Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    At this point it is very safe to say the hard left are not Americans. They are foreign invaders, figuratively, seeking to fundamentally transform the United States into a cradle to grave welfare hellhole. Following their messiah, The One. Obama.
    Obama is rather a moderate. I'd say, the above is partially true, but who they are following is their two messiahs, Bernie Sanders and AOC. I can't stand either one. Their platforms are way more radical than anything Obama has ever proposed (and ended up not even acting on 98% of it anyway).
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-31-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Do you know when the SOCTUS confirmation process because partisan and acrimonious? It was the Bork confirmation hearing. Do you know who led the opposition against Judge Bork?

Joe Biden.

Joe Biden Was Behind The Robert Bork Nomination Smear

So for anyone who thinks the SCOTUS nomination process is broken, you can thank Joe.
    It's somewhat of a good point. Still, I don't really pay a lot of attention to who started what, lest we think like kids in elementary school recess: "you did if first" "no, you did." Because I always subscribe to the notion that two wrongs don't make a right.

Now, see, isn't a conservative, someone who greatly values the Constitution? Do you remember why Biden opposed Bork? What Biden (and many others) highlighted at the time is that the Constitution stands for rights for liberty and privacy and Bork was opposed to those ideas. Not to forget, another thing that derailed Bork was his role in the Nixon Saturday Night Massacre which disgusted many Republicans. If you remember it, Republicans were also ready to impeach Nixon, which is why he resigned before it happened. So, this wasn't simply a Biden issue, as shown in the final score, when Bork gathered only 42 votes with 6 Republican senators voting against him, and 2 Democratic senators voting for him.

Was this strictly an issue of party? No, if you look at what happened next: Reagan then nominated Anthony Kennedy, and do you remember what the score was, then? 97 to 0. To 0! So, if the Dems at the time just wanted to oppose a Reagan nominee, would they have massively voted for Reagan's next nominee? (I mean, not next next; there was another one but that judge withdrew himself from consideration).

So, it seems like the opposition to Bork was based on Bork's ideas and actions, not based on pure partisanship hatred.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,537x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    It's somewhat of a good point. Still, I don't really pay a lot of attention to who started what, lest we think like kids in elementary school recess: "you did if first" "no, you did." Because I always subscribe to the notion that two wrongs don't make a right.

Now, see, isn't a conservative, someone who greatly values the Constitution? Do you remember why Biden opposed Bork? What Biden (and many others) highlighted at the time is that the Constitution stands for rights for liberty and privacy and Bork was opposed to those ideas. Not to forget, another thing that derailed Bork was his role in the Nixon Saturday Night Massacre which disgusted many Republicans. If you remember it, Republicans were also ready to impeach Nixon, which is why he resigned before it happened. So, this wasn't simply a Biden issue, as shown in the final score, when Bork gathered only 42 votes with 6 Republican senators voting against him, and 2 Democratic senators voting for him.

Was this strictly an issue of party? No, if you look at what happened next: Reagan then nominated Anthony Kennedy, and do you remember what the score was, then? 97 to 0. To 0! So, if the Dems at the time just wanted to oppose a Reagan nominee, would they have massively voted for Reagan's next nominee? (I mean, not next next; there was another one but that judge withdrew himself from consideration).

So, it seems like the opposition to Bork was based on Bork's ideas and actions, not based on pure partisanship hatred.
    Bork was an originalist. I wouldn't pay much attention to what the hard left and the "media," sorry to repeat myself, says about him.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    You mean the liberal reinterpretation?

No I mean Trump fanning the flames with incendiary comments.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    like............you and Hilary aren't?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (05-31-2020)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I always subscribe to the notion that two wrongs don't make a right.
    Well, there goes the need for a revolution against Great Britain right out the window. Maybe we shouldn't have fought back...........with violence and subterfuge.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,409
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,215x in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    LOL, yes, Trump is always responsible for people that want an excuse to loot and burn buildings.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-01-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Well, there goes the need for a revolution against Great Britain right out the window. Maybe we shouldn't have fought back...........with violence and subterfuge.
    No, obviously my use of a simple saying didn't intend to go as far as you propose. The "two wrongs don't make a right" is something I often say when people use the "But Trump" or "But Obama" or "But Hillary" or "But Bush" defenses, and similar. Like I said, I dislike both major parties. I do not excuse the bad behavior of one of the parties, because the other party has also engaged in bad behavior. That is a simple notion. No need to extrapolate like you are doing now.

Like I showed above, regretfully both parties have engaged in systematic opposition of Supreme Court nominees by the president of the opposing party regardless of merit, contrary to the previous practice of going by merit, and overwhelmingly confirming a nominee with bipartisan support. It is wrong when the GOP does it (going party rather than going merit), and it is wrong when the Dems do it, too.

And saying "Biden started it" is not accurate because at the time, Bork's rejection was bipartisan, and the next nominee got confirmed with a 97-0 vote. So, the issue was with Bork's ideas and actions, the issue was not simply trying to oppose the other party's nominee - otherwise, why was the next one confirmed with a complete majority (except for three senators who were absent at the time, two out of town, and one sick)? The 97-0 confirmation showed that there was no animosity between the parties at the time, like we see today, which is the point I was originally making.
    Last edited by CenterField; 06-01-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 1,595
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,131x in 28,525 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obama is rather a moderate. I'd say, the above is partially true, but who they are following is their two messiahs, Bernie Sanders and AOC. I can't stand either one. Their platforms are way more radical than anything Obama has ever proposed (and ended up not even acting on 98% of it anyway).
    Obama was not really a moderate. He just understood that you can't take to big of a bite without starting a fight. He has moved further left after leaving office. He is not a Bernie Sanders though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-02-2020)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 1,595
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,131x in 28,525 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to think that only leftists are responsible for the divisiveness. Both sides are to blame, clearly. Remember GOP's complete obstructionism of Obama? It was almost as bad as the Dem's antagonism towards Trump (granted, the GOP didn't try to impeach Obama but I guess they would have tried, if Obama had given them an opportunity, since their animosity towards him was very similar to the one the Dems display towards Trump). And while the Dems made a circus of Kavanaugh's confirmation hearing, the Repubs didn't even allow confirmation hearings for Merrick Garland. So, it's really not just one side. There is a reason why I dislike both major parties and prefer to remain unaffiliated. Both parties are a disgrace. Another example: both parties posture a lot about it, but neither party really wants to fix the problem of illegal immigration. When a bipartisan initiative was proposed (including McCain and Rubio from the GOP side), both parties shut it down.

Like in disagreements between two members of a couple involved in a bitter divorce, it is NEVER 100% just the fault of one party and 0% the other one. There's just no such thing. In the past both parties respectfully opposed each other but kept the eyes on the good of the American people and the advancement of the nation. These days, each party's major objective is to screw the other one, and the nation be damned.
    It is interesting what you say about Merrick Garland. Do you remember the ruler that McConnell used to deny the nomination?

It was called "The Biden Rule"

Biden created the rule to state he would deny Bush a vote on any SCOTUS judges in the last year of his term.
    The Biden Rule was applied against Merrick Garland.

But don't get me wrong. I am Tea Party. McConnell, Rubio, Graham, Romney... are our baggage from the neocon rule over our party. We would love to get rid of them but we just cannot risk the seat until our margin is comfortable enough.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-02-2020)

+ Reply to Thread