Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advertising pet peeves

Pet peeve

I don't understand how some stupid advertising agencies get paid to come up with some ridiculous and counter-producing campaigns. I mean, in my job, if I came up with something that obviously damaged my organization, I'd be fired.

So, a time-honored and always accurate main principle of advertising, is that people want to feel good about themselves when they are consuming the product being advertised. That's why ads for booze feature the consumers surrounded by babes and enjoying themselves.

So, we get this new ad series about Progressive Auto Insurance... featuring an absolute loser. This guy is lying on his couch all day, getting contemptuous looks from his girlfriend, doing nothing other than obsessing about his huge Progressive sign. All that he can get as a job, is flashing this sign around... And we, the viewers, are supposed to think "Oh great, let me identify myself with this loser; I'll definitely be calling Progressive for my next auto insurance deal!" Uh, no. Nope. I'll pass.

Then, Rocket Mortgages has this guy who has a wig and fake muscles and he gets home and takes out the fake stuff, and he is a skinny, weak, bald, bad-looking guy... but he got his mortgage from Rocket. Uh, am I supposed to say "OK, I'm eager to identify with this pathetic loser and get my mortgage from Rocket too!"???

I mean, what are these ad executives thinking??? What are they smoking??? And even worse, why are the executives from the companies being advertised, paying these idiots??? When an ad campaign is annoying and obnoxious, I'm more likely to take my business to their competitors.

Do you all have any other examples of extremely stupid ad campaigns?
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-27-2020),FindersKeepers (06-26-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 2,888
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ad where the cow, chicken, pig or cartoon food item is shown as sentient and happy that they are tasty!
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-27-2020),Common (06-26-2020),FindersKeepers (06-26-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CenterField's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 500x in 395 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Any ad where the cow, chicken, pig or cartoon food item is shown as sentient and happy that they are tasty!
    LOL, true. Even cheese.
    Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wear a mask, wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CenterField For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    State Farm's constant commercials promoting miscegenation. I left them and went to another insurance provider who doesn't force feed that to me.

Attachment 29987
    Last edited by Perianne; 06-25-2020 at 11:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perianne For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gee, but that kind of sentiment NEVER gets expressed on this forum...right?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Omar's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,519x in 4,630 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterField View Post
    Rocket Mortgages has this guy who has a wig and fake muscles and he gets home and takes out the fake stuff, and he is a skinny, weak, bald, bad-looking guy... but he got his mortgage from Rocket. Uh, am I supposed to say "OK, I'm eager to identify with this pathetic loser and get my mortgage from Rocket too!"???
    I get your point, but that's Jason Mamoa, who plays Aquaman and is well known for playing Kal Drogo in Game of Thrones.
    He's known for being a muscular action hero. So if you don't know who he is, you won't get the joke.
    His wife Lisa Bonet is also in that commercial, who was on The Cosby Show.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen Old People this is how it works, for decades Ad Companies targeted their commercials at the babyboomers.
    BabyBoomer population has dropped and every year it will be less, babyboomers are not the lucrative market for corporations or anyone that is peddling anything anymore.

The new ads are designed to connect with the generations who Corporations believe will enhance their greed the most. Corporations go where and do whatever it takes to get to where their most profit is, they are $#@!s who will sell themselves to ther biggest spenders

Its a new Dawn Old People, for us its dusk, harsh yes but its the reality of aging and becoming less important, every generation experiences it.

How do you combat it, record all your shows, watch nothing live so you dont have to watch commercials..I employ various means to avoid all that garbage

Right now the country is in the last phase of the Progressive Liberal plan of indoctrination, they are indoctrinating EVERYONE through so called entertainment and every day ads and commercials. The plan is to greatly influence the minds of youth and override their parents and their ideals...and desensitize young adults to whatever the left is peddling....seniors dont fit in the equasion we are throwaways to them.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Listen Old People this is how it works, for decades Ad Companies targeted their commercials at the babyboomers.
    BabyBoomer population has dropped and every year it will be less, babyboomers are not the lucrative market for corporations or anyone that is peddling anything anymore.

The new ads are designed to connect with the generations who Corporations believe will enhance their greed the most. Corporations go where and do whatever it takes to get to where their most profit is, they are $#@!s who will sell themselves to ther biggest spenders

Its a new Dawn Old People, for us its dusk, harsh yes but its the reality of aging and becoming less important, every generation experiences it.

How do you combat it, record all your shows, watch nothing live so you dont have to watch commercials..I employ various means to avoid all that garbage

Right now the country is in the last phase of the Progressive Liberal plan of indoctrination, they are indoctrinating EVERYONE through so called entertainment and every day ads and commercials. The plan is to greatly influence the minds of youth and override their parents and their ideals...and desensitize young adults to whatever the left is peddling....seniors dont fit in the equasion we are throwaways to them.
    I think you're mistaking a cultural change for a grand conspiracy to kill grandpa.

Either way, it sounds pretty crazy but also kinda funny.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (06-26-2020)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I think you're mistaking a cultural change for a grand conspiracy to kill grandpa.

Either way, it sounds pretty crazy but also kinda funny.
    No where did I say anything about killing grandpa and cultural change was EXACTLY what my post was about...brush up on comprehension please.

The statement seniors are throwaways was clearly meant that corporations and advertisers who target what they believe to be more lucrative markets. Celebrex and COPD meds and Oxygen companies target seniors, not exercise equiptment, sports drinks, and workout clothes
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an ad, per se, but on the sign above a tobacco store in Hutchinson, KS.

"Smoking, something the whole family can enjoy."
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-26-2020),Retirednsmilin308 (06-26-2020)

+ Reply to Thread