Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 96x in 89 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    1. slavery was outlawed. does that upset you?
    It matters not to me, I wasn't a slave owner.

2. once slavery was outlawed, the court determined that everyone had to be treated equally under the law.
    That's not true, you should spend more time studying history.

3. the constitution doesn't "limit government",
    Of course it does, you need to study civics, it will save you from embarrassing yourself when discussing these things you currently know nothing about. Are you a lib?

4. luckily, we don't live in the 1700's....
    Nothing wrong with the 1700's after the US won the Revolution. I mean, other than no air-conditioning or cars. But there was a hell of a lot more freedom then than there is now. Apparently that doesn't mean much to you. Are you a kept woman?

basically? too bad if you don't like everyone being treated equally under the law. i know they agree with you in iran. this country is better than that.

Off topic blather worthy of being banned from this thread.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 04-15-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    1. slavery was outlawed. does that upset you?
    2. once slavery was outlawed, the court determined that everyone had to be treated equally under the law.

shouldn't be anything objectionable there.

3. the constitution doesn't "limit government", or there wouldn't be a general welfare or commerce clause.

4. luckily, we don't live in the 1700's....

basically? too bad if you don't like everyone being treated equally under the law. i know they agree with you in iran. this country is better than that.

I will only comment on #3.

Yes, the constitution does limit the power of the federal government. Other than general operations, most of the powers that the federal government has over the states and the people are located in Art 1, sec. 8, US Const. (the Bill of Rights more says what the government can't do to you). The Commerce Clause is one of the enumerated powers under that clause, which has been named the General Welfare Clause.

But that is a misnomer. It is the list of what powers the States were ceding to the federal government. The States never agreed to given the federal government unlimited power.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    Hows that been working out for the inner cities??? Maybe if the system we are using is producing the wrong results, more of the same is not the answer?
    Just because something is taught in school, does not mean that it can't be taught at home. The fact is many parents spend no time whatsoever with their kids. It's not even that they expect the schools to teach self-respect or morality, they really don't think about it at all. They are either too ignorant to realize that children must be nurtured, not allowed to run wild on the streets or too wrapped up in working and dragging their kids from one after school-activity to another. Either extreme is bad news for the kids. Some people put their children first, but there are an increasing number who do not.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread