Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fundamental reality during emergencies

Nearly all of us have had the experience where we face a moment of emergency and it is as though time slows down, and you experience the moments in slow motion. I have had this experience a few times in my life. During these moments everything is crystal clear, and you can see every detail.

These are moments of pure raw fundamental reality. In an emergency the self takes a back seat and instinct takes it's place. The self isn't in the way to hinder your decisions. You don't have to think about what is happening you just know it. You just experience it in its fullness.

I had such a moment yesterday. I had just made a very hot cup of coffee (my favorite thing). I sat down comfortably at my desk, I took a lovely sip of coffee and then I sat the cup down on my desk and let go of it. I forgot that I had a pot holder on my desk and I must have sat it down on the edge of that pot holder on accident, so the cup didn't sit flat. Once I let go the cup tipped over. In slow motion I watched the coffee come out, I could see every ripple on the water and the light that was highlighting the ripples. I could see the water was shaped in a v shape as it was falling. It was in slow motion. I didn't have to think about what was happening, I simply understood it.

It may not have been an emergency moment if the cup hadn't been sitting right above my lap. That was no fun........ I am pretty sure I will NEVER ever make that mistake again, Lol.

But, I use every moment that I live as an opportunity to see things deeper. For me after I tended to being burned and all, it was about the moment of seeing fundamental nature in it's purest form without anything in the way. This is what monks meditate for years to accomplish. Seeing things as they are, not as we imagine them to be, just pure unfiltered awareness.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-02-2020),Peter1469 (05-02-2020)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Nearly all of us have had the experience where we face a moment of emergency and it is as though time slows down, and you experience the moments in slow motion. I have had this experience a few times in my life. During these moments everything is crystal clear, and you can see every detail.

These are moments of pure raw fundamental reality. In an emergency the self takes a back seat and instinct takes it's place. The self isn't in the way to hinder your decisions. You don't have to think about what is happening you just know it. You just experience it in its fullness.

I had such a moment yesterday. I had just made a very hot cup of coffee (my favorite thing). I sat down comfortably at my desk, I took a lovely sip of coffee and then I sat the cup down on my desk and let go of it. I forgot that I had a pot holder on my desk and I must have sat it down on the edge of that pot holder on accident, so the cup didn't sit flat. Once I let go the cup tipped over. In slow motion I watched the coffee come out, I could see every ripple on the water and the light that was highlighting the ripples. I could see the water was shaped in a v shape as it was falling. It was in slow motion. I didn't have to think about what was happening, I simply understood it.

It may not have been an emergency moment if the cup hadn't been sitting right above my lap. That was no fun........ I am pretty sure I will NEVER ever make that mistake again, Lol.

But, I use every moment that I live as an opportunity to see things deeper. For me after I tended to being burned and all, it was about the moment of seeing fundamental nature in it's purest form without anything in the way. This is what monks meditate for years to accomplish. Seeing things as they are, not as we imagine them to be, just pure unfiltered awareness.
    I had a moment of super strength about 20 years ago. I carried someonebinto ER that was not a small person
    On hindsight I am not sure how I did that. Per your coffee cup experience. Odd you should mention that. I have noticed over the past 2-3 weeks I have been unusually clumsy. It started when I had a lit candle sitting on a piano bench. For some reason I thought I could lift the top of the seat up without disturbing the lit candle. Didnt work that way. The candle slid off. Now I have a lot of red candle wax in the carpet. Since then it has been one thing after another.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-02-2020),Just AnotherPerson (05-02-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,137
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post

It is called the Tachy Psyche Effect, or more correctly, Tachypsychia.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-02-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I had a moment of super strength about 20 years ago. I carried someonebinto ER that was not a small person
    On hindsight I am not sure how I did that. Per your coffee cup experience. Odd you should mention that. I have noticed over the past 2-3 weeks I have been unusually clumsy. It started when I had a lit candle sitting on a piano bench. For some reason I thought I could lift the top of the seat up without disturbing the lit candle. Didnt work that way. The candle slid off. Now I have a lot of red candle wax in the carpet. Since then it has been one thing after another.
    Super strength, that is very interesting. It seems like there is more to us than we realize. Perhaps we have untapped potential. You see people lift cars off of people during an emergency, things like that. I remember when I was a teenager I was walking with my two sisters and a car almost hit one of my sisters and she jumped over the car. I wouldn't have believed it unless I seen it myself. She is not athletic, and just ordinary, but in that moment something happened.

There is not much worse than accidently spilling candle wax. Do you have a heat gun by any chance? If you heat that wax it will melt and then you can use a paper towel to soak it up. In theory anyways, Lol. I wonder if a hair dryer would get hot enough maybe not.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,576x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    It is called the Tachy Psyche Effect, or more correctly, Tachypsychia.
    That can happen in combat. Don't forget to breathe.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-02-2020),MMC (05-03-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did this happen before or after you talked with your several friends in Sweden?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread