User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class, Not Race, Divides America ......

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class, Not Race, Divides America ......

By Victor Davis Hanson • June 14, 2020115 Comments | in Great America Great America, Top Center

It is the truth that the white progressive dares not to utter.

Nothing is stranger in these tense days than the monotony of the inexact and non-descriptive mantra of “white privilege” and “white solidarity”—as if there is some monolithic white bloc, or as if class matters not at all. In truth, the clingers, the deplorables, the irredeemables, and Joe Biden’s “dregs” have very little in common with those who so libel them, but superficially share supposedly omnipotent and similar skin color.

In the past, we saw such tensions among so-called whites in CNN’s reporting of the allegedly toothless rubes at Trump rallies, in the Strzok-Page text trove about Walmart’s smelly patrons, in the callous coastal disregard for the five-decade wasting away of the American industrial heartland, in the permissible elite collective disparagement of Christian evangelicals, and in the anthropological curiosity about and condescension toward such exotic, but presumably backward, Duck Dynasty and NASCAR peoples.

As a result, we have reached the surreal point at which the nation’s privileged whites on campuses such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, in the top echelon of politics, and the corporate and entertainment worlds, all deplore in the abstract something they call “white privilege” in others who have never really experienced it.

Of course, whatever such a thing is, they possess it in abundance but give no hint they have any intention of giving it up other than rhetorically or through the medieval concept of hair-shirt penance and Twitter confessionals. On the other hand, they are furious that middle-class whites do not join their theatrics of bending the knee and offering abject apologies for original sins.

Progressive, affluent whites run most of the blue states that oversee the big blue cities who hire the liberal police chiefs and their unionized officers. So how strange it is for liberal elite white people to damn supposed white privilege for the logical sins of their own ideology and governance.

Little in Common Culturally and Socially
    Across the hollowed-out rust belt, in Appalachia, throughout California’s foothills and Central Valley, or in the rural South there are millions of white Americans who fail in terms of income, longevity, suicide rates, dependence on government assistance, and drug dependence statistically compared to nonwhite ethnic groups such as Punjabi immigrants, or Asian-Americans in general, and elite black and Latino minorities.

So they have little culturally or socially in common with the elites of predominantly white coastal corridors from Boston to Washington and La Jolla to Seattle. The indifference of one to the other is mutual. There is no shared concept of “It’s a white thing, you wouldn’t understand.” Again, the white underprivileged feel about the white privileged about the same as the latter feel about them. In that sense, the generic “white” means very little.

Class matters, not superficial commonalities of race. Lower-middle-class or poor whites are more likely to live among poorer minorities than are elite, high-income whites whose experience of the Other is often confined either to career contacts with wealthy minority professionals of like tastes, education, backgrounds, and values—or their asymmetrical brief conversations with their own gardeners, housekeepers, and nannies.

The white underclass lives, schools, and works among the supposed Other; the overclass not so much. As a result, in our increasingly polarized racial society, the white overclasses have constructed a psychological edifice to contextualize the paradox of their own de facto racial apartheid and segregation.

A great unexplored topic is the African-American disdain for the white elites who so easily are superficially obsequious, not out of authentic desire to be equals but to preen among one another of their condescending paternalism. Only in the irrational venom toward black conservatives, who warn of the white progressive elite, do we see the extent of the white elite liberal’s superciliousness.

Racial Demagoguery vs. Class Appeals
    One of the reasons that the Left and the Democratic Party feared and hated the Trump movement was its emphasis on class rather than race, a more fluid and potentially more dynamic appeal, and one with the potential to unite rather than divide those of different tribes.

Indeed, much of the left-wing focus on Trump’s supposed “racism” emerged in response to the fact that, unlike past Republican bogeymen such as Mitt Romney and despite his billions, Trump was not so easily caricatured as an elite grandee who felt uneasy among the nonwhite.

Whatever Trump was, he talked to blacks just as he talked to everyone else—same accent, same mannerism, same vocabulary. He was not going to feign a black patois and pander in the Joe Biden style of “Put y’all back in chains” or “You ain’t black,” or reinvent himself in Hillary Clinton fashion as a civil rights veteran possessed of a phony drawl, “I don’t feel no ways tired. I come too far . . . ” Think of the logic driving these white liberal elites: “Blacks cannot understand my good English, so I will descend into their poor grammar, diction, and syntax to feign ‘y’all’ and ‘ain’t’ and ‘no ways tired.’”

In the context of promoting real national healing or efforts to ensure a more equitable society, Americans need to understand something about many of the Antifa protestors in the streets; the professors at the barricades; the New York and Washington grandees; and the Pelosis, Schumers, and Bidens of the world. Their abstract lectures about “privilege,” public prostrations on their knees in the Capitol with Kente cloths, self-interested promises of additional billions of dollars for blue-city bureaucracies, and narcissistic virtue signaling with other superficial bumper stickers of the revolution condemning white anything or privilege something—all of it—amounts to nothing more than day jobs to be turned on at 9 a.m. and switched off at 5 p.m. The show means little to most of them except the otherwise necessary price for feeling good about doing even better in their own eyes.

Separatism Won’t Heal the Racial Divide

The racial divide will not be healed by black separatist tribalism. It will not be bridged by the white apartheid guilt of the well off. It certainly will not end by this absurd medievalism of affluent, sequestered, well-meaning, white progressives championing black causes in ways that are loud and public, but ultimately selfish.

The next time we hear a lecture about caring from a woke Yale professor, or a sermon on systematic racism from a CEO, or more Hollywood confessional video drivel, we should pause and politely ask, “But where do your children go to school? And why do you live where you live? And dine with whom you dine?” Then remember class, not race, is what divides America—the truth that the upscale white progressive dares not utter.....snip~

https://amgreatness.com/2020/06/14/c...vides-america/

Hanson nails it.....the Progressives shown for the disingenuous deviates they are.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (06-15-2020),Peter1469 (06-16-2020)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistics don’t support anything the dishonest press and lying liberals are saying.

The country is being divided on perceptions and feelings.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (06-15-2020),MMC (06-16-2020)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1971 I went to Fort Polk, Louisiana for Basic and AIT training.
    Being from a small country farm in a Dutch Christian Reformed community in western Michigan I had never even met a black african American person, ever. I'd seen some on TV but that was it.
    My first contact with African Americans in Basic introduced me to segregation. All the Black guys were in their own platoon, had their own barracks, their own phones booths, and even were served chow separately.
    This continued into AIT.

The segregation was not about class or any such thing. It was clearly about race.
    I was stunned and to this day still am.
    It was wrong but it was real.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BenjaminO For This Useful Post:

Safety (06-15-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    In 1971 I went to Fort Polk, Louisiana for Basic and AIT training.
    Being from a small country farm in a Dutch Christian Reformed community in western Michigan I had never even met a black african American person, ever. I'd seen some on TV but that was it.
    My first contact with African Americans in Basic introduced me to segregation. All the Black guys were in their own platoon, had their own barracks, their own phones booths, and even were served chow separately.
    This continued into AIT.

The segregation was not about class or any such thing. It was clearly about race.
    I was stunned and to this day still am.
    It was wrong but it was real.
    Northerners, almost all of who lived in communities that kept blacks out, had a knack for being stunned by the south at the time.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (06-15-2020),MMC (06-16-2020),texan (06-15-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Northerners, almost all of who lived in communities that kept blacks out, had a knack for being stunned by the south at the time.
    If African American people were kept out of the farm community I grew up in, I have no memory of being taught, shown, or led to believe that was so.
    Actually strict religious beliefs were the determiner rather than race or skin color or anything the standard for keeping people out back on the farm. Those little pockets of nationalities and religious beliefs are long gone.
    The segregation based only on skin color (actually being African American) to separate soldiers training in the Army was what stunned me. I had never experienced that before and thought it was wrong.
    I must agree the "south" stunned me probably as much as I stunned the "south" by my almost childish equal unbiased treatment of everyone.
    It was an eye opening experience.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If African American people were kept out of the farm community I grew up in, I have no memory of being taught, shown, or led to believe that was so.
    Actually strict religious beliefs were the determiner rather than race or skin color or anything the standard for keeping people out back on the farm. Those little pockets of nationalities and religious beliefs are long gone.
    The segregation based only on skin color (actually being African American) to separate soldiers training in the Army was what stunned me. I had never experienced that before and thought it was wrong.
    I must agree the "south" stunned me probably as much as I stunned the "south" by my almost childish equal unbiased treatment of everyone.
    Yawn. Your self righteous Bull$hit is getting old.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Um... segregation up north was and is based on race. Your little farming community wouldn't need to keep blacks out. Was the army your first experience away from the farm?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-17-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    Yawn. Your self righteous Bull$hit is getting old.
    I don't know. I'm starting to wonder about his frame of reference. Maybe he saw MS before he saw the rest of Michigan.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Um... segregation up north was and is based on race. Your little farming community wouldn't need to keep blacks out. Was the army your first experience away from the farm?
    Ummm, so as I said, I had no prior experience with segregation to the extent that I saw at Fort Polk in 1971.
    And other than family vacations in Michigan, what experience would a normal 18 year old have coming from a rural home?
    How much "experience" would you expect from an 18 year old in 1971?
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummm, so as I said, I had no prior experience with segregation to the extent that I saw at Fort Polk in 1971.
    And other than family vacations in Michigan, what experience would a normal 18 year old have coming from a rural home?
    How much "experience" would you expect from an 18 year old in 1971?
    So you saw little of your state and the segregated communities that comprisefd and still do. That's fine. It explains your impressions of MS.

BTW, the armed forces were desegregated almost 20 years before you were born. Perhaps you were mistaken?

~Alain de Benoist

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-17-2020),MMC (06-16-2020)

+ Reply to Thread