User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Diego - March 2021

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post San Diego - March 2021

Mrs. U and I are going on a 15-day Panama Canal Cruise in March. This assumes, of course, that we are safely able to do so. We're going to SD on Saturday or Sunday and cruise on Wednesday.

Any thoughts on where to stay? (Someone suggested: Hotel del Coronado)

Where to go? (Someone suggested on going to the Zoo, someone said that there were naval yards?)

Someone suggested going to Long Beach and staying a night on the Queen Mary.

Again, I think it's 50/50 at best at this point. I'm pretty stoked as I've never taken more than a week and a day off in 33 years practicing law.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-22-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,487x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zoo. There are state parks along the coast with trials. Beaches. Stay away from Dog beach (stinks).
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,670
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,786x in 3,865 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Mrs. U and I are going on a 15-day Panama Canal Cruise in March. This assumes, of course, that we are safely able to do so. We're going to SD on Saturday or Sunday and cruise on Wednesday.

Where to go? (Someone suggested on going to the Zoo, someone said that there were naval yards?)

Again, I think it's 50/50 at best at this point. I'm pretty stoked as I've never taken more than a week and a day off in 33 years practicing law.
    Peter is correct the zoo is world class. It is also cool to drive through the zoo on the highway. Just unusual.

San Diego is a very fun city. Long Beach is a pretty good drive I wouldn't go up there for that reason. Lots of cool places to stay. The first question is budget? I recommend one of the beach properties where you can walk out and build a fire.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-22-2020)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    Peter is correct the zoo is world class. It is also cool to drive through the zoo on the highway. Just unusual.

San Diego is a very fun city. Long Beach is a pretty good drive I wouldn't go up there for that reason. Lots of cool places to stay. The first question is budget? I recommend one of the beach properties where you can walk out and build a fire.
    Mrs. U doesn't believe in budgets. I still have my First Communion money.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

texan (06-22-2020)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,637
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,114x in 28,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hotel del Coronado is a good choice.

The Queen Mary is interesting in itself but there is nothing else there in Long Beach. Downtown Long Beach after dark is not all that safe.

Don't forget Torrey Pines and the lodge if the wife is a golfer or you are going with another golfing couple. Or La Jolla area just to the south.

Old Town in San Diego is the classic tourist spot with restaurants & small shops but I don't remember any good hotels in walking distance.

I actually prefer Laguna or Carlsbad when I am there because I like to be on the beach but also to be able to walk for almost anything I want.

Newport and Huntington Beach are classic California beaches with some nice hotels across the street from the beach and plenty of young things in bikinis to earn you some bruises from the wife. You are in a high traffic area.
    The entire coast from the north side of San Diego to the South side of Long Beach is great to visit and you won't go wrong, unless you do like I did and book a hotel near the water treatment facility.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-22-2020)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coronado is definitely awesome.

I'd pass on the Queen Mary. Extremely touristy... Way better places to stay along the cost then the Queen Mary. If you're going take a day North of San Diego but don't want to drive forever I would recommend Newport Beach. If you don't mind driving hit up Santa Monica.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (06-22-2020)

+ Reply to Thread