Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,046 Posts
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump threatens to pull Republican convention out of North Carolina

I mean really? I don't think this President realizes we have a pandemic, and no one knows how it will be in August? How can Cooper guarantee anything? It seems to me most of Trump's base doesn't wear masks anyway, I don't think they will have any issues in going to an arena standing next to others no matter the social distancing.

President Donald Trump
    began a solemn Memorial Day railing against North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, ahead of the 2020 Republican National Convention, threatening to pull it out of Charlotte, where the convention is expected to be held August 24 to 27. Trump contended that Cooper is "unable to guarantee" that the arena can be filled to capacity.

"I love the Great State of North Carolina, so much so that I insisted on having the Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August," Trump said in a series of tweets. "Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed full attendance in the Arena. In other words, we would be spending millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Democrat Governor would allow the Republican Party to fully occupy the space."
    He continued, "Plans are being made by many thousands of enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina!"

The tweets completely blindsided party officials and those involved in planning the convention, who have repeatedly argued that health and safety will come first. The officials have insisted planning for the convention is on track. However, Vice President Mike Pence echoed Trump on Monday, telling Fox News the convention could be moved "if need be" and listing some states that could be alternative locations.
    "It's an issue we've been talking about because these national conventions literally take many months to organize and prepare and there are states around the country -- we think of Texas, we think of Florida, Georgia, the last two states I visited last week that have made tremendous progress on reopening their communities and reopening their economies," Pence said.
    Pence said Trump's request of Cooper was "very reasonable." "We all want to be in Charlotte, we love North Carolina, but having a sense now is absolutely essential because of the rules and regulations that are involved, and we look forward to working with Gov. Cooper, getting a swift response, and, if need be, moving the national convention to a state that is farther along on reopening and can say with confidence that we can gather there," he said.

While the President called for "a guarantee" from North Carolina, that suggestion overlooks the uncertainty surrounding summertime levels of the coronavirus. Cooper, who is up for reelection in November, announced last week the state would advance to the next phase of its reopening plan, with restaurants, barber shops and salons among places that could open with limitations on Friday evening, while gyms, bars and movie theaters will remain closed.
    Both Cooper and the Democratic mayor of Charlotte, Vi Lyles, said their recommendations and decisions about the convention will be guided by science, not politics. Business owners see the convention as a potential lifeline after more than two months of economic disaster. "This is not political. This is not emotional. This is based on health experts, data and science and that's it for everybody to see," Cooper told CNN. "No one is being favored or disfavored over the other."

Cooper said the Republican gathering would be treated like any other major event and it remained unclear whether concerts or the NFL would return this summer and fall. Crowds are still limited to 10 people, under the governor's order, with additional phases of reopening still to come.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/polit...ion/index.html

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd move it. Wouldn't you, Leanne?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-25-2020)

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Leanne778's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post

I don't believe Cooper will back down or cave to pressure from Trump. He is concerned about the health and well being of people attending this type of event. No one has a crystal ball on how this country will be the end of August. Trump doesn't know either but as we all know he will move forward despite health concerns.

This is a hard decision for Cooper and I commend him for sticking to his beliefs. If Trump needs an answer right now, I would say move it. In my opinion, this virus isn't going anywhere. It's not going to miraculously disappear in August. In fact, we could have a second wave at that time. The only states Trump can do this would be hardcore Trump base states.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Do you think she comprehends how much time it takes to set up for the Convention, and Secret service to set up for City that holds the GOP convention?

You have to laugh at the Democrats that keep talking about they will follow the science.

So far the science is showing that Lockdowns don't work in stopping the spread of the virus. That science has shown that no matter how much science is used they cannot stop the spread of disease.

Oh and lastly science is showing that the Democrats and the left shouldn't talk about science ever again.

Trump should go ahead and move the GOP Convention to Florida. Let this Demo face the pushback for all the money he costs their state from the Convention.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (05-25-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Do you think she comprehends how much time it takes to set up for the Convention, and Secret service to set up for City that holds the GOP convention?

You have to laugh at the Democrats that keep talking about they will follow the science.

So far the science is showing that Lockdowns don't work in stopping the spread of the virus. That science has shown that no matter how much science is used they cannot stop the spread of disease.

Oh and lastly science is showing that the Democrats and the left shouldn't talk about science ever again.

Trump should go ahead and move the GOP Convention to Florida. Let this Demo face the pushback for all the money he costs their state from the Convention.
    I will have to disagree once again with you. Social distancing and wearing masks does help and I'm not gonna get into it with you again about that.

Of course it takes time to set up a convention. How many people you think will show up? This does need to be moved to a state that didn't shut down, that didn't require social distancing, yeah a Trump state. Hardcore fans who will definitely show up screaming for their leader wearing their little red MAGA hats.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leanne778 View Post
    I will have to disagree once again with you. Social distancing and wearing masks does help and I'm not gonna get into it with you again about that.

Of course it takes time to set up a convention. How many people you think will show up? This does need to be moved to a state that didn't shut down, that didn't require social distancing, yeah a Trump state. Hardcore fans who will definitely show up screaming for their leader wearing their little red MAGA hats.
    What does that have to do with lockdowns. Oh and if the Democrats were about science. They would be using the term physical distancing and not social distancing.

How many showed up in Cleveland last time? Another Demo city. They had a record turn out and the Demo Mayor of Cleveland was quite happy all that money was spent in his city.

I agree about moving it.....Trump should move it to Florida. Where they will appreciate all that money. Then let that Governor wish he would have held it there when he learns why he wasn't re-elected.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Cooper but will admit he is no where near as bad as NY, and other governors. There is a good chance he will back down. Hey at least he didn't make nursing homes take virus patients.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the governor is going to f with the convention, move it now. Don't wait.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

carolina73 (05-25-2020),MisterVeritis (05-25-2020),MMC (05-25-2020),Tahuyaman (05-25-2020)

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    If the governor is going to f with the convention, move it now. Don't wait.
    Well yea, Trump needs to stop saying may, might, ect and just do it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to roadmaster For This Useful Post:

MMC (05-25-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    What does that have to do with lockdowns. Oh and if the Democrats were about science. They would be using the term physical distancing and not social distancing.

How many showed up in Cleveland last time? Another Demo city. They had a record turn out and the Demo Mayor of Cleveland was quite happy all that money was spent in his city.

I agree about moving it.....Trump should move it to Florida. Where they will appreciate all that money. Then let that Governor wish he would have held it there when he learns why he wasn't re-elected.

Oh yeah, Cleveland had a record turn out, that was at the beginning of January. So that was when the reports started to swirl about the corona virus. This rally was held before thousands started to die from the virus. I wonder if the same were to be true if he held it in August. See, that's why you and your ilk are so different. You only care about money. Not people's lives.

+ Reply to Thread