User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: A question about onions

  1. #1
    Points: 35,227, Level: 45
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5210
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Memphis and Arkansas
    Posts
    10,608
    Points
    35,227
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    5,858
    Thanked 5,203x in 3,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A question about onions

    Today I made spaghetti. I put onions in it. It tasted great but the onion smell took the place over. I ended up throwing what was left of the spaghetti and what was left of the onion outside in the trash. My question is if there is a type of onion that has taste but not the smell? Can I neutralize just the smell? I certainly can live without onions so no big deal. But im a bit frustrated. I spent more time dealing with the onion and its aftermath than I did anything
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

  2. #2
    Points: 10,460, Level: 24
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1939
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    West of Pixley
    Posts
    2,500
    Points
    10,460
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    1,578
    Thanked 1,464x in 1,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Today I made spaghetti. I put onions in it. It tasted great but the onion smell took the place over. I ended up throwing what was left of the spaghetti and what was left of the onion outside in the trash. My question is if there is a type of onion that has taste but not the smell? Can I neutralize just the smell? I certainly can live without onions so no big deal. But im a bit frustrated. I spent more time dealing with the onion and its aftermath than I did anything
    Curious problem. Exactly how much onion did you put in this spaghetti....??!!


    (did you saute it first before you put it in the sauce??)

    Volvo

    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (05-25-2020)

  4. #3
    Points: 35,227, Level: 45
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5210
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Memphis and Arkansas
    Posts
    10,608
    Points
    35,227
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    5,858
    Thanked 5,203x in 3,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Curious problem. Exactly how much onion did you put in this spaghetti....??!!


    (did you saute it first before you put it in the sauce??)
    No I didnt. I didnt even think to saute' it.
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

  5. #4
    Points: 133,735, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 2,315
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    863208
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    54,478
    Points
    133,735
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    5,929
    Thanked 5,470x in 3,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Today I made spaghetti. I put onions in it. It tasted great but the onion smell took the place over. I ended up throwing what was left of the spaghetti and what was left of the onion outside in the trash. My question is if there is a type of onion that has taste but not the smell? Can I neutralize just the smell? I certainly can live without onions so no big deal. But im a bit frustrated. I spent more time dealing with the onion and its aftermath than I did anything
    Do you have a range hood over your stove? That removes a lot of cooking odors.

    Did you open any doors or windows before cooking? If not, it helps a lot. Also fans.

    Air freshener - the kind that's intended to neutralize odors.

    What's wrong with the smell of cooked onions? I like it - it makes me hungry.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (05-26-2020)

  7. #5
    Points: 133,735, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 2,315
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    863208
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    54,478
    Points
    133,735
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    5,929
    Thanked 5,470x in 3,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    No I didnt. I didnt even think to saute' it.
    They taste much better in sauce if you brown the onions a bit first. They smell nicer as well.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #6
    Points: 35,227, Level: 45
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5210
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Memphis and Arkansas
    Posts
    10,608
    Points
    35,227
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    5,858
    Thanked 5,203x in 3,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Do you have a range hood over your stove? That removes a lot of cooking odors.

    Did you open any doors or windows before cooking? If not, it helps a lot. Also fans.

    Air freshener - the kind that's intended to neutralize odors.

    What's wrong with the smell of cooked onions? I like it - it makes me hungry.
    I didnt do any of that stuff. But I have lit candles all over the place now. I like onions but getting rid of the smell is hard. Thats the reason I started this thread. As many people that use onions I thought I had to be missing something. I have put them on hamburgers before but the smell was a problem then as well. This was the first time I have ever chopped an onion up and cooked with it.
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

  9. #7
    Points: 35,227, Level: 45
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5210
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Memphis and Arkansas
    Posts
    10,608
    Points
    35,227
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    5,858
    Thanked 5,203x in 3,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They taste much better in sauce if you brown the onions a bit first. They smell nicer as well.
    I have no idea why but for some reason that made me want to fix a Mint Julep.
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

  10. #8
    Points: 133,735, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 2,315
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    863208
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    54,478
    Points
    133,735
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    5,929
    Thanked 5,470x in 3,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I didnt do any of that stuff. But I have lit candles all over the place now. I like onions but getting rid of the smell is hard. Thats the reason I started this thread. As many people that use onions I thought I had to be missing something. I have put them on hamburgers before but the smell was a problem then as well. This was the first time I have ever chopped an onion up and cooked with it.
    If you really hate the smell of raw onion, perhaps you should chop them up outside. That way they won't smell up your place. Hopefully you like the smell of sauteed or fried onions.

    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #9
    Points: 35,227, Level: 45
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5210
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Memphis and Arkansas
    Posts
    10,608
    Points
    35,227
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    5,858
    Thanked 5,203x in 3,754 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    If you really hate the smell of raw onion, perhaps you should chop them up outside. That way they won't smell up your place. Hopefully you like the smell of sauteed or fried onions.

    I can live with a bit of a smell. I never thought to saute' the onions. I put half of a large onion in it but threw the other half out because I didn't the fridge to smell bad.
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

  12. #10
    Points: 133,735, Level: 88
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 2,315
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    863208
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    54,478
    Points
    133,735
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    5,929
    Thanked 5,470x in 3,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I can live with a bit of a smell. I never thought to saute' the onions. I put half of a large onion in it but threw the other half out because I didn't the fridge to smell bad.
    Buy some plastic wrap or food storage bags. Then your fridge won't smell if you want to keep half an onion for your next meal prep.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Cotton1 (05-25-2020)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO