User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Political Correctness Mob Has Targeted The Masters Golf Tournament.....

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,930x in 55,565 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I like the way you just make up your own version of history and other people's thoughts, Tahu. It's cute - reminds me of when my own kids were very small.
    I have no ide what you're talking about. Of course, neither do you.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I always thought the name referenced the skill of the golfers who qualify to play.
    That's what I thought as well.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Following that train of thinking, then, shouldn't a university that used to bar admission to Black students and employment to Black faculty members refrain from calling their post-graduate studies a "Masters" program? If there's a difference in the two situations I'll confess I'm not seeing it.
    I don't think so, because in the case of degrees, a Master's refers to post graduate achievement. There is no implication of a owner and a subservient relationship. In the case of the Augusta National club's co-founder wanting to change their name, barring African-Americans from joining AND the comments made in regards to his intent on white golfers and black caddies, there appears to be a double ententre with his wanting to use Masters.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,464x in 36,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    That's what I thought as well.
    So does anyone with an IQ above 75.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,905
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,925x in 8,803 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    I don't think so, because in the case of degrees, a Master's refers to post graduate achievement. There is no implication of a owner and a subservient relationship. In the case of the Augusta National club's co-founder wanting to change their name, barring African-Americans from joining AND the comments made in regards to his intent on white golfers and black caddies, there appears to be a double ententre with his wanting to use Masters.
    While it's possible, I think it's unlikely, because the Masters in this case are not the members of the club, or the club owners, they are the invited golfers, many of whom would have been from other parts of the world and not necessarily sympathetic to the club's racist ideology. The white golfers and black caddies statement, which is really only attributed to Roberts, wasn't made at the time of the tournament name change. In fact, there is no actual record of him saying it. It has been likened to an urban myth - if he said it at all, he didn't say it in public and it doesn't make sense contextually, with regard to renaming the tournament.

Here's something from S.I. regarding the history of the renaming which was proposed in 1934, just two years after the club opened:

"Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, the founders of the event, originally named the tournament, The Augusta National Invitational Tournament. When Roberts proposed the name, The Masters, Jones objected, believing the name was too presumptuous. However, five years later, Jones relented and the name was officially changed. Beginning in 1940, the Masters was scheduled each year during the first full week in April."
    https://www.si.com/golf/2018/04/05/m...origin-history

I suspect that Jones thought it too presumptuous because they were a virtually unknown club at the time and would have been unlikely to attract "the best" competitive golfers.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 06-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moma Who gently lets it known that this is really $#@!ing stupid.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    While it's possible, I think it's unlikely, because the Masters in this case are not the members of the club, or the club owners, they are the invited golfers, many of whom would have been from other parts of the world and not necessarily sympathetic to the club's racist ideology. The white golfers and black caddies statement, which is really only attributed to Roberts, wasn't made at the time of the tournament name change. In fact, there is no actual record of him saying it. It has been likened to an urban myth - if he said it at all, he didn't say it in public and it doesn't make sense contextually, with regard to renaming the tournament.

Here's something from S.I. regarding the history of the renaming which was proposed in 1934, just two years after the club opened:

"Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, the founders of the event, originally named the tournament, The Augusta National Invitational Tournament. When Roberts proposed the name, The Masters, Jones objected, believing the name was too presumptuous. However, five years later, Jones relented and the name was officially changed. Beginning in 1940, the Masters was scheduled each year during the first full week in April."
    https://www.si.com/golf/2018/04/05/m...origin-history

I suspect that Jones thought it too presumptuous because they were a virtually unknown club at the time and would have been unlikely to attract "the best" competitive golfers.
    I understand what you are pointing out, however, it still remains to be said that if we are to dismiss Robert's quote as being a myth, that would mean we would also have to dismiss LBJ's famous line the right loves to claim he said about having "N****** voting democratic for 200 years". If LBJ's quote would not be something out of character for him to say, then the same could be argued for Roberts who staunchly refused to invite black golfers to his club until Elders won the PGA. Even refusing after the HOR asked him to invite Elder.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,905
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,925x in 8,803 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    I understand what you are pointing out, however, it still remains to be said that if we are to dismiss Robert's quote as being a myth, that would mean we would also have to dismiss LBJ's famous line the right loves to claim he said about having "N****** voting democratic for 200 years". If LBJ's quote would not be something out of character for him to say, then the same could be argued for Roberts who staunchly refused to invite black golfers to his club until Elders won the PGA. Even refusing after the HOR asked him to invite Elder.
    I have no doubt that he was pretty racist and may have made all manner of racist remarks privately. Whether he actually made that specific statement or it's just paraphrasing remarks he had made, it still doesn't mean that "The Masters" as a tournament name had a hidden meaning. I could see it if they had renamed the club, "The Masters".
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (06-26-2020)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 3,032
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,601x in 28,212 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Master Locks are used on chains. Ohhhh noooo!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (06-26-2020),Tahuyaman (06-27-2020)

+ Reply to Thread