Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,716x in 16,156 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Buy some plastic wrap or food storage bags. Then your fridge won't smell if you want to keep half an onion for your next meal prep.
    Thank you. Since I have started cooking I am a bit overwhelmed with smells from it. The other day I cooked a tenderloin and cut it in half. I bought it pre-packaged "steakhouse" flavor. I ended up eating the other half late that night to get it out of the fridge. I am simply not used to it. I have eaten out so long and ordered in for so long I am used to tossing away things when Im done. "When I'm done" usually means nothing left but a plate or container. I have a really neat creme brulee' dish that one of my fav places to eat let me take my dessert home in just before the restaraunts were shut down for Covid. Ive usually only had basics like sandwich meat, bread , cereal and things to drink in my fridge. (I keep it all in the fridge). I try to mostly use only disposable cups, plates, bowls etc. Lately I discovered how easy it is to put non-disposables in the dishwasher. I dont put X here and Y there. I just fill up the top rack and only use the bottom rack when I am out of space. I bought a huge thing of 150 disposable plates 3-4 weeks ago. I thought " oh yea this'll last forever". Nope, it lasted until yesterday.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Today I made spaghetti. I put onions in it. It tasted great but the onion smell took the place over. I ended up throwing what was left of the spaghetti and what was left of the onion outside in the trash. My question is if there is a type of onion that has taste but not the smell? Can I neutralize just the smell? I certainly can live without onions so no big deal. But im a bit frustrated. I spent more time dealing with the onion and its aftermath than I did anything

LOL! That's hilarious! Thanks!

Maybe use milder onions? Ask your grocer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-25-2020)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,260
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Since I have started cooking I am a bit overwhelmed with smells from it. The other day I cooked a tenderloin and cut it in half. I bought it pre-packaged "steakhouse" flavor. I ended up eating the other half late that night to get it out of the fridge. I am simply not used to it. I have eaten out so long and ordered in for so long I am used to tossing away things when Im done. "When I'm done" usually means nothing left but a plate or container. I have a really neat creme brulee' dish that one of my fav places to eat let me take my dessert home in just before the restaraunts were shut down for Covid. Ive usually only had basics like sandwich meat, bread , cereal and things to drink in my fridge. (I keep it all in the fridge). I try to mostly use only disposable cups, plates, bowls etc. Lately I discovered how easy it is to put non-disposables in the dishwasher. I dont put X here and Y there. I just fill up the top rack and only use the bottom rack when I am out of space. I bought a huge thing of 150 disposable plates 3-4 weeks ago. I thought " oh yea this'll last forever". Nope, it lasted until yesterday.
    When you are cooking for one, it's easy to waste food. However, if you cook food with a plan, you will waste far less and do less cooking. To do so you will have to invest in some decent food storage containers, ideally the kind that you can also put in the oven. So, say you want to eat chicken breasts one night. Rather than just cooking one, you cook two - heck they usually sell them with a minimum of two in a pack anyway. You eat one the night you cook it. The other one you put away in the fridge (in a sealed container or food storage bag). The next day you use that cooked chicken breast in a different dish. One of the easiest is a chicken caesar salad. Your only prep is cutting up the cooked chicken breast and mixing it with a bagged salad. Add dressing and voila! Plus you can eat it right out of the salad bowl you mixed it in if you want. Nobody's looking. Another way to use it is to turn it into a stir fry. You can buy frozen stir fry vegetables with directions on how to cook them. Add your already cooked chicken (chopped up) and again you have an easy meal with no waste. Another way to use that extra chicken breast is to turn it into tacos.

This is a link to recipes for leftovers: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1...day-leftovers/

When you buy food, consider how you might get more mileage out of your cooking efforts.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (05-25-2020)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you are cooking for one, it's easy to waste food. However, if you cook food with a plan, you will waste far less and do less cooking. To do so you will have to invest in some decent food storage containers, ideally the kind that you can also put in the oven. So, say you want to eat chicken breasts one night. Rather than just cooking one, you cook two - heck they usually sell them with a minimum of two in a pack anyway. You eat one the night you cook it. The other one you put away in the fridge (in a sealed container or food storage bag). The next day you use that cooked chicken breast in a different dish. One of the easiest is a chicken caesar salad. Your only prep is cutting up the cooked chicken breast and mixing it with a bagged salad. Add dressing and voila! Plus you can eat it right out of the salad bowl you mixed it in if you want. Nobody's looking. Another way to use it is to turn it into a stir fry. You can buy frozen stir fry vegetables with directions on how to cook them. Add your already cooked chicken (chopped up) and again you have an easy meal with no waste. Another way to use that extra chicken breast is to turn it into tacos.

This is a link to recipes for leftovers: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1...day-leftovers/

When you buy food, consider how you might get more mileage out of your cooking efforts.
    I will hit the kitchen section in Wal-Mart and buy a bunch of containers etc. I am just now getting a feel for what I need to buy to last till the next trip. I have learned that I will have to go back for milk every 7-8 days so I sort of pivot from that. I am still cooking really simple stuff. Even if I could make cookies from scratch I find it too easy to slice and bake. I am not a big sweet eater but I love chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies. I have never made them but I am going to this week. I will need wax paper.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (05-25-2020)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,260
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will hit the kitchen section in Wal-Mart and buy a bunch of containers etc. I am just now getting a feel for what I need to buy to last till the next trip. I have learned that I will have to go back for milk every 7-8 days so I sort of pivot from that. I am still cooking really simple stuff. Even if I could make cookies from scratch I find it too easy to slice and bake. I am not a big sweet eater but I love chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies. I have never made them but I am going to this week. I will need wax paper.
    Parchment paper is better than wax paper and you can also use it in the oven (like when you bake cookies). Saves some cleanup.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need a daytime wife. One that shows up with her own cleaning supplies and cooks too. She could come in about 10AM (quietly on case Im sleeping). 11AM fix lunch. About 1PM she could clean stuff till about say 2-3. Then she could take a break and make up some hors duerves and fix us drinks till 5 ish. Then she could make dinner and mire drinks. She could laugh at my corny jokes till about 7. Then she could clean more stuff and leave at 8PM. On the way home she could run my errands. On weekends she could wash clothes.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Parchment paper is better than wax paper and you can also use it in the oven (like when you bake cookies). Saves some cleanup.
    I have no clue what parchment paper is. Ill look it up real quick.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need a daytime wife. One that shows up with her own cleaning supplies and cooks too. She could come in about 10AM (quietly on case Im sleeping). 11AM fix lunch. About 1PM she could clean stuff till about say 2-3. Then she could take a break and make up some hors duerves and fix us drinks till 5 ish. Then she could make dinner and mire drinks. She could laugh at my corny jokes till about 7. Then she could clean more stuff and leave at 8PM. On the way home she could run my errands. On weekends she could wash clothes.
    Gee Cotton. I bet they'll line up at the door for that, jerk!
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just looked it up. I'll get some!
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I made spaghetti. I put onions in it. It tasted great but the onion smell took the place over. I ended up throwing what was left of the spaghetti and what was left of the onion outside in the trash. My question is if there is a type of onion that has taste but not the smell? Can I neutralize just the smell? I certainly can live without onions so no big deal. But im a bit frustrated. I spent more time dealing with the onion and its aftermath than I did anything
    While its got a differnt taste try shallots . did you use sweet onions i find they are not overpowering smell or taste wise

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bulletbob For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (05-25-2020)

+ Reply to Thread