Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self vaccination?

So I got into my hot car today that had my facemask sitting in the passenger seat where I left it from the last time I wore it grocery shopping a week ago.

I wondered, should I grab a new mask from the package or reuse this used one? According to what I've read, any coronavirus that might be in it was dead and had been for days. Looked presentable enough to wear in public and still smelled new.

I reused it, assuming that any virus in it was dead by now, and it occurred to me that if there was dead coronavirus in that mask and I inhaled it, then to the extent that my immune system would attack the dead virus, I was basically inoculating myself from coronavirus.

If that was true, then it would seem hospital workers on the coronavirus front lines shouldn't be throwing away or even laundering their used hospital garments and masks soley due to virus exposure and contamination, but instead discarding them into warm or uv or sunny places for a period of time known to kill the virus, then rewearing the same garb if it is otherwise suitable to wear.

Why would this NOT be a good idea? Why wouldn't this basically function as vaccination?

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    So I got into my hot car today that had my facemask sitting in the passenger seat where I left it from the last time I wore it grocery shopping a week ago.

I wondered, should I grab a new mask from the package or reuse this used one? According to what I've read, any coronavirus that might be in it was dead and had been for days. Looked presentable enough to wear in public and still smelled new.

I reused it, assuming that any virus in it was dead by now, and it occurred to me that if there was dead coronavirus in that mask and I inhaled it, then to the extent that my immune system would attack the dead virus, I was basically inoculating myself from coronavirus.

If that was true, then it would seem hospital workers on the coronavirus front lines shouldn't be throwing away or even laundering their used hospital garments and masks soley due to virus exposure and contamination, but instead discarding them into warm or uv or sunny places for a period of time known to kill the virus, then rewearing the same garb if it is otherwise suitable to wear.

Why would this NOT be a good idea? Why wouldn't this basically function as vaccination?
    I think that if that was an option we would have a vaccination already. All you would have to do is colonize the virus...kill them and then inject it into your system. While I'm no virologist I would think that it's a tad more difficult than that.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,530x in 2,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I think that if that was an option we would have a vaccination already. All you would have to do is colonize the virus...kill them and then inject it into your system. While I'm no virologist I would think that it's a tad more difficult than that.
    You are correct. It's a tad more difficult.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    You are correct. It's a tad more difficult.
    Uh-huh. Oh, okay then ... I'm convinced. LOL.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen these guys walking around with masks that are turning gray and brown from use. Just filthy dirty looking. Now I wonder if they aren't the healthiest people standing, at least as far as coronavirus is concerned.
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-22-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen these guys walking around with masks that are turning gray and brown from use. Just filthy dirty looking. Now I wonder if they aren't the healthiest people standing, at least as far as coronavirus is concerned.
    It just means their masks aren't protecting them from the live virus.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? I can't read what you're saying because I put you and safety on ignore a few days ago.

I highly recommend it to everyone, by the way.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-22-2020),FindersKeepers (05-23-2020),Helena (05-22-2020),Perianne (05-24-2020),Private Pickle (05-22-2020)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best guess is that the answer lays in the fact that the virus is dead. Viruses die when their protective coating breaks down. The protective coating is an antigen (in this case a toxic protein) and the antigen is necessary to trigger an immune response. When vaccines are manufactured, they separate the antigen from the virus and use it in the vaccine to allow the body to identify it and develop an antibody response, so that the next time it encounters that antigen, it throws an army of antibodies at it to kill it before the virus can multiply.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    My best guess is that the answer lays in the fact that the virus is dead. Viruses die when their protective coating breaks down. The protective coating is an antigen (in this case a toxic protein) and the antigen is necessary to trigger an immune response. When vaccines are manufactured, they separate the antigen from the virus and use it in the vaccine to allow the body to identify it and develop an antibody response, so that the next time it encounters that antigen, it throws an army of antibodies at it to kill it before the virus can multiply.

Ahh ... the zoo perspective.

Viruses die for several reasons, one of which is heartbreak. Actually, they don't die. They become inactive, which you understand as "dying".

From heartbreak, I tell you.
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,530x in 2,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    This is basically correct but a little simplistic. There can be many antigenic determinants on a bug be it a virus, bacteria etc. The tricky part to develop a vaccine is finding the right antigen. Some antigenic sites may stimulate an antibody response that is not protective. That has been the case in the attempts at developing a vaccine against HIV. It's not as simple as just exposing one to a dead virus, although "dead virus" is a misnomer as viruses are not "alive", they are obligate parasites. It appears that most of the approaches to vaccine development are directed at the "spikes" on the protein coat of this virus. They seem to be important in the binding of the virus to the target cell. If you can interrupt that binding you may neutralize the virus.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-22-2020),Private Pickle (05-22-2020)

+ Reply to Thread