User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Self vaccination?

  1. #1
    Points: 22,581, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3696
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8,702
    Points
    22,581
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,808
    Thanked 3,696x in 2,703 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Self vaccination?

    So I got into my hot car today that had my facemask sitting in the passenger seat where I left it from the last time I wore it grocery shopping a week ago.

    I wondered, should I grab a new mask from the package or reuse this used one? According to what I've read, any coronavirus that might be in it was dead and had been for days. Looked presentable enough to wear in public and still smelled new.

    I reused it, assuming that any virus in it was dead by now, and it occurred to me that if there was dead coronavirus in that mask and I inhaled it, then to the extent that my immune system would attack the dead virus, I was basically inoculating myself from coronavirus.

    If that was true, then it would seem hospital workers on the coronavirus front lines shouldn't be throwing away or even laundering their used hospital garments and masks soley due to virus exposure and contamination, but instead discarding them into warm or uv or sunny places for a period of time known to kill the virus, then rewearing the same garb if it is otherwise suitable to wear.

    Why would this NOT be a good idea? Why wouldn't this basically function as vaccination?
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/120290-Vodafone-denies-5G-coronavirus-connection

  2. #2
    Points: 113,081, Level: 81
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    179381
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    38,097
    Points
    113,081
    Level
    81
    Thanks Given
    6,875
    Thanked 10,846x in 7,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    So I got into my hot car today that had my facemask sitting in the passenger seat where I left it from the last time I wore it grocery shopping a week ago.

    I wondered, should I grab a new mask from the package or reuse this used one? According to what I've read, any coronavirus that might be in it was dead and had been for days. Looked presentable enough to wear in public and still smelled new.

    I reused it, assuming that any virus in it was dead by now, and it occurred to me that if there was dead coronavirus in that mask and I inhaled it, then to the extent that my immune system would attack the dead virus, I was basically inoculating myself from coronavirus.

    If that was true, then it would seem hospital workers on the coronavirus front lines shouldn't be throwing away or even laundering their used hospital garments and masks soley due to virus exposure and contamination, but instead discarding them into warm or uv or sunny places for a period of time known to kill the virus, then rewearing the same garb if it is otherwise suitable to wear.

    Why would this NOT be a good idea? Why wouldn't this basically function as vaccination?
    I think that if that was an option we would have a vaccination already. All you would have to do is colonize the virus...kill them and then inject it into your system. While I'm no virologist I would think that it's a tad more difficult than that.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  3. #3
    Points: 22,581, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3696
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8,702
    Points
    22,581
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,808
    Thanked 3,696x in 2,703 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen these guys walking around with masks that are turning gray and brown from use. Just filthy dirty looking. Now I wonder if they aren't the healthiest people standing, at least as far as coronavirus is concerned.
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-22-2020 at 07:59 PM.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/120290-Vodafone-denies-5G-coronavirus-connection

  4. #4
    Points: 113,081, Level: 81
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    179381
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    38,097
    Points
    113,081
    Level
    81
    Thanks Given
    6,875
    Thanked 10,846x in 7,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I've seen these guys walking around with masks that are turning gray and brown from use. Just filthy dirty looking. Now I wonder if they aren't the healthiest people standing, at least as far as coronavirus is concerned.
    It just means their masks aren't protecting them from the live virus.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  5. #5
    Points: 22,581, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3696
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8,702
    Points
    22,581
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,808
    Thanked 3,696x in 2,703 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? I can't read what you're saying because I put you and safety on ignore a few days ago.

    I highly recommend it to everyone, by the way.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/120290-Vodafone-denies-5G-coronavirus-connection

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

    Cotton1 (05-22-2020),FindersKeepers (05-23-2020),Helena (05-22-2020),Perianne (Yesterday),Private Pickle (05-22-2020)

  7. #6
    Points: 24,254, Level: 37
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    28140
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,806
    Points
    24,254
    Level
    37
    Thanks Given
    658
    Thanked 2,147x in 1,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I think that if that was an option we would have a vaccination already. All you would have to do is colonize the virus...kill them and then inject it into your system. While I'm no virologist I would think that it's a tad more difficult than that.
    You are correct. It's a tad more difficult.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

  8. #7
    Points: 132,021, Level: 87
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 629
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862985
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    53,880
    Points
    132,021
    Level
    87
    Thanks Given
    5,675
    Thanked 5,247x in 3,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    So I got into my hot car today that had my facemask sitting in the passenger seat where I left it from the last time I wore it grocery shopping a week ago.

    I wondered, should I grab a new mask from the package or reuse this used one? According to what I've read, any coronavirus that might be in it was dead and had been for days. Looked presentable enough to wear in public and still smelled new.

    I reused it, assuming that any virus in it was dead by now, and it occurred to me that if there was dead coronavirus in that mask and I inhaled it, then to the extent that my immune system would attack the dead virus, I was basically inoculating myself from coronavirus.

    If that was true, then it would seem hospital workers on the coronavirus front lines shouldn't be throwing away or even laundering their used hospital garments and masks soley due to virus exposure and contamination, but instead discarding them into warm or uv or sunny places for a period of time known to kill the virus, then rewearing the same garb if it is otherwise suitable to wear.

    Why would this NOT be a good idea? Why wouldn't this basically function as vaccination?
    My best guess is that the answer lays in the fact that the virus is dead. Viruses die when their protective coating breaks down. The protective coating is an antigen (in this case a toxic protein) and the antigen is necessary to trigger an immune response. When vaccines are manufactured, they separate the antigen from the virus and use it in the vaccine to allow the body to identify it and develop an antibody response, so that the next time it encounters that antigen, it throws an army of antibodies at it to kill it before the virus can multiply.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #8
    Points: 22,581, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3696
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8,702
    Points
    22,581
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,808
    Thanked 3,696x in 2,703 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    You are correct. It's a tad more difficult.
    Uh-huh. Oh, okay then ... I'm convinced. LOL.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/120290-Vodafone-denies-5G-coronavirus-connection

  10. #9
    Points: 22,581, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3696
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8,702
    Points
    22,581
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,808
    Thanked 3,696x in 2,703 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    My best guess is that the answer lays in the fact that the virus is dead. Viruses die when their protective coating breaks down. The protective coating is an antigen (in this case a toxic protein) and the antigen is necessary to trigger an immune response. When vaccines are manufactured, they separate the antigen from the virus and use it in the vaccine to allow the body to identify it and develop an antibody response, so that the next time it encounters that antigen, it throws an army of antibodies at it to kill it before the virus can multiply.

    Ahh ... the zoo perspective.

    Viruses die for several reasons, one of which is heartbreak. Actually, they don't die. They become inactive, which you understand as "dying".

    From heartbreak, I tell you.
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/120290-Vodafone-denies-5G-coronavirus-connection

  11. #10
    Points: 24,254, Level: 37
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    28140
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,806
    Points
    24,254
    Level
    37
    Thanks Given
    658
    Thanked 2,147x in 1,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    My best guess is that the answer lays in the fact that the virus is dead. Viruses die when their protective coating breaks down. The protective coating is an antigen (in this case a toxic protein) and the antigen is necessary to trigger an immune response. When vaccines are manufactured, they separate the antigen from the virus and use it in the vaccine to allow the body to identify it and develop an antibody response, so that the next time it encounters that antigen, it throws an army of antibodies at it to kill it before the virus can multiply.
    This is basically correct but a little simplistic. There can be many antigenic determinants on a bug be it a virus, bacteria etc. The tricky part to develop a vaccine is finding the right antigen. Some antigenic sites may stimulate an antibody response that is not protective. That has been the case in the attempts at developing a vaccine against HIV. It's not as simple as just exposing one to a dead virus, although "dead virus" is a misnomer as viruses are not "alive", they are obligate parasites. It appears that most of the approaches to vaccine development are directed at the "spikes" on the protein coat of this virus. They seem to be important in the binding of the virus to the target cell. If you can interrupt that binding you may neutralize the virus.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (05-22-2020),Private Pickle (05-22-2020)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO