User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worship is Essential: President Trump Vows to Override Governors on Religious Liberty

Hybrid View

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worship is Essential: President Trump Vows to Override Governors on Religious Liberty

Speaking from the White House Friday afternoon, President Donald Trump announced houses of worship have been classified as essential services by the federal government.

"At my direction the Centers for Disease Control and prevention is issuing guidance for communities of faith," Trump said. "Today I am identifying houses of worship, churches, synagogues and mosques as essential places that provide essential services. Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics as essential but have left out churches and other houses of worship. It's not right. So I'm correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential."

"I call upon governors to allow our churches and places of worship to open right now. If there's any question, they're going to have to call me but they're not going to be successful in that call. These are places that hold our society together and keep our people united. The people are demanding to go to church and synagogues, go to their mosque. Many millions of Americans embrace worship as an essential part of life. The ministers, pastors, rabbis, imams and other faith leaders will make sure their congregations are safe as they gather and pray. I know them well, they love their congregations, they love their people. They don't want anything bad to happen to them or to anybody else," he continued. "The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important, essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors. In America we need more prayers, not less." …..snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...rches-n2569314

Looks like Trump will start making things difficult for those Democrat Governors. About time.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump demands governors immediately open churches and threatens to 'override' holdouts

President Trump vowed to override the authority of governors if they don't reopen churches this weekend.

During a White House press conference on Friday, Trump said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the White House will update their policies to deem houses of worship as essential businesses.

"Today, I am identifying houses of worship, churches, synagogues, and mosques, as essential places that provide essential services. Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics as essential but have left out churches and other houses of worship. It’s not right. So, I’m correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship 'essential,'" Trump said during his brief appearance at the news conference.

Trump said that governors would need to update their social distancing protocols to include the opening of churches by this weekend, adding that if states don't do so, he'd override their authority through executive action to allow the public to attend worship services.

In California and Illinois, where Gov. Gavin Newsom and Gov. J.B. Pritzker have been particularly strict in their regulations on churches, their orders have provoked widespread outcry and several lawsuits from religious leaders.

In California, a coalition of more than 3,000 churches plans to break Newsom’s order on May 31. Newsom, while assuring churches of his trust in their abilities to social distance, has not yet announced a clear timeline of when they will be able to reopen.....snip~

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...rride-holdouts

Demo governors and mayors are being sued. Plus now Religious people are disobeying their Draconian Orders. Just like the Demos voters are. Throwing their block parties and going to beach. Making the Democrats look like they are clowns.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Speaking from the White House Friday afternoon, President Donald Trump announced houses of worship have been classified as essential services by the federal government.

"At my direction the Centers for Disease Control and prevention is issuing guidance for communities of faith," Trump said. "Today I am identifying houses of worship, churches, synagogues and mosques as essential places that provide essential services. Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics as essential but have left out churches and other houses of worship. It's not right. So I'm correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential."

"I call upon governors to allow our churches and places of worship to open right now. If there's any question, they're going to have to call me but they're not going to be successful in that call. These are places that hold our society together and keep our people united. The people are demanding to go to church and synagogues, go to their mosque. Many millions of Americans embrace worship as an essential part of life. The ministers, pastors, rabbis, imams and other faith leaders will make sure their congregations are safe as they gather and pray. I know them well, they love their congregations, they love their people. They don't want anything bad to happen to them or to anybody else," he continued. "The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important, essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors. In America we need more prayers, not less." …..snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...rches-n2569314

Looks like Trump will start making things difficult for those Democrat Governors. About time.
    Doesn't matter if it's "essential" or not. It's a Constitutionally protected right. The lockdowns are unconstitutional as well. This $#@! has to stop, and must never happen again.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-23-2020),FindersKeepers (05-23-2020),MMC (05-22-2020),The Xl (05-22-2020)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    pjohns's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,230x in 2,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's "essential" or not. It's a Constitutionally protected right. The lockdowns are unconstitutional as well. This $#@! has to stop, and must never happen again.
    I agree, completely.

However, I really do not know if President Trump can override the governors, because of the doctrine of federalism.

As a matter of practicality--at the moment, at least--I wish that he could.

But as a matter of pure principle, I do not.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,730
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,459x in 13,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I agree, completely.

However, I really do not know if President Trump can override the governors, because of the doctrine of federalism.

States cannot usurp the BOR.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I agree, completely.

Agree. I think Trump is right in what he says and in issuing guidance but don't think he can order governors to do it.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

pjohns (05-23-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice sentiment but he should have stopped at the "I will override them" bit. He doesn't have the authority to do so. Kaley was asked several times from the reporters in the room this question. "Under what authority does Trump have to override the governors?". She dodged the questions without every answering. Reason? There is no answer.

In my opinion Trump taking that stance will make it harder for him to assert his will onto the governors. Especially the Dems.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-23-2020),Peter1469 (05-23-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,380x in 15,849 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    It's a nice sentiment but he should have stopped at the "I will override them" bit. He doesn't have the authority to do so. Kaley was asked several times from the reporters in the room this question. "Under what authority does Trump have to override the governors?". She dodged the questions without every answering. Reason? There is no answer.

Sure there is. It is in his oath of office.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Sure there is. It is in his oath of office.
    The authority to override governors is in his oath of office?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    The authority to override governors is in his oath of office?
    regardless of anything anyone said, you don't believe in the BoR...............
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

+ Reply to Thread