User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Christian Critique of Secular Progressivism

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A Christian Critique of Secular Progressivism

A Christian Critique of Secular Progressivism is a chronicle of the end of history concept.

...Augustine was the first thinker to propose a comprehensive linear philosophy of history. It begins with God’s creation of the universe and ends with the return of Jesus and Judgment Day. These ideas shaped Western Culture for a millennium. Even the greatest scientist in history, Isaac Newton, dedicated large amounts of his prodigious intellect studying the Book of Daniel trying to determine, when will Jesus return?

The rise of secular philosophy in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries did not expunge the end of history idea from intellectual history. Like so many other Christian ideas, they were cloaked in new nomenclature, but the fundamental essence remained intact. Enlightenment philosophers, like all of us, could not completely escape their intellectual heritage. The spiritual morphed into the material, but this is analogous to a snake shedding its skin: all differences are superficial. Closer examination reveals continuation, not distinction. Among secularists, an anthro-centered world challenged, and to some degree replaced the theo-centered world promoted since the dawn of civilization, but these new prophets still adopted the Judeo-Christian notion that history moves in a linear fashion, complete with an end-point. Now, man orchestrates historical events, not God.

These new end of history prophets preached human perfection and paradise, yet they were bereft of any sort of divine origins. ...The perfect no longer existed in the afterlife that had been banished by the Enlightenment, now for secularists it could only be created in this lifetime.

...Hegel influenced two of the most significant end of history theorists in the second half of the nineteenth century, Augustine Comte and Karl Marx. Their rigid materialism denied the existence of any sort of geist in the universe, but they maintained a linear, progressive interpretation of history, complete with an end point....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Mister D (05-28-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A Christian Critique of Secular Progressivism is a chronicle of the end of history concept.
    This is the point was trying to make the other night on the Charles Peguy thread. Ideas derived from Christian theology and anthropology were emptied of their transcendent content and thus appeared unchristian. That would have been very apparent and more deeply felt in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. For us today, I think that these ideas are deeply indebted to Christianity seems much more obvious.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-28-2020)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    This is the point was trying to make the other night on the Charles Peguy thread. Ideas derived from Christian theology and anthropology were emptied of their transcendent content and thus appeared unchristian. That would have been very apparent and more deeply felt in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. For us today, I think that these ideas are deeply indebted to Christianity seems much more obvious.
    Yes, considered posting in that thread for that reason.

This has been a great week for Imaginative Conservative articles.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, considered posting in that thread for that reason.

This has been a great week for Imaginative Conservative articles.
    Why I never visit that site...I don't know. I have this weird thing about reading online. I just don't like it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Why I never visit that site...I don't know. I have this weird thing about reading online. I just don't like it.
    They're fairly short essays. Print them out. Or wait for me to post the next excerpt.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They're fairly short essays. Print them out. Or wait for me to post the next excerpt.
    That was an option at work. I don't have a printer here. I don't really need one right now but I guess if this turns into a more or less permanent thing (and it might) I'll buy one.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread