Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,118x in 28,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Just for a moment that the universe spun around and power changed but bigotry prejudice bias and hatred continued. Imagine.

https://vimeo.com/427286071

"...One did not have to be very bright to realize how little one could do to change one’s situation; one did not have to be abnormally sensitive to be worn down to a cutting edge by the incessant and gratuitous humiliation and danger one encountered every working day, all day long. The humiliation did not apply merely to working days, or workers; I was thirteen and was crossing Fifth Avenue on my way to the Forty-second Street library, and the cop in the middle of the street muttered as I passed him, “Why don’t you $#@!s stay uptown where you belong?” When I was ten, and didn’t look, certainly, any older, two policemen amused themselves with me by frisking me, making comic (and terrifying) speculations concerning my ancestry and probable sexual prowess, and, for good measure, leaving me flat on my back in one of Harlem’s empty lots. Just before and then during the Second World War, many of my friends fled into the service, all to be changed there, and rarely for the better, many to be ruined, and many to die. Others fled to other states and cities—that is, to other ghettos. Some went on wine or whiskey or the needle, and are still on it. And others, like me, fled into the church." James Baldwin

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/19...ion-in-my-mind

"To be a $#@! in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time." James A. Baldwin
    Really? I was one of about 20 white kids within a mile of where I grew up. I think I know about racism. If you try to tell me that blacks and Hispanics cannot be racist then I'll just laugh at you.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,503x in 94,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Really? I was one of about 20 white kids within a mile of where I grew up. I think I know about racism. If you try to tell me that blacks and Hispanics cannot be racist then I'll just laugh at you.
    Good luck getting him to look in on a thread he started. Even a tPF thread. He is a drive bye poster- troll.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    Of course all groups can be racist.

But the degree of racism found in major institutions (criminal justice, education, healthcare, etc.), varies from group to group and that is really what matters - an institutional failure to check personal/societal and historic prejudices.

The absolute lack of awareness is more startling to me that outright racism. But then, I think most racism is the result of ignorance rather than actual hate.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,494x in 55,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Of course all groups can be racist.

But the degree of racism found in major institutions (criminal justice, education, healthcare, etc.), varies from group to group and that is really what matters - an institutional failure to check personal/societal and historic prejudices.

The absolute lack of awareness is more startling to me that outright racism. But then, I think most racism is the result of ignorance rather than actual hate.

Now that's an interesting point. Who, in another thread, cited studies showing black profiled, etc. But could never tie that causally to systemic racism, and the numbers, while disproportionate, were not all that significant and not enough to rise above individual racism.

Here you seem to hint at a degree of racism in institutions (criminal justice, education, healthcare, etc.) that demonstrates systemic racism to you that you find hard to believe others fail to see.

Now degree here would have to mean some percentage of individuals comprising an institution. But you don't specify what degree. Nor the depth of degree. By depth, I mean that individual racism would have to not only exist across a very wide spectrum of individuals but also from top to bottom throughout an institution. I just have serious doubts racism is that widespread or deep.

Here's a video of some police chief discussing systemic racism, well, according to the misleading title they do, and it may have been that CBS wanted to make that narrative point, but they don't actually discuss that. In the video, systemic racism is only mentioned once in quick passing by Deck-Brown, but the real discussion here that she and the other chiefs focus on is the need for systemic change in addressing police misconduct and even brutality that is too often ignored because officers are afraid to report each other with whom they have to work and depend on, and also because they are protected by associations/unions. All four chiefs stand with the protesters, one taking a knee and one marching with them, but other than the one off-hand and passed-by mention of systemic racism, what they're talking about instead is a more general institutional problem that they all see a need for help with. The more general issues are not a racial one, and, getting back to degrees, the off-hand mention of systemic mention in a 7 minute plus discussion hardly demonstrates much of any degree at all at least among these protest-sympathetic chiefs.

So what is this degree, what is its width and what is its depth, that you seem to see, to call it systemic racism, that you're startled at why others' shameful absolute lack of awareness?

The video:

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,795x in 13,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's like Covid-19, it really doesn't affect me much, hasn't changed my life. Should I be upset a slave trader statue was torn down in the mistaken belief pyramids were built by slaves? Or that Starbucks, where I never go, allows BLM-bling? Or Band-aid goes color? Or that BLM asks for $10 from every white protester within Seattle's Capitol Hill?
    Actually, I am soooo glad the whole bandaid thing is getting straightened around. Now, maybe we can address secondary issues, like, you know, the murder of black people in the double digits every weekend in Chicago. Because, you know, black lives matter, and stuff.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-14-2020),Cotton1 (06-14-2020),Peter1469 (06-15-2020)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Actually, I am soooo glad the whole bandaid thing is getting straightened around. Now, maybe we can address secondary issues, like, you know, the murder of black people in the double digits every weekend in Chicago. Because, you know, black lives matter, and stuff.
    Lol...
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That what this former Navy officer rants about.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

countryboy (06-15-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,795x in 13,691 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That what this former Navy officer rants about.

If BLM actually cared about black lives, they would protest this $#@!. What a disgrace.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If BLM actually cared about black lives, they would protest this $#@!. What a disgrace.
    Agree. There seems to be a far greater degree of this than with the police. And yet the focus on the police is rather extreme. Here's a statement from BLM about the possibility of Diden naming Demings as running mate.

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG2CFl6fiMQ

Then again I hear tell BLM is not really on board with Biden, as most of us know Joe Biden Has No Business Lecturing Americans About Race.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's like Covid-19, it really doesn't affect me much, hasn't changed my life. Should I be upset a slave trader statue was torn down in the mistaken belief pyramids were built by slaves? Or that Starbucks, where I never go, allows BLM-bling? Or Band-aid goes color? Or that BLM asks for $10 from every white protester within Seattle's Capitol Hill?

Let me add to the list: GitHub to replace "master" with alternative term to avoid slavery references. Now you have to be a developer to understand this I suppose so let me explain. When you write code you store it in a repository that tracks changes. Usually what you do is you have a main set of code and then branches off it for changes that when accepted by the team get put back in the main. One system I use calls the main part the trunk. Github has always called it the master. It's the same if you were on a team working on a document where your changes are branches and when the team accepts them they become part of the master document. Blah blah blah. nobody even gives it a thought.

Apparently that now smacks of racism! So master will be blacklisted--oops, I need a bandaid.

Yea, this will solve all the problems.

+ Reply to Thread