User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frustrated and struggling, New Yorkers contemplate abandoning the city they love

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,520x in 94,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frustrated and struggling, New Yorkers contemplate abandoning the city they love

Frustrated and struggling, New Yorkers contemplate abandoning the city they love

High rent and the lack of basic amenities with SARS-COV-2 piling on is forcing people to consider leaving NYC.

It was laundry that broke Mary Shell. Or rather, the lack of an in-unit washer and dryer in her Brooklyn apartment where Shell, 37, a field producer for reality television, could barely afford her half of the rent before the novel coronavirus pandemic because work had been slow for months. Times are even tougher now that her roommate, also unemployed, has had to move back in with her parents.

Shell was so financially strapped that she began inquiring about various night-life gigs, only to see covid-19 close all the bars and clubs. ("So that's another job you can't do in a pandemic.") Still, her situation might have been bearable if the nearest laundromat wasn't four blocks away.

"I just want to be able to do laundry without having to drag it up and down a four-story walk-up or pay someone $40 or $50 to do it for me," said Shell - echoing a gripe of New York City's apartment-dwellers so timeless that "Seinfeld," "Friends," "Living Single" and "Broad City" all have episodes about the indignities of shared laundry facilities. But throw in a pandemic and Shell said the stress has been "exhausting," noting how she recently showed up to her laundromat to find that someone had handled all the clothes she had just washed.

"Everyone deserves space and basic amenities," she said, lamenting how, in New York, many landlords deem a washing machine a "luxury" item. "It's just insulting to come at us and be like, 'We're going to charge you an extra thousand dollars a month for this standard appliance that's been in American households since the 1970s.' "

It's enough to make her contemplate leaving, for good.

Welcome to the Great Reassessment.
    This should be in Latest Happenings but I get a database error when I try to go there.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-27-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,032x in 24,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    notice

Notice

Moved to The Latest Happenings

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,469x in 36,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who saw that coming?

I mean really...the political class is hopelessly out of touch and the only people who support this are old, retired people who no longer have to make a living and just don't give a $#@!. We have several examples here.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-27-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,032x in 24,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to NYC a few times. I don't get it, living on top of all those people, the noise, the smells, the commotion, the cost. I know NYers think that they have it 'over' on us hayseeds. Now, I can at least tell them that "Hey, I have a washer and a dryer."
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (05-27-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After NYC became the epicenter for Covid, I think it lost some of its appeal, and things like not being able to do laundry conveniently probably seems all that much worse now.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,781
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I have been to NYC a few times. I don't get it, living on top of all those people, the noise, the smells, the commotion, the cost. I know NYers think that they have it 'over' on us hayseeds. Now, I can at least tell them that "Hey, I have a washer and a dryer."
    I do get it. I lived in NYC for two semesters of school. The food was crazy great and still is. The nightlife second to none. The entertainment, the economy great at the time the city thriving. I would often marvel at how it could be two in the morning....but it looked daylight in New York City. I came to appreciate the Big Apple. But, I'm a country boy. An outsider. I think it appealed to my youthfulness, today, the country appeals more to me.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I grew up about 30 miles from NYC, 28 years of my life. It was great for the museums and culture in my teens, and the night life in my early twenties.

And then I grew up.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Ransom (05-27-2020)

+ Reply to Thread