User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Special Operations Command wants to put all mission data in a single pane of glass

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,559x in 94,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Operations Command wants to put all mission data in a single pane of glass

Special Operations Command wants to put all mission data in a single pane of glass

Now this is some cool sci-fi stuff. See the pic at the top of the article. I have spent time in a TOC during combat operations and this will help immensely.

Special Operations Command wants all of the data operators need presented on a single pane of glass, working as a connecting step between the war fighter and the Department of Defense’s overarching Joint All-Domain Command and Control effort.

According to SOCOM Acquisition Executive James Smith, the organization is starting a new program of record called “Mission Command” that will layer all the data commanders need into a single pane of glass.

“I know when I was in Germany, when I was a battle captain in the brigade, tactical operations center, we still had paper maps and we had a sheet of acetate,” explained Smith during a virtual Special Operations Forces Industry Conference presentation May 12. “One had the enemy picture on it, another sheet of acetate had the blue force picture on it, and another sheet of acetate had the engineering overlay, and the fires overlay and the air overlay. You get it, right? And by the time you were done looking through all that scratchy acetate with all the stickies and pencil marks on it, you had no idea what was going on. You couldn’t even see the map anymore.”

Instead of layers upon layers of acetate or using multiple displays, SOCOM wants all those pictures - as well as data unique to Special Operations Forces like socioeconomics and influence layers - presented in a single visualization. Mission Command will enable a collaborative command and control that will fuse Special Operations Forces’ (SOF) joint function activities.

“That’s where we’re trying to get to with Mission Command, is to give a single pane of glass that gives what we normally would have called the enemy situation, the friendly situation, partner information, engineer, aviation, fires, etc. All of that,” said Smith. “But then to put those SOF-peculiar layers on top of it that I would consider influence operations and things of that nature.”
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets hope the enemy can't hack into it.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,559x in 94,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Lets hope the enemy can't hack into it.
    I hope that is worked into the specifications.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MMC (06-01-2020)

+ Reply to Thread