on topic. So many good threads go south when a handful of predictable posters start whining and trolling.

The problem is that the current rule leaves a lot of room for abuse by the OP, and we're seeing a number of tPf threads started as bait to draw certain posters in -- and then have them banned.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    For an OP author to threadban another member, they should have to prove that a forum rule was violated. We have all seen recent instances of members being threadbanned for simply disagreeing with the OP author, and we have seen members threadbanned, ostensibly for "off topic posting", for simply mentioning a related but technically off-topic matter in passing. As it stands right now, if you start a tPF thread and you want someone shut out of it, you can do that pretty much at your pleasure. It shouldn't be that way.

Agree. Well, not with "prove" but at least cite the rule violated, maybe argue it if it's not obvious.

As for going off-topic, well, that's mentioned in 4 or 5 rules as a rule violation, even mentioned in the tPF-rule. So not a good example. "for simply disagreeing with the OP" would be a good example of abuse of the rule--as originally written but no longer applied.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    If someone thread banned me from their thread, I would never visit anything that person started again. It doesn't seem like a good way to make friends or promote activity.
    Thanks to everyone. Again, I am not complaining against the rules; they are what they are and I accept them.

The reason I said I would not visit anyone's thread who banned me is that I don't troll or harass anyone. Perhaps I get off-subject sometimes, but not to derail a thread. A slight nudge back into line would be all I would need.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone. Again, I am not complaining against the rules; they are what they are and I accept them.

The reason I said I would not visit anyone's thread who banned me is that I don't troll or harass anyone. Perhaps I get off-subject sometimes, but not to derail a thread. A slight nudge back into line would be all I would need.
    In most of the instances that I've noted where someone was threadbanned - or possibly Warned by a Mod in a non-tPF thread - for "off topic posting", the OP author (or the Mod) was being unreasonably picayune in their application of the rule. Example: the author starts a thread called, say, "Obama Threatened Americans' Liberties" and then goes on to describe some action or policy that allegedly did that. Another member responds at some point in the thread by citing a similar or equivalent act by Trump, and is promptly threadbanned. Some members appear to only want posters in their thread who agree with their premise and who do not question or contradict it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's good for the forum to talk about the rules. Hopefully, the mod team will pay heed.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)