Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I'm not sure why liberals are so outraged over Trump's visit to the church which was vandalized during the riots? That would have been reported as a dramatic call for healing and unity had Obama done that.
    Call for unity and healing, really?

Have you looked at the numerous pics of the police action that preceded the photo op? What exactly is your definition of a call for unity and healing? Has Trump ever issued a call for unity and healing in these troubled times? That I've heard, it's been only more fanning of the flames.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

John Galt (06-06-2020),Leanne778 (06-06-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Call for unity and healing, really?

Have you looked at the numerous pics of the police action that preceded the photo op? What exactly is your definition of a call for unity and healing? Has Trump ever issued a call for unity and healing in these troubled times? That I've heard, it's been only more fanning of the flames.
    Yes, if Obama had done the same thing, it would have been considered an true act of leadership.

Actually your response to my comment wasn’t well thought out.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if Obama had done the same thing, it would have been considered an true act of leadership.

Actually your response to my comment wasn’t well thought out.
    I mean, it's not just what you say; it's also what you do. Trump was saying "I love peaceful protesters" when a few yards from him, peaceful protesters were being treated like in the pictures I posted here:

http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...=1#post2883007

Actions count more than words...

But then, going on the words, no, Trump hasn't been exactly calling for healing and unity, has he? If he has and I missed it, please kindly provide me with the quotes/links. He actually, instead, said "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" or something like this (I may be paraphrasing from memory). Don't read me wrong, I am definitely against the looting and I think that looters must be arrested and charged with felonies... but I was unaware that the proper punishment for looting under our laws is to be shot on sight.

In my relatively long life, I don't really recall other presidents advocating for shooting American citizens who are not shooting back but are engaged in other felonies. Haven't you heard of something called due process? Yes, by all means, arrest the looters, charge them with felonies, take them to court (with the right to be represented by a defense counsel), convict them, and give them prison sentences.

But don't shoot them on sight. That's not in our laws. That's stuff for Banana Republics.

So, yes, the comment was disgraceful and is far from asking for healing and unity.

The correct comment would have been "when the looting starts, the arresting and charging with felonies start."

Do you disagree?

OK, I may be veering a bit off-topic here. You are saying that if Obama had posed for a photo op holding a Bible in front of the burned church, it would be seen as an act of leadership... the problem is that you are skipping what happened right before. Would Obama still be praised for an act of leadership, if in order to get to the church and pose for the photo op, under his orders the police had violently repressed a bunch of right-wing activists protesting (peacefully) in the vicinity?

I doubt it. I'm quite sure that right-wingers would be screaming bloody murder.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (06-06-2020)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,885
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    One may certainly make the case that the Bible photo op was a bad idea; but that should not mean that Ivanka Trump is automatically unfit to deliver this speech.

Let us be candid, shall we?

The left wants to erase from our national consciousness all things related to Donald Trump--including his daughter.

It wants to treat him--and, again, all that is related to him--as nothing more than a quick aberration in our nation's history.

Donald Trump is to be treated as a mere virus--the more quickly that we can get rid of him, the better--and all who are related to him should get the same treatment.

Is it not fair to conclude that this is really at the heart of the matter?
    It goes beyond that. The goal is to destroy him and his family to such an extent that no one will want to try to free Americans from big government again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-07-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,427
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RichardMZhlubb's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,562x in 3,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    That is insanity.
    No, what’s insanity is that she and her husband have positions of real responsibility in the White House, notwithstanding their complete lack of qualifications and competence. Hopefully, once this nightmare is over, the name Trump will be so toxic that no one will want to have any association with any of them.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardMZhlubb For This Useful Post:

John Galt (06-06-2020),Leanne778 (06-06-2020),Trish (06-07-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    No, what’s insanity is that she and her husband have positions of real responsibility in the White House, notwithstanding their complete lack of qualifications and competence. Hopefully, once this nightmare is over, the name Trump will be so toxic that no one will want to have any association with any of them.
    They seem to be doing just fine.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,512x in 16,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMZhlubb View Post
    What "nightmare" and why would the Trump name be "toxic"?
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,388
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    stephenpe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,777x in 1,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this guy could explain DT toxicity to you. He was on the inside for awhile. I know his background doesn't come close to reality star and real estate developer but he didnt have the foot problems some folks get when Uncle Sam called.

James Norman Mattis is a retired United States Marine Corps general who served as the 26th US secretary of defense from January 2017 through January 2019. During his 44 years in the Marine Corps, he commanded forces in the Persian Gulf War, the War in Afghanistan, and the Iraq War. WikipediaBorn: September 8, 1950 (age 69 years), Pullman, WA

Height: 5′ 9″

Awards: Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal
    I am sure he is a traitor by now in Tweeterville.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenpe For This Useful Post:

CenterField (06-06-2020),Trish (06-07-2020)

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Leanne778's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,046 Posts
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why liberals are so outraged over Trump's visit to the church which was vandalized during the riots? That would have been reported as a dramatic call for healing and unity had Obama done that.

But at least now, Trump has motivated Democrat pols like Cuomo and Pelosi to start quoting bible verses.
    He had no interest in that church. It was a photo op, while the military was shooting tear gas at peaceful protesters. I guess I gotta tell you everything.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leanne778 For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (06-07-2020)

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Leanne778's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,046 Posts
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    One may certainly make the case that the Bible photo op was a bad idea; but that should not mean that Ivanka Trump is automatically unfit to deliver this speech.

Let us be candid, shall we?

The left wants to erase from our national consciousness all things related to Donald Trump--including his daughter.

It wants to treat him--and, again, all that is related to him--as nothing more than a quick aberration in our nation's history.

Donald Trump is to be treated as a mere virus--the more quickly that we can get rid of him, the better--and all who are related to him should get the same treatment.

Is it not fair to conclude that this is really at the heart of the matter?
    Au contraire...it was Ivanka's idea to do the photo op. She carried the bible in her $1,540 handbag. Yes, it must be tough to be his daughter but technically it wasn't her fault it was her father's fault. There was far too much criticism about how he is handling these protests, and being she is his daughter, she too is held accountable. Not fair I know, but may be the photo op was a bit too much right?

We owe it to our students to stand up for the right thing when and where we can,” Jennifer Ray, associate professor of photo media at Wichita State University, wrote to school administrators, according to The Wichita Eagle. “To our students of color, and to me, inviting Ivanka Trump to speak right now sends the message that WSU Tech does not take diversity seriously.”

+ Reply to Thread