Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    @Common Eight years might be too old but I've seen crate training work really well for dogs that freak out about thunderstorms and/or firecrackers
    He is crate trained, when he wants to go to bed he trots right over and goes inside, but when a storm comes he wants no part of it. He will cry and scratch at the door to get out.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common, my dog is a Xoloitzcuintli and I've gotten serious about modifying some of his behavior. I have found a lot of resources on the internet and some interesting videos on Netflix. Diego, as a feral breed, is totally lacking in the doting-on-humans gene that present in dogs bred by humans to serve humans so he's a challenge but his behavior can be modified.

If I figure out how to eliminate his phobia of snare drums I'll get back to you. Unfortunately, I live in Mexico which may be the drum and bugle corps capital of the world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Common, my dog is a Xoloitzcuintli and I've gotten serious about modifying some of his behavior. I have found a lot of resources on the internet and some interesting videos on Netflix. Diego, as a feral breed, is totally lacking in the doting-on-humans gene that present in dogs bred by humans to serve humans so he's a challenge but his behavior can be modified.

If I figure out how to eliminate his phobia of snare drums I'll get back to you. Unfortunately, I live in Mexico which may be the drum and bugle corps capital of the world.

Common, my dog is a Xoloitzcuintli

More commonly called the Mexican Hairless Dog from what ive read they are more wild than tamed. Good luck.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Common, my dog is a Xoloitzcuintli

More commonly called the Mexican Hairless Dog from what ive read they are more wild than tamed. Good luck.
    No, my daughter had a wolf. Now that animal was wild. Diego is more independent. I was trying to teach him to fetch so I could exercise him while I relax. I put a 25' leash on him and threw his toy down the longest hall in the apartment building. He ran and got the toy, which he always does, but didn't return. I reeled him in. Then I threw it, and he returned with the toy. I threw it a few times and he kept bringing it back. I thought, "This is easy." Then I dropped the leash and threw the toy. No problem. He brought it back. We did this a few times. "Wow, he learns quickly." Then I unclipped the leash from his collar and threw the toy. He ran and got it, came running back, jumped over me sitting on the stairs, ran up the stairs, into the apartment, hid the toy, and was relaxing when I got up there. I could distinctly hear him say, "Screw you."

The problem is that making me happy is no more important to Diego than it was to my ex-wife but Diego isn't malicious. My kids had a shepherd mix and he lived to make everyone in the family happy. Different breed.

+ Reply to Thread