Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,876x in 3,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feast day of St Catherine of Sienna

Today is the Feast day of St Catherine of Siena, she is one of my favorite historical figures. I absolutely love her. Today the Pope gave her a little shout out. https://zenit.org/articles/on-her-fe...eral-audience/

It seems like today she is celebrated even more so, as she is considered the Doctor of the Church. During her life she nursed and cared for those who were sickened by the plague. But she did so much more than that, she was a deep devotee of the Lord. She had completely given her life to God in the deepest sense. But at the same time she didn't shy away from politics.

What impressed upon me the most was her devotion. She only lived to the age of 33. Her precious life may have been shortened from her years of extreme penance. I will copy and paste here what I had put in my Saints thread last year.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/114522-Saints

st catherine.jpg

Here is a wikipedia on St Catherine of Sienna
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_of_Siena

Excerpt:
    Catherine of Siena (25 March 1347 – 29 April 1380), a laywoman associated with the Dominican Order, was a mystic, activist, and author who had a great influence on Italian literature and the Catholic Church. Canonized in 1461, she is also a Doctor of the Church.She was born and raised in Siena, and at an early age wanted to devote herself to God, against the will of her parents. She joined the Dominican tertiaries. She made herself known very quickly by being marked by mystical phenomena such as invisible stigmata and a mystical marriage.[3] Her influence with Pope Gregory XI played a role in his decision to leave Avignon for Rome. She was then sent by him to negotiate peace with Florence. After Gregory XI's death and peace concluded, she returned to Siena. She dictated to secretaries her set of spiritual treatises The Dialogue of Divine Providence. The Great Schism of the West led Catherine of Siena to go to Rome with the pope. She sent numerous letters to princes and cardinals to promote obedience to Pope Urban VI and defend what she calls the "vessel of the Church." She died on 29 April 1380, exhausted by her penances. Urban VI celebrated her funeral and burial in the Basilica of Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome.

Here is one of the letters that St Catherine wrote. This link is also a really great study on her life and works. https://sites.nd.edu/manuscript-stud...mond-of-capua/

For when a soul sees not self for self’s sake, but self for God and God for God, inasmuch as he is supreme eternal Goodness, […] it finds in him the image of his creature, and in itself, that image, it finds him. That is, the love a man sees that God has for him, he, in turn, extends to all creatures, and so at once feels compelled to love his neighbour as himself, for he sees how supremely he himself is loved by God when he beholds himself in the wellspring of the sea of the divine Essence. He is then moved to love self in God and God in self, like a man who, on looking into the water, sees his image there and seeing himself, loves and delights in himself. If he is wise, he will be moved to love the water rather than himself, for had he not first seen himself, he could not have loved or been delighted by himself; nor removed the smudge on his face revealed to him in the well. Think of it like this […]: we see neither our dignity nor the defects that mar the beauty of our soul unless we go and look at ourselves in the still sea of the divine Essence wherein we are portrayed; for from it we came when God’s Wisdom created us to his image and likeness (171-172)

* I made a typo in the title. It is Siena, not Sienna.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (04-29-2020),Orion Rules (05-03-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 88,908x in 59,544 Posts
    Mentioned
    2290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend a day there. Nice town.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-29-2020)

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,876x in 3,802 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I spend a day there. Nice town.
    That's lovely. You've been to so many places. My Dad is like that, he can't stay in one place. He is always traveling and going places. He is really not liking quarantine he is not the type. He says what's the point of living if it is like this, infect me and get it over with, Lol.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-29-2020)

+ Reply to Thread