Members banned from this thread: RichardMZhlubb

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Why this place is so screwed up.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,539
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    testsubjectalpha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,168x in 6,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems you are debating with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Haha, but see, that is rather a humble position of mine. I have many guesses... and a few certainties. It's best this way, no? When I say, a guess, I mean that I'm not trying to pass my speculative opinion as fact. I am aware that I can't be sure of the factual veracity of my hypotheses. But it is entertaining to think about it and express what one speculates might be more likely to be factual. After all, that's what we are here for, no? To debate politics...

In the future, if more information comes in and it is solid and irrefutable, two things might happen: the new information might disprove my guess, and I will have no problem saying "I guessed wrongly" or it might prove it, in which case I'd cross out that thought from the guess column, and allocate it to the certainty column.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectalpha View Post
    Bones, you mean because China let 3 million people fly out of Hubei Province all over the world after they knew they had a problem while the WHO said nothing to see here? Meanwhile China restricted travel out of Hubei Province to other destinations in China. Now China is laughing at the world, we hoarded the world's supply of PPE because we make it all. Reminds me of Cheech and Chong song.

Remind me again, why have 40 million Americans been laid off? Ping chee ouw. As a side note, 'continuing' unemployment claims are in the 20 million range. So the media is jacking the severity level up falsely and regurgitating a falsehood daily. All of them. By no means good either way you look at it as we all know businesses are still shut down (interesting Mayors and Govna's have not shut down protestor gatherings of more than 10 people...hmmm...).
    The last phrase is a very interesting and valid point. I hadn't thought of it this way and you are absolutely right.

The first few phrases are very valid too.

I remember reading that 400,000 passengers got here from China in those few weeks... no wonder we got such a bad multi-centered outbreak.

By the way, people who blame Trump for the outbreak are being unfair. No other country in the world was able to stop this virus from getting in (I guess there is one exception, a small island nation, maybe Vanuatu if I recall correctly, entirely closed their borders and therefore had no cases). This virus is just too infectious (with a R0 of up to 5.7 which is not as bad as measle's but much worse than the flu's) and the fact that it can be transmitted by asymptomatic people makes it virtually impossible to contain.

So, while China and the WHO were minimizing the situation, would it really be feasible for Trump to close all borders and quarantine all the MILLIONS of people arriving to the US by plane? Do you know how many people arrive yearly here? 259 million. 21 million per month. So, how would we test at the border and quarantine everybody, in those four weeks when things were already spreading but nobody was aware???

Could Trump have acted a bit earlier? Yeah, I suppose so. But most likely, the outbreak would still have been about the same, just delayed by a few weeks.

So, no, to suppose that Trump is responsible for the outbreak is preposterous.

This said, I do think we could have responded better to it. In certain ways we did well. We flattened the curve and did not allow the healthcare system to be overwhelmed. Ventilators were sufficient after all - I'm not aware of a single case of an American who needed a ventilator but couldn't find one. Trump did send navy hospital ships to hot spots. They ended up vastly underused. He did use executive power to force reluctant GE to make more ventilators.

In other ways, though, we didn't do so well. PPE was irregularly distributed. The lockdown was chaotic and heterogeneous, and ended up not being very useful, and the way we engaged in stimulus wasn't very efficient (for example, we engaged in direct checks to the population and loans to small and large businesses, instead of simply massively supporting payroll like other countries did - such as France - and ended up with much smaller unemployment than ours). Testing was quite messy especially at first. The White House was jumping all over the place at one point, recommending lockdowns and suggesting draconian measures before reopening, and the next day tossing those plans and talking about liberating states (literally the next day), then a week later bringing back those same plans. Remember, Trump said Georgia was opening up too soon... then encouraged it. There was a lot of flip-flopping for example about wearing masks, and about promoting treatments that ended up presenting low efficacy and high risks.

What I resent most is not any responsibility for the outbreak itself. Claims that "Trump allowed the death of 105,000 Americans" are hyperbolic and so tainted by partisan politics that they become laughable. What I do resent is the chaotic leadership.

I think we could have had more steady guidance, clearer parameters, and we could have done what Spain did, for example. They had a very tightly organized lockdown, relatively short, and they isolated the mildly sick not even at home but actually in hotels that they adapted for that (so that they would not contaminate their own families), they protected payroll, enforced the lockdown homogeneously, then licked the virus and opened up again, and today Spain boasts several days of 1 or zero daily deaths.

South Korea did a lot of contact tracing and quarantine, and sequestered very strictly their elderly, ending up with a case-fatality ratio much smaller than other country's. And so on, there were other countries that did way better than we did. Monte$#@! [uh, what? Why does the software censor the name of a Balkan country, the one between Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina???] now has zero cases and has declared that the virus was extinguished in their country.

Of course, our country is much bigger and more populous and it has a lot more border traffic, so it wouldn't be as easy for us to do as well as some smaller countries. We also have a cultural factor, here. Americans are by nature rebellious and not inclined to follow governmental advice.

The bottom line is that our bad luck in getting injected with this virus in multiple entry points before we could really do something about it, which is nobody's fault, got worsened by a quite chaotic response (despite some successes that I mentioned above) and by our cultural traits. This has resulted in us getting a double whammy: we are not only the worst hit country (4% of the world's population, 30% of the world's deaths) but we also destroyed our economy to a larger degree than most other countries did.
    Last edited by CenterField; 06-02-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems you are debating with yourself.
    Maybe so.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,539
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    testsubjectalpha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,168x in 6,927 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who destroyed our economy over a little nothing out of Wuhan? Gretchen, Andrew, Wolf, Newsom...
    hmmm. China?

Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    The last phrase is a very interesting and valid point. I hadn't thought of it this way and you are absolutely right.

The first few phrases are very valid too.

I remember reading that 400,000 passengers got here from China in those few weeks... no wonder we got such a bad multi-centered outbreak.

By the way, people who blame Trump for the outbreak are being unfair. No other country in the world was able to stop this virus from getting in (I guess there is one exception, a small island nation, maybe Vanuatu if I recall correctly, entirely closed their borders and therefore had no cases). This virus is just too infectious (with a R0 of up to 5.7 which is not as bad as measle's but much worse than the flu's) and the fact that it can be transmitted by asymptomatic people makes it virtually impossible to contain.

So, while China and the WHO were minimizing the situation, would it really be feasible for Trump to close all borders and quarantine all the MILLIONS of people arriving to the US by plane? Do you know how many people arrive yearly here? 259 million. 21 million per month. So, how would we test at the border and quarantine everybody, in those four weeks when things were already spreading but nobody was aware???

Could Trump have acted a bit earlier? Yeah, I suppose so. But most likely, the outbreak would still have been about the same, just delayed by a few weeks.

So, no, to suppose that Trump is responsible for the outbreak is preposterous.

This said, I do think we could have responded better to it. In certain ways we did well. We flattened the curve and did not allow the healthcare system to be overwhelmed. Ventilators were sufficient after all - I'm not aware of a single case of an American who needed a ventilator but couldn't find one. Trump did send navy hospital ships to hot spots. They ended up vastly underused. He did use executive power to force reluctant GE to make more ventilators.

In other ways, though, we didn't do so well. PPE was irregularly distributed. The lockdown was chaotic and heterogeneous, and ended up not being very useful, and the way we engaged in stimulus wasn't very efficient (for example, we engaged in direct checks to the population and loans to small and large businesses, instead of simply massively supporting payroll like other countries did - such as France - and ended up with much smaller unemployment than ours). Testing was quite messy especially at first. The White House was jumping all over the place at one point, recommending lockdowns and suggesting draconian measures before reopening, and the next day tossing those plans and talking about liberating states (literally the next day), then a week later bringing back those same plans. Remember, Trump said Georgia was opening up too soon... then encouraged it. There was a lot of flip-flopping for example about wearing masks, and about promoting treatments that ended up presenting low efficacy and high risks.

What I resent most is not any responsibility for the outbreak itself. Claims that "Trump allowed the death of 105,000 Americans" are hyperbolic and so tainted by partisan politics that they become laughable. What I do resent is the chaotic leadership.

I think we could have had more steady guidance, clearer parameters, and we could have done what Spain did, for example. They had a very tightly organized lockdown, relatively short, and they isolated the mildly sick not even at home but actually in hotels that they adapted for that (so that they would not contaminate their own families), they protected payroll, enforced the lockdown homogeneously, then licked the virus and opened up again, and today Spain boasts several days of 1 or zero daily deaths.

South Korea did a lot of contact tracing and quarantine, and sequestered very strictly their elderly, ending up with a case-fatality ratio much smaller than other country's. And so on, there were other countries that did way better than we did. Monte$#@! [uh, what? Why does the software censor the name of a Balkan country, the one between Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina???] now has zero cases and has declared that the virus was extinguished in their country.

Of course, our country is much bigger and more populous and it has a lot more border traffic, so it wouldn't be as easy for us to do as well as some smaller countries. We also have a cultural factor, here. Americans are by nature rebellious and not inclined to follow governmental advice.

The bottom line is that our bad luck in getting injected with this virus in multiple entry points before we could really do something about it, which is nobody's fault, got worsened by a quite chaotic response (despite some successes that I mentioned above) and by our cultural traits. This has resulted in us getting a double whammy: we are not only the worst hit country (4% of the world's population, 30% of the world's deaths) but we also destroyed our economy to a larger degree than most other countries did.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to testsubjectalpha For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (06-04-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who destroyed our economy over a little nothing out of Wuhan? Gretchen, Andrew, Wolf, Newsom...
    hmmm. China?
    Yes, I do blame China. I do blame certain Democratic governors too, like I said in another post (and some Republican governors). But I don't give a pass to the Federal Government either. I think that nobody (among American politicians) is responsible for the virus being here, but we responded to it in a chaotic and damaging way, both at the Federal and State levels.

Just by looking at the stats: 4% of the world's population, 30% of the world's COVID-19 deaths, we can see that we didn't respond so well to this crisis. And we are the United States of America. We are the wealthiest and most advanced country in the entire planet. We are supposed to do better than that. I'm frankly disappointed in our leaders, from both parties.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    The destruction we are currently seeing is not very different from Kristallnacht. It was to create animosity against the Jews. The destruction we are seeing now is to create animosity against white society and capitalism.

BTW, if you were to actually give a reason why you think I am off the charts it would give you more credibility. As it is, you have none.
    I am not the only one making this comparison
    https://i.imgur.com/ryZgiEZ.gif

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,426x in 54,993 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I am not the only one making this comparison
    https://i.imgur.com/ryZgiEZ.gif
    Put that image URL in [img]https://i.imgur.com/ryZgiEZ.gif[/img] tags.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (06-04-2020),stjames1_53 (06-04-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-04-2020)

+ Reply to Thread