Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    A simple respirator mask blocks airborne particulates, and since N95 masks don't block VOCs, that was a truly silly thing to do.
    Agree. They actually make it harder to breathe out fumes and cause them to build up in your respiratory system.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    The fit test is not a requirement for every mask change, only when initially selecting the type and size mask the employee will be wearing. OSHA is pretty clear on holding the employer responsible for employee safety, and according to NIOSH, a N95 and above face covering is considered a respirator. I constantly fight with my field managers on why they have to instruct their employees to purchase a non-NIOSH face covering instead of the N95s, because when I tell them the requirements of enrolling them into the respirator program and what it involves, they understand. This is not “something” I find on websites, this is knowledge gained from 15 years of working in safety and health.
    Ive been reading your posts in this thread with interest, the reason being, Fauci along with many other medical professionals stated the N95 is the only mask that offers a proper level of protection

I wear an N95 now some interesting points...my wife just had major surgery, you cant get in the hospital without a mask on and you cannot leave once youre in or you cannot return that day...none of the staff who all wear masks are wearing N95 they are wearing the same masks that I see walmart employees wearing...there are some wildly different opinions out there...

Osha has some comprehensive rules to protect workers, unfortunately many employees have no idea and most do not report employer violations...Unions however are very much aware of osha and its rules and win major contractual and safety battles with employers via osha

The triangle shirtwaist factory fire that killed many because the employers chained the doors shut on the inside so employees couldnt go outside and take breaks...that was the beginning of osha being a powerful advocate for workers...over 100 yrs ago

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (06-26-2020),Safety (06-26-2020)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
    how do you feel about wearing masks while committing arson looting destroying monuments assaulting cops and little old ladies
    notice

Notice

You have been TB'd for bad faith and off topic posting

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ive been reading your posts in this thread with interest, the reason being, Fauci along with many other medical professionals stated the N95 is the only mask that offers a proper level of protection

I wear an N95 now some interesting points...my wife just had major surgery, you cant get in the hospital without a mask on and you cannot leave once youre in or you cannot return that day...none of the staff who all wear masks are wearing N95 they are wearing the same masks that I see walmart employees wearing...there are some wildly different opinions out there...

Osha has some comprehensive rules to protect workers, unfortunately many employees have no idea and most do not report employer violations...Unions however are very much aware of osha and its rules and win major contractual and safety battles with employers via osha

The triangle shirtwaist factory fire that killed many because the employers chained the doors shut on the inside so employees couldnt go outside and take breaks...that was the beginning of osha being a powerful advocate for workers...over 100 yrs ago
    Part of the confusion stems from people misunderstanding that an N95 only filters 95% of particles .3 microns and larger. An N99 or N100 filters 99% and 100%(HEPA) of particles .3 microns and larger respectively. Your typical virus is measured in nanometers so the virus particle is much smaller than what the N95 and above can filter. If the virus was truly airborne, an N95, 99, or 100 would not help you at all. However, since this virus is not airborne, but can be aerosol and is usually bonded to something bigger (water, mucus, etc), the actual size is larger than .3 microns, therefore making the N95 an effective protection against COVID-19.

Yes, the tshirt factory tragedy is still used as a case study for Fire Life Safety training.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-26-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    That works until a) the bandanna slips and you get one lungful of air which will cause you to collapse and quickly die of smoke inhalation; b) until the fire gets too close to you and you'll feel this incredibly painful feeling on your lips and cheeks as the water on the bandanna turns to steam and you tear it off in agony and get that one lungful of air. It's much better to just crawl on the floor, breathing as little as possible and finds a means of egress out of the structure you are in.
    Or do both.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Or do both.
    I suppose you could try that, although as a firefighter I was taught to get out of the building as soon as possible if you are not wearing any SCBA (this is if you were at home or elsewhere while not on duty - we never go into a building without SCBA) since many people don't realize the toxicity of smoke.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

+ Reply to Thread