Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usaf81 View Post
    Naw. My kid got him as a little pup he was never abused. The simple fact is some individual dogs, mostly from specific breeds, are more inclined to bite. Pit bulls, Rotts, Huskies, Akita's, sled dogs in particular go banana's anytime anyone even goes near their food. I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard, "I cant believe my dog did that" when responding to dog bites.

The truth is we anthropomorphize our dogs because we love them and they usually fit into the family well but they are in fact predators and you have to watch them for aggression cues. My GSD is superbly trained yet I wont let him approach other people or allow them to go near him. I have a process to introduce people to him. He's caught people on the property but instead of attacking he actually holds them there until I can come out. He isn't what I'd call a "biter" but your never 100% sure with any dog, even one I can put on his belly with a single voice command or hand signal.

I knew this other one was within days of meeting him. I wanted to take action sooner with a much more benign incident but was voted down. With this latest attack there was no question, just no question. There was no future for this dog around humans. I had the vet get an emergency waiver from animal control but the entire thing just made me sick.
    I think many people don't know how to properly train a dog - usually the same people who can't really train their own children. They let pups get away with bad behavior because it's cute when they are little. It's not so cute when they get older.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

usaf81 (05-17-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,583x in 94,415 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

usaf81 (05-17-2020)

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    usaf81's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 646x in 425 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I think many people don't know how to properly train a dog - usually the same people who can't really train their own children. They let pups get away with bad behavior because it's cute when they are little. It's not so cute when they get older.
    That and some individuals, and breeds, are simply untrainable. Or very difficult TO train. Chessie Bay Retrievers are wonderful waterfowl dogs but if you get a real knuckle head he's going to try you all the time. On the whole a very good breed but they go a little nuts around their food too.

I look at the horse manure about the particular breed in question on these internet sights and cant believe anyone would post such clap trap. And Ive known many of this breed, which I wont name, and it seems like these internet sights copy and paste the same nonsense for every breed there is.

Look at this. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/dalmatian/ People always think every fire house has a Dalmatian in it. The truth is none of them do because they are stupid as sin, bite all the time, wander off and get lost, and cant be trusted when the public is around. Nor can they be trained and they chew everything in sight. And thats not even getting into the health problems and bills. Heres another one https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/afghan-hound/
    A breed expert writes, “It’s not the breed for all would-be dog owners, but where the dog and owner combination is right, no animal can equal the Afghan Hound as a pet.”
    I guess that means if an owner is stupid then the Afghan is the perfect pet for him because Ive seen light bulbs brighter then Afghan's.
    “We hold these truths to be self-evident,” "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and some individuals, and breeds, are simply untrainable. Or very difficult TO train. Chessie Bay Retrievers are wonderful waterfowl dogs but if you get a real knuckle head he's going to try you all the time. On the whole a very good breed but they go a little nuts around their food too.

I look at the horse manure about the particular breed in question on these internet sights and cant believe anyone would post such clap trap. And Ive known many of this breed, which I wont name, and it seems like these internet sights copy and paste the same nonsense for every breed there is.

Look at this. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/dalmatian/ People always think every fire house has a Dalmatian in it. The truth is none of them do because they are stupid as sin, bite all the time, wander off and get lost, and cant be trusted when the public is around. Nor can they be trained and they chew everything in sight. And thats not even getting into the health problems and bills. Heres another one https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/afghan-hound/

I guess that means if an owner is stupid then the Afghan is the perfect pet for him because Ive seen light bulbs brighter then Afghan's.
    I've heard that Dalmations are biters. I have one of those dog breed books that has a picture of barred teeth next to the breeds that are prone to biting. I remember being surprised that the Disney dog isn't so sweet and needs a lot of training. Not recommended for children. There is controversy about the Afghan - some people say they aren't stupid, just incredibly stubborn. On the other hand, I once had a friend who had one and I wasn't impressed with the dog. He couldn't control it at all.

The Irish Retriever is a really beautiful dog, but a total airhead. Good for chasing butterflies. I love GSDs, but I'm wary of overbreeding. My last two dogs were Shiba Inus. They aren't the easiest dogs to train because they don't feel like they need to listen to you, but they are intelligent and they aren't biters. They also are not all that domesticated, which is why they don't dote on your every word. They are inveterate hunters, so you have to watch out for the wildlife in your backyard. Not for inexperienced dog owners.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Trish (05-17-2020),usaf81 (05-17-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that Dalmations are biters. I have one of those dog breed books that has a picture of barred teeth next to the breeds that are prone to biting. I remember being surprised that the Disney dog isn't so sweet and needs a lot of training. Not recommended for children. There is controversy about the Afghan - some people say they aren't stupid, just incredibly stubborn. On the other hand, I once had a friend who had one and I wasn't impressed with the dog. He couldn't control it at all.

The Irish Retriever is a really beautiful dog, but a total airhead. Good for chasing butterflies. I love GSDs, but I'm wary of overbreeding. My last two dogs were Shiba Inus. They aren't the easiest dogs to train because they don't feel like they need to listen to you, but they are intelligent and they aren't biters. They also are not all that domesticated, which is why they don't dote on your every word. They are inveterate hunters, so you have to watch out for the wildlife in your backyard. Not for inexperienced dog owners.
    Naw Afghans are dumb and dont really do much. One of the few breeds Ive seen "allow" burglars to come in. Bichons have more "game" then Afghan's.

Irish retrievers are a thing of beauty to watch hunt. They flow like water, incredibly graceful, and have a lot of energy. Plus they are good with the family. But they really range and like to bust. Forget about them for pheasant and even for birds that hold they can be a handful. You really have to train them to "hold" and have to be careful you get them out of closer in working lines. Most setters are like that tho they can be trained to work closer. It takes a lot of time, encouragement, and probably the collar. When I was guiding I had a guy who insisted on bring his Gordon out every time with my dog, that SOB busted every bird 150 yrds out and the guy wouldn't stop screaming after him but I figured he was the one paying for the hunt so have at it. Its a really bad dog that busts planted birds like that but every time he insisted on bringing this dummy out.

Which brings me to GSP and Vizsla's. The two most fabulous hunters and house dogs Ive ever owned. I had a vizsla that was so good the day he died I quit hunting upland birds. He was a super star, he could even pin a rabbit and they are great house dogs and protectors too. GSP's are real good but you have to be a little picky about breeders, vizsla breeders are very tight nit. GSP's tend to handle rough cover a bit better being a bit tougher. If you get a really good GSP from established lines you have a winner, but yes there are bad ones out there 'cause they got very popular. Both are very bright, the vizsla probably being the smartest hunter Ive ever been around. Labs and Goldens are just wonderful animals but they are mostly busters, I have trained Labs to hold on birds. Labs are generally very bright. Britts are very nice dogs if you want a pointer, bright and trainable. Sweet dispositions.

Springers are a hoot to follow. Fearless in heavy cover, work close, and bust birds within range. Very game and trainable they work best in teams. Chessies are real game and probably the ultimate waterfowl dog but ironically the most game ones are usually the biggest rock heads and you have to know what your doing because they will try you. But boy they got game in them, very bright too. I trained one who'd swim down a cripple 1/2 mile in 36% water, come back to the blind, shake off, and give you a look "wheres my next one"? A rock head but a truly gifted child, I put up with his guff cause I knew his potential.

Non hunters I only really know GSD's. You really have to research their breeder and look hard at Mom. I prefer East German lines because they are straight backed and leaner having fewer hip problems. They absolutely love to work and train, actually they need to. They respond very well to positive reinforcement but if you get a rock head you have to assert yourself. Ive seen workers do take downs of bad guys like a bolt of lightening hitting in the military.
    Last edited by usaf81; 05-17-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    “We hold these truths to be self-evident,” "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to usaf81 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-17-2020)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was keeping a family member's Dalmatian and she ended up biting a neighbor girl in the face. I was horrified. I returned the dog immediately and learned that the dog had a history of biting. The dog sitting was a temporary arrangement but still it would have been nice to know up front so I could have been prepared.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naw Afghans are dumb and dont really do much. One of the few breeds Ive seen "allow" burglars to come in. Bichons have more "game" then Afghan's.

Irish retrievers are a thing of beauty to watch hunt. They flow like water, incredibly graceful, and have a lot of energy. Plus they are good with the family. But they really range and like to bust. Forget about them for pheasant and even for birds that hold they can be a handful. You really have to train them to "hold" and have to be careful you get them out of closer in working lines. Most setters are like that tho they can be trained to work closer. It takes a lot of time, encouragement, and probably the collar. When I was guiding I had a guy who insisted on bring his Gordon out every time with my dog, that SOB busted every bird 150 yrds out and the guy wouldn't stop screaming after him but I figured he was the one paying for the hunt so have at it. Its a really bad dog that busts planted birds like that but every time he insisted on bringing this dummy out.

Which brings me to GSP and Vizsla's. The two most fabulous hunters and house dogs Ive ever owned. I had a vizsla that was so good the day he died I quit hunting upland birds. He was a super star, he could even pin a rabbit and they are great house dogs and protectors too. GSP's are real good but you have to be a little picky about breeders, vizsla breeders are very tight nit. GSP's tend to handle rough cover a bit better being a bit tougher. If you get a really good GSP from established lines you have a winner, but yes there are bad ones out there 'cause they got very popular. Both are very bright, the vizsla probably being the smartest hunter Ive ever been around. Labs and Goldens are just wonderful animals but they are mostly busters, I have trained Labs to hold on birds. Labs are generally very bright. Britts are very nice dogs if you want a pointer, bright and trainable. Sweet dispositions.

Springers are a hoot to follow. Fearless in heavy cover, work close, and bust birds within range. Very game and trainable they work best in teams. Chessies are real game and probably the ultimate waterfowl dog but ironically the most game ones are usually the biggest rock heads and you have to know what your doing because they will try you. But boy they got game in them, very bright too. I trained one who'd swim down a cripple 1/2 mile in 36% water, come back to the blind, shake off, and give you a look "wheres my next one"? A rock head but a truly gifted child, I put up with his guff cause I knew his potential.

Non hunters I only really know GSD's. You really have to research their breeder and look hard at Mom. I prefer East German lines because they are straight backed and leaner having fewer hip problems. They absolutely love to work and train, actually they need to. They respond very well to positive reinforcement but if you get a rock head you have to assert yourself. Ive seen workers do take downs of bad guys like a bolt of lightening hitting in the military.
    Many years back I had a white GSD - she was very intelligent, good with both adults and children, even babies, very protective, but she was also an alpha female. She demanded subservient behavior from every dog she encountered. She didn't bark at them, she just wanted them all to lay on their backs before her or else. The only 'dog' she ever demonstrated any respect for was actually a wolf - I think it was a wolf/malamute cross (mostly wolf). He was not threatening at all, but she immediately showed total deference. She was cowed in his presence. It was the oddest thing. On the other hand, we had a neighbor with a bouvier - a total goof of a dog and dumb as a bag of hammers. That dog used to come out of the house, run up and down the fence barking and threatening her and also kept sticking his head over the fence. He was pretty tall standing up. Now at this point Pax (the white GSD) was about 12-years-old and had pretty bad arthritis in her hips. The bouvier was 2 or 3-years old and quite a bit bigger than Pax. She couldn't jump the fence, but one day 'Kelly', the bouvier, stuck his head over the fence one too many times and she grabbed his collar, dragged him over the fence and had him on his back, pinned by the throat. I don't know if she would have killed him, because we ran out and rescued him. He never challenged her again.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weimaraner's are really beautiful hound dogs and I understand that they were originally bred for hunting but I don't know if they are used that way anymore or just as companion dogs. They are pretty stunning with their silver coat and blue eyes. I've never owned one, but have been curious about the breed in terms of their personalities.

Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,984x in 55,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there are breeds of dogs you can never trust. This is usually because of traits bred into them by irresponsible humans.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are still decent hunting lines but with Weimies you have to be especially careful and I'd prefer a pup with BOTH parents having a solid field trial history. 3/4 of what a pup will turn out to be comes from Mom so you have to look at Mom real hard. Ive hunted with a few decent Weimies, they are kind of cloddy and clumsy, but if you get a game one he'll want to hunt all day and they range close and keep a solid point. Very trainable and sweet around the house, they integrate well. Very nice dogs but maybe a notch below the better pointers in smarts. Of course the individual counts for a whole lot and I would consider Weimies a very good breed. Certainly a very handsome animal. I'll never have another dog like this so theres no point even trying.

Weimaraner's are really beautiful hound dogs and I understand that they were originally bred for hunting but I don't know if they are used that way anymore or just as companion dogs. They are pretty stunning with their silver coat and blue eyes. I've never owned one, but have been curious about the breed in terms of their personalities.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to usaf81 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-17-2020)

+ Reply to Thread