Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 350x in 286 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usaf81 View Post
    LOL The state of MN. still hasn't released his criminal History in MN. Even more they havn't come out and said he has none.

IF he was buying cartons of cigarettes then he was going to sell them to buy drugs with. You'd be surprised how lucrative selling single cigarettes can be. It can keep you high for days if you have a few cartons to unload. Fentanyl laced junk is cheap. BTW passing phony money is very common especially at gas stations and 7-11 type stores where theres a lot of traffic and employees are often very busy at the counter Other countries have flooded America with good looking phony money and its a big money maker for gangs. North Korea and China have been involved in it.
    All entirely irrelevant to what happened. None of it justifies the guy being killed by law enforcement when already subdued and handcuffed.

I always wondered how these 2nd opinion examiners are paid? I can't remember one that agreed with the original examiners findings in a high profile case.
    The second opinion medical examiners get paid for their professional time, as they should, like the county medical examiner gets paid for his professional time through his salary. Flying in, conducting a full autopsy, analyzing the findings, typing up a report, giving expert testimony in court is time-consuming hard work, and needs to be appropriately compensated.

Sure, it's always tempting to pull the "hired gun" charge, but expert testimony is a needed part of our justice system and someone needs to do it, and it is perfectly fine for those professionals to be paid. They are not running a charitable organization. Still, it shouldn't be automatically assumed that the paid expert testimony (generally, except for rare pro bono work, there is no other kind) will be tainted and fake. People do have professional standards and they respond to their state medical board and specialty board, and they have a reputation to take care of.

Besides, Forensic Pathology is a fairly exact science. If a medical examiner talks about findings in the alveoli of a person suspected of having died of asphyxia (such as alveolar hemorrhage and alveolar collapse), or the macroscopic and microscopic changes in the heart of a person with hypertensive cardiomyopathy, it's not like these things can be faked. They either are there, or they aren't, and they can be photographed (both macroscopically and microscopically), weighed and measured (as in, a hypertrophic heart will have thicker walls, weigh more, and have hypertrophic muscle fibers in microscopy).

So, don't assume that when a paid expert says "I see evidence of asphyxia and here is what it is" or "I do not see evidence of cardiac pathology and here is what is missing" the expert is lying because he is a "hired gun."

By the way, the second opinion is not that different from the first one, in what matters. The first one did say that the death was caused by cardiopulmonary arrest in the context of neck compression, and called it a homicide.

None of this matters I guess, they are going to hang those guys either way no matter what happened.
    I think we all know perfectly well what happened, from the video clips and from BOTH autopsies.
    Last edited by CenterField; 06-03-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,207x in 3,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    That's fair. So he was worse than I thought. Regardless, his prior criminal history and even the recent criminal activity are in no way, shape, or form, justification for what happened next.

Again, all of the above pales in comparison with murdering in cold blood 8 people in a church by that white supremacist... however, that killer wasn't roughed up. And people don't see the double standard???
    Thats silly. It was 9, not 8
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registered
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I think they were charged with abetting. And the knee cop got bumped from murder 3 to murder 2.
    Peter, in your legal opinion, is it justified?
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Thats silly. It was 9, not 8
    LOL (although I feel a bit self-conscious about LOL'ing these tragic events)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 89,180x in 59,718 Posts
    Mentioned
    2292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, in your legal opinion, is it justified?
    I would not charge 2nd degree if I were a prosecutor in Minnesota- based on what I know. Of course the prosecution could have evidence that they have not made public.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (06-03-2020)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,207x in 3,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL (although I feel a bit self-conscious about LOL'ing these tragic events)
    Cat-fucious say "one who play with cat expect to get scratched"

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not charge 2nd degree if I were a prosecutor in Minnesota- based on what I know. Of course the prosecution could have evidence that they have not made public.
    OK, thanks. If they don't have more evidence, it seems like a risky move by the prosecution. I'd say, better get a conviction on a charge that can be easily demonstrated, than let the guy walk on a hung jury if the charge is too ambitious.

If that happens... oh my. We'll be in for more riots, and more violent ones.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    testsubjectalpha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,873x in 1,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, the 3 extra minutes with knee on neck after George went limp stick is the kicker. I think Ellison can make that case as it shows an intent to kill. Notwithstanding a lack of publicly available information.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,870x in 3,233 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks. If they don't have more evidence, it seems like a risky move by the prosecution. I'd say, better get a conviction on a charge that can be easily demonstrated, than let the guy walk on a hung jury if the charge is too ambitious.

If that happens... oh my. We'll be in for more riots, and more violent ones.
    They added 2nd according to the charging documents so 3rd is still on. The reason that I now understand is that they could not charge the other three with only a 3rd so the 2nd allows them to charge the other three. The 2nd will be hard to prove intent and the reason he was charged with 3rd in the first place.

The prosecution will probably not attempt to prove 2nd.
    So far, the only ACTUAL legitimate race crime of 2020 was taking a woman off a bottle of syrup because she was black.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, this article says that some experts deem the 2nd degree murder in this case to be appropriate because in this case it seems to use a sort of loophole in qualifying it as without intent to kill... but still 2nd degree as the death was derived from a purposeful felony, that of assaulting Floyd. They also say it is easier to proof (presumably because the depraved indifference in murder 3 is more subjective?).

Complicated, for me. You'll probably make better sense of it, and clarify it for us.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/upgraded-...223845264.html

So, if all three charges stand, 2nd degree murder "without intent", 3rd degree murder, and 2nd degree manslaughter, will the jury be given the option of convicting the officer on either one of the three, two of them, all three, or neither?

And it does seem very harsh on the other 3 officers, that the charge of abetting would result for each of them in the exact same sentence, if Chauvin is convicted.

I hope at least in sentencing there would be some reduction because they weren't the ones who actually murdered Floyd. Is it possible, or is it mandatory to impose the same sentence to the ones abetting the murder?

+ Reply to Thread