Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,259x in 12,383 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    I loved The Last Ship. Especially the first season. Couldn't wait for the next episode. But then it started to fade.

SPOILER AHEAD

I really didn't like it when they killed off the sexy female scientist that was one of the biggest attractions of the show.

OK, I hear you, and I'd said as much elsewhere that not all shows are anti-military. But Siren is. The military are definitely depicted as evil - they kidnap the siren, torture her, kidnap one of the main character's friend, doing evil experiments, etc. This gets better in the second season but the first one is definitely anti-military.

But while I love our military, I don't let these aspects in shows spoil my entertainment. I watch Siren for the interesting plot, suspense, some hot chicks...
    Hey, the military has been harassing, chasing, capturing, drugging, caging and experimenting on anyone or anything unusual - in the movies, I mean - since at least the '40s. Hard to say whether or not this reflects reality until we actually have a documented alien, mermaid or whatever in the real world, but I for one strongly suspect that the real military in that kind of situation would probably mirror fiction pretty exactly.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,581x in 55,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Do you have Amazon? Yellowstone with Kevin Costner is pretty good. It's a pay series though.
    It’s good. It comes with a Comcast subscription.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-17-2020)

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sunsettommy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 939x in 558 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Prisoner 1967-1968 Watched it when I was a kid.

Get Smart

The Jeffersons
    "Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just watched a tremendous mini-series (7 episodes) on Netflix from 2017 called 'Godless'. Very dark and gritty Western with amazing characters, wonderfully filmed on location in New Mexico. Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston and many other talented actors. Culminates in the single most incredibly vivid and well done gunfight I have ever seen in any movie.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Agree with those who praise 'Yellowstone' - it's great. Its creator, Taylor Sheridan, wrote the film Hell or High Water and wrote and directed Wind River.
    I just finished the third season of Yellowstone. Awesome, awesome series and worth every penny I had to pay to watch it.

I rank it up there with Breaking Bad. Rip is the man, but so is John Dutton.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I just finished the third season of Yellowstone. Awesome, awesome series and worth every penny I had to pay to watch it.

I rank it up there with Breaking Bad. Rip is the man, but so is John Dutton.
    I just read an interview where Costner indicated he is not happy with some of the things being done with his character. Mostly it's just that things keep being added to Dutton's backstory at the last minute and he feels like the writers are blindsiding him. Hope that doesn't portend an end to the series after season 4.

Kelly Reilly, who plays John Dutton's daughter in 'Yellowstone', is also one of the main characters in another good show I've been watching lately called 'Brittania'. (I think I may have posted about it in another thread.) Deals with the Roman conquest of Britain in the first century AD. Not for the squeamish.

I finally got around to checking out 'Breaking Bad' a month or so ago and was seriously hooked around the middle of season 1. Have now watched the whole series, the t.v. movie 'El Camino' (at least as good as the series, I thought) and all five (so far) seasons of 'Better Call Saul'. It's funny, last night I was planning out a drive I may make sometime soon, Arizona to Indiana to see my sister, and I figured Albuquerque would be my first stop. Apparently they've really embraced the whole 'Breaking Bad' vibe out there, with guided tours of the shooting locations, a store selling 'BB' memorabilia and a candy company that specializes in blue-tinted rock candy that they actually used in the show to simulate Walter's crystal meth.

After 'Sons of Anarchy' and 'Banshee' I'd have to rank 'BB' as my all-time #3 favorite drama.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Perianne (10-18-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got around to checking out 'Breaking Bad' a month or so ago and was seriously hooked around the middle of season 1.
    That was about where I got hooked. Breaking Bad just got better and better as the seasons went along. Seriously good writing.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That was about where I got hooked. Breaking Bad just got better and better as the seasons went along. Seriously good writing.
    I think it was something that happened in episode 6 or 7 that hooked me on 'B.B.' - when Walter set the loud-mouth's fancy car on fire with the squeegee on the battery trick. For some reason that made me think, "This is getting good now."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was something that happened in episode 6 or 7 that hooked me on 'B.B.' - when Walter set the loud-mouth's fancy car on fire with the squeegee on the battery trick. For some reason that made me think, "This is getting good now."
    It was when Walter took the mercury fulminate into Tuco's HQ and blew out the side of the wall. I know it was unrealistic, but I still liked it.

The squeegee on the battery was a great scene, too.

Yellowstone has a lot of those types of scenes, especially the ones with Rip.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was when Walter took the mercury fulminate into Tuco's HQ and blew out the side of the wall. I know it was unrealistic, but I still liked it.

The squeegee on the battery was a great scene, too.

Yellowstone has a lot of those types of scenes, especially the ones with Rip.
    Oh, some fantasy elements definitely creep into 'Breaking Bad' - things that just don't make a lot of sense or that are highly unlikely to happen as depicted - but it's no fun to dwell on those. I sometimes find myself saying, "But what about...oh, who cares?"

Some of my favorite scenes from 'Yellowstone' do involve John or Rip, of course, but Kelly Reilly, "Beth", has had some memorable moments. Like when she got back at the jewelry store clerk who tried to frame Beth's sister-in-law for shoplifting. Or the time she was bathing in the horse trough and ended up walking back across the yard carrying a whisky bottle and wearing nothing but a cowboy hat. Boy howdy!

+ Reply to Thread